Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by David Orsam 1 minute ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Yabs 20 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Henry Flower 30 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Mike J. G. 30 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by John G 32 minutes ago.
General Discussion: Jacob Schikaneder - Murder in the house (1890) - by SirJohnFalstaff 33 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (101 posts)
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (56 posts)
Annie Chapman: Annie's scarf - (2 posts)
General Discussion: General Victoriana - (2 posts)
General Discussion: Slang terms - (1 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: East End Photographs and Drawings - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Witnesses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-17-2017, 11:46 AM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,376
Default Value of a lie

In the sources from the Nichols murder there are two hypothetical lies.

They have been used to construct an idea call the Mizen scam.

The whole problem is very simple in itīs structure. There was an inquest. Two men were sworn. One was a police contable. One was a carman.

The police constable stated that the carman told him that another police constable wanted him in Buckīs Row.

The carman, when asked, told the inquest he did not see a policeman in Buckīs Row.

One of these statements is a lie. That is the hypothesis.

But what was the value of a lie for the men at the inquest?

Mizen first. Steve wrote that Mizen was "just a man who has made a mistake, which had no material affect on the crime, trying to protect his reputation." Postulating now that his reputation was nearly destroyed by a newspaper article. Having the terrible story in the papers from Paul. Mizen was desperate. He must do something quickly. Before the police turned their backs on him. Before his reputation was destroyed in London.

What was the value of lying at the inquest, for Mizen?

Conclusion:

The value of the lie is protection of a police constables reputation.

Therefore, to protect his reputation, Mizen lied.

Therefore, to protect his reputation, Mizen took the risk of being exposed as a liar.

Therefore, to protect his reputation, Mizen took the risk of loosing his position.

The carman now. Hypothesizing the carman saw the killer and the killer saw him. He lied to protect his family from the killer.

What was the value of lying at the inquest, for Lechmere?

Conclusion:

The value of the lie is protection of the lives of his wife and his children and himself.

Therefore, to protect his wife and his children and himself, Lechmere lied.

Therefore, to protect his wife and his children and himself, Lechmere took the risk of being exposed as a liar.

Therefore, to protect his wife and children and himself, Lechmere took the risk of being suspected for the murder himself.

The hypothesis is supported by Lechmere giving the name Cross to the inquest.

The killer could not find his wife and children by asking for Mrs Cross. Her name and the name of the children was Lechmere.

The value of the first lie is equal to the protection of reputation.

The value of the second lie is equal to the protection of lives.

Pierre
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-17-2017, 04:04 PM
drstrange169 drstrange169 is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 949
Default

>>One of these statements is a lie. <<

I would disagree, one of the statements may very well have been a mistake and a mistake isn't a lie.
__________________
dustymiller
aka drstrange


"Whenever an expert says something that bolsters the Lechmere theory, it is not my task to disprove him ..."
Fisherman
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-17-2017, 04:11 PM
Herlock Sholmes Herlock Sholmes is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The West Midlands
Posts: 786
Default

I've probably missed something here Pierre but what leads you to believe that CL saw the killer and who do you think it was?
__________________
Regards

Herlock






"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-17-2017, 04:33 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
I've probably missed something here Pierre but what leads you to believe that CL saw the killer and who do you think it was?
Pierre thinks Cross saw a copper, who was the killer. But of course continues to throw out little hints and other types of BS without naming names, though for well over a year has been saying he needs just one little piece of data, or having the guts to set out exactly who and why.
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-17-2017, 05:19 PM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
I've probably missed something here Pierre but what leads you to believe that CL saw the killer and who do you think it was?
Who cares
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-18-2017, 01:57 AM
Brenda Brenda is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 388
Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
Pierre thinks Cross saw a copper, who was the killer. But of course continues to throw out little hints and other types of BS without naming names, though for well over a year has been saying he needs just one little piece of data, or having the guts to set out exactly who and why.
Next month it will be 2 years of this.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-18-2017, 02:02 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,441
Default

Interesting ideas Pierre.

However I would like to ask a question.

With Regards to Lechmere lying, do you have any independent data that shows anyone accepted Mizen's account of what happened?
Or do you have a third party confession recounting the event? (I know the answer to that of course.)

I ask simply because there are sources which suggest Mizen's account was not taken very seriousl, and analysis drawn from other data that it was not!

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-18-2017, 02:24 AM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
Next month it will be 2 years of this.
And just after it arrived he said "If I haven't solved it within 12 months I'll go away" or words to that effect.

But still .....
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-18-2017, 04:29 AM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,376
Default

[quote=Elamarna;426114]

Quote:
Interesting ideas Pierre.

However I would like to ask a question.

With Regards to Lechmere lying, do you have any independent data that shows anyone accepted Mizen's account of what happened?
Hi Steve,

What do you mean by "anyone accepted Mizenīs account"?

Quote:
Or do you have a third party confession recounting the event? (I know the answer to that of course.)
As you say, you know the answer.

Quote:
I ask simply because there are sources which suggest Mizen's account was not taken very seriousl, and analysis drawn from other data that it was not!
With "sources" do you mean articles or police papers?

Cheers, Pierre
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-18-2017, 04:51 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

Hi Steve,

What do you mean by "anyone accepted Mizenīs account"?
I mean any official report which suggest that Mizen's superior officers or even the coroner was convinced his account was accurate. Note I do not say truthful has that is a personal perception and Mizen may have believed what he reported was truthful even if it were not


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

As you say, you know the answer.

With "sources" do you mean articles or police papers?

Cheers, Pierre
Certainly not articles Pierre

Firstly Official Police reports.
Secondly Reports of the inquest testimony of several.

I find your policeman theory intriguing, but lacking in support from the sources.

Cheers


Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.