Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Pcdunn 4 hours ago.
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by ChrisGeorge 4 hours ago.
Non-Ripper Books by Ripper Authors: Mob Town by John Bennett - by ChrisGeorge 4 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Pcdunn 6 hours ago.
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - by etenguy 8 hours ago.
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - by Wickerman 10 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (31 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (9 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Was Jack caught by London underworld? - (5 posts)
Non-Ripper Books by Ripper Authors: Mob Town by John Bennett - (2 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (2 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Audio -- Visual > Rippercast

Old 08-11-2017, 10:54 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag View Post
It wasn’t just a dumbing down of the Chapman story – it propagated myths and lies and fabrications that have been comprehensively debunked in Helena’s book. Five years ago Karl could have got away with it, but since Helena’s book was published in 2013 there is absolutely no excuse for anyone – not even a newbie – to get the basic, rudimentary facts of Chapman’s life wrong.
Hello Dag

I fully agree with you about Helena's superb book, but I'd just like to say that I've tried, in a small way, to debunk a few Kłosowski myths myself, since the mid-2000s on Casebook and JTRForums, and in the flesh (or voice) on a Rippercast with R Michael Gordon, and at the London Ripperconf in 2010.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Last edited by Sam Flynn : 08-11-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:39 AM
Sergeant

Dear all

I think it is a disgrace to create a podcast about a suspect without reading the most up to date research, especially if that research has been praised to the skies by famous Ripperologists, as my book has.

Jon, you say "I believe he has said that his main sources were Sugden, Begg, Evans and Rumbelow." It may interest you to know that Begg and Evans (and Fido and Skinner) approached me by email and asked me to correct their info on Chapman in their own books, for the new editions! So, even they recognise me as the world expert on him.

As for my book not being widely available, it's on Amazon, it's available via my website, the link to which is on every one of my posts, under my name! Plenty of copies were sold to people in the USA. One could have been borrowed.

Jon you say you are responsible for the content, and yet you have read my book, so I am puzzled that the podcast went out with so many glaring errors. (I am particularly appalled by his victims all being referred to as his "wives" when he wasn't married to any of them.)

If it was too much trouble to check my book before making the podcast, I am a very easy person to contact, via here, JTRF, Facebook, my website, etc, and you could have run the script past me prior to broadcast and I would have corrected it for you, free of charge.

As for the Polish pronunciation, I could have guided the narrator on that, too!

I don't mind people disagreeing with what I wrote in my book (so long as they can bring evidence to show where they are correct and I am wrong.) I welcome my research being challenged; I like discussion and debate and would welcome corrections and new information.

What I find extremely (and undeservedly) insulting is to have people completely ignore my book, just as though it had never been written. I put three years of my life into it, found out more about him than anyone else has in the last 125 years, and for this I deserve the respect of acknowledging that my research exists.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Last edited by HelenaWojtczak : 08-13-2017 at 05:42 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:55 AM
Inspector

Again, it's an audio production of Karl's blog which he had finished writing and publishing online prior to doing the narration for the Rippercast series. I would not have asked him to go back and read a few more books and then re-write any portions of it. You believe it's a "disgrace" and you're entitled to you opinion, as you loudly express this same opinion time and again when anything written about George Chapman after the publication of your book contains any errors, even down to an incorrect spelling of his name in Ripperologist Magazine.
Karl didn't read your book. Period. I'm through discussing it.

JM
Old 08-13-2017, 07:00 AM
Sergeant

The point of a podcast is to present to listeners the facts about a suspect. If you are just going to broadcast unscholarly, untrue, out-of-date myths then you are giving people the wrong information. It makes the whole exercise utterly pointless. People don't listen in order to hear stuff that is untrue, a load of myths and lies etc. And that is why it matters. In academic work, history work, truth matters; diligence matters; correctness matters. You can't just say "any old thing" any more and get away with it.

==================

Jon, your final response shows clearly you have zero respect for me or my book.

No wonder the podcast went out without any reference to my work, if it was being overseen by someone bearing a personal sexist prejudice.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Last edited by HelenaWojtczak : 08-13-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:12 AM
Cadet

This is extraordinary.

I haven't read your book. I apologise. To be appalled at that is astonishing.

I wrote the blog for a general overview rather than for Ripperologists which was just as well as I didn't know any until recently.

Thank you for your criticism and comments. How about we make this deal? You don't read me and I won't read you.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:17 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
Jon, your response shows clearly you have zero respect for me or my book.

No wonder the podcast went out without any reference to my work, if it was being overseen by someone bearing a personal sexist prejudice.
I was waiting for that accusation from you. You're f*ucking crazy. Go away.

JM
Old 08-13-2017, 07:21 AM
Sergeant

I'm not appalled that someone hasn't read my book, "Cenci".

I'm appalled that anyone would broadcast a load of myths and lies and nonsense, after a diligent and meticulous historian, an elected Fellow of the Royal Historical Society, no less, has spent three years painstakingly dispelling those myths and lies.

Surely, if you can't be bothered to discover the true facts about a suspect, it's better not to do the podcast at all than to spread a load of lies, myths and mistakes.

If you think it's a good thing to broadcast a load of lies and myths, you can explain why here.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:23 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmenges View Post

JM
That's "f*ucking crazy BSc (Hons) FRHistS" actually Jon.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:26 AM
Inspector

I've reported your post directed at me to Admin. I won't be slandered. So hopefully we won't have to be explaining much else to you before too long.

JM
Old 08-13-2017, 07:28 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmenges View Post

JM
This is just the sort of post we like to see on Casebook: Adult, detailed, well-reasoned, free of petty personal insults.

Oh, wait a minute.. .I seem to be accidentally responding to the wrong post! My apologies.