Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Scene of the Crimes: East End Walk - by MrBarnett 37 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Michael W Richards 46 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Michael W Richards 1 hour and 5 minutes ago.
General Discussion: Albert Backert - did he emigrate? - by Nelson 1 hour and 7 minutes ago.
Elizabeth Stride: Elizabeth's murder and the double event - by Michael W Richards 1 hour and 15 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Michael W Richards 1 hour and 19 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (15 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (13 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (10 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (10 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (7 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: Elizabeth's murder and the double event - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #211  
Old 08-12-2017, 10:49 AM
Iconoclast Iconoclast is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
Here's a one that has slipped in under the radar.

As I said, I'm not certain that the above is an accurate description of events, but I believe it went something like that.
A wonderful illustration of the naysayer's art: "I only remember what suits my argument and I wouldn't dream of researching it before I post it even if it does lead astray even more readers with my tenuous grasp of the facts".

It hasn't 'slipped under the radar'. Most of us will have seen your original post and thought "Oh dear, not that old chestnut that has been discussed a thousand times without any firm conclusions either way?".

For the record, there is no evidence whatsoever that McCormick altered anything. It just suits the naysayers to perpetuate the urban myth that his 1959 book was a source of rhyming in the journal. Not proven. Barely even credible. And yet still people post it. Saying that you are unsure of your facts does not reduce the impact on the feableminded who believe everything that gets posted, therefore adding such caveats is no defence against the ignorance of the post.

Does my napper in, it really does.

Ike
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 08-12-2017, 10:58 AM
Iconoclast Iconoclast is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 631
Default

Gentlemen,

I don't mean to cut this short, but no one in their right mind has any doubt what twats the nazis were and what they did in the concentration camps. We don't need to debate it here. David, whilst the analogy you drew was perfectly valid, it is dangerous ground to use for purely illustrative purpose and is guaranteed to shift the argument away from what was intended, and potentially introduce angst where angst was not intended nor required.

Let's get back to James Maybrick and the undeniable fact that he was Jack the Spratt McVitie.

Ike
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 08-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
For the record, there is no evidence whatsoever that McCormick altered anything.
He might not have altered anything, but there's a strong possibility that he made $hit up. Poems for example.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 08-12-2017, 11:10 AM
Iconoclast Iconoclast is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
He might not have altered anything, but there's a strong possibility that he made **** up.
That may be the case, Sammy, but the tone of your post - whilst anti-journal as ever - is not naysaying. The tone of Observer's was pure naysaying, and it just does my napper in.

Ike

Last edited by Iconoclast : 08-12-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 08-12-2017, 11:11 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
That may be the case, Sammy, but the tone of your post - whilst anti-journal as ever - is not naysaying.
Anti-McCormick, strictly speaking.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 08-12-2017, 11:17 AM
Iconoclast Iconoclast is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Anti-McCormick, strictly speaking.
Duly noted.

Ike
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 08-12-2017, 12:23 PM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
David, whilst the analogy you drew was perfectly valid, it is dangerous ground to use for purely illustrative purpose and is guaranteed to shift the argument away from what was intended, and potentially introduce angst where angst was not intended nor required.
That may be so (although I can't be responsible for other people misunderstanding my post) but I would remind you of your post to which I was responding:

"It is defining because it encapsulates another truth, this one spoken - as I recall - by Keith Skinner: "We just can't shake it".

And 25 years later, we still can't (despite Mr Orsam's best efforts)."


And I would comment that if you mention my user name in a post for no apparent reason, this is dangerous ground to use for purely illustrative purposes and is guaranteed to shift the argument away from what was intended, and potentially introduce angst where angst was not intended nor required.
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 08-12-2017, 03:10 PM
Iconoclast Iconoclast is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
That may be so (although I can't be responsible for other people misunderstanding my post) but I would remind you of your post to which I was responding:

"It is defining because it encapsulates another truth, this one spoken - as I recall - by Keith Skinner: "We just can't shake it".

And 25 years later, we still can't (despite Mr Orsam's best efforts)."


And I would comment that if you mention my user name in a post for no apparent reason, this is dangerous ground to use for purely illustrative purposes and is guaranteed to shift the argument away from what was intended, and potentially introduce angst where angst was not intended nor required.
Okay, David - if that makes you feel righteous, fill yer boots. Personally, I think you're really over-reaching there. I suspect any angst you may have felt at my innocuous use of your name rather pales somewhat in the other context, but that's mebbes just me.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much springs to mind, but maybe that's just me too. Not every post is an argument and therefore not every post has to be 'won', but if it makes you feel better, you've 'definitely' won that one. Evidently my tongue-in-cheek reference to you justified the rather unexpected analogy, and I thought I'd made my point politely and without rancour. Personally, I felt it should have ended there and we should have got back on with the joys of seeking Jack. Evidently you were determined to find a big boy who ran away, and it appears that it was I.

Ike
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 08-12-2017, 04:59 PM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Okay, David - if that makes you feel righteous, fill yer boots. Personally, I think you're really over-reaching there. I suspect any angst you may have felt at my innocuous use of your name rather pales somewhat in the other context, but that's mebbes just me.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much springs to mind, but maybe that's just me too. Not every post is an argument and therefore not every post has to be 'won', but if it makes you feel better, you've 'definitely' won that one. Evidently my tongue-in-cheek reference to you justified the rather unexpected analogy, and I thought I'd made my point politely and without rancour. Personally, I felt it should have ended there and we should have got back on with the joys of seeking Jack. Evidently you were determined to find a big boy who ran away, and it appears that it was I.
It's you missing the humour!

Talk about the lady doth protest too much.....
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 08-13-2017, 04:38 AM
Observer Observer is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
A wonderful illustration of the naysayer's art: "I only remember what suits my argument and I wouldn't dream of researching it before I post it even if it does lead astray even more readers with my tenuous grasp of the facts".

It hasn't 'slipped under the radar'. Most of us will have seen your original post and thought "Oh dear, not that old chestnut that has been discussed a thousand times without any firm conclusions either way?".

For the record, there is no evidence whatsoever that McCormick altered anything. It just suits the naysayers to perpetuate the urban myth that his 1959 book was a source of rhyming in the journal. Not proven. Barely even credible. And yet still people post it. Saying that you are unsure of your facts does not reduce the impact on the feableminded who believe everything that gets posted, therefore adding such caveats is no defence against the ignorance of the post.

Does my napper in, it really does.

Ike
I'm doing your napper in? Ha ! Consider it payback for the amount of times you've got up my nose for your irritable attempts at wit and humour.

As for slipping under the radar, I was referring to the fact that nobody had responded to Hunter's post regarding the "Eight Little Whores".

I don't own Donald McCormick's book on JTR, but I do own "The Witchcraft Murders", and having carried out a considerable amount of time looking into the murder of Charles Walton in 1945, I realise that Mr McCormick was no stranger to bending the truth somewhat.

However, (and this is for the feeble minded who are looking in) it appears that Donald McCormick featured the "Eight Little Whores" poem in his book as a result of information gleaned from Thomas Dutton who told McCormick that he had saw the poem in a letter that had been sent to the police at the time of the murders. Now, I don't know if the police would have allowed Dutton to see the crank letters that were submitted to them at the time of the murders, but if they did then he would have needed to have copied the "Eight Little Whores" poem because I doubt whether he could have consigned it to memory. It's all a little far fetched if you ask me.

What is fact is that there is a section in the Diary/Journal which goes like this

One whore in heaven
two whores side by side
three whores all have died
four


The hoaxer err the Diarist also wrote

"It shall come, if Michael can succeed in rhyming verse then I can do better, a great deal better he shall not outdo me"

The above is an obvious attempt to mimic the "Eight Little Whores" poem. It is my contention that the hoaxer used McCormicks book to pen the attempt at the verse above. The alternative is that Maybrick penned and sent the poem to the police in a letter. Yeah right.

Of course, I will leave it to the able minded, and also the feeble minded to make up their own minds. By the way Iconoclast you are not going to do yourself any favours by implying that there are feeble minded individuals perusing these threads, that's very wrong of you. I have no doubt that the individuals looking in here are all very able minded. The proof being that not a single person has posted in favour of your ridiculous notion that Maybrick's family are implicated by initial in the GSG.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.