Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Mary Jane Kelly: Mary Kellys husband - by Darryl Kenyon 1 hour and 8 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Mary Kellys husband - by Darryl Kenyon 2 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Mary Kellys husband - by Wickerman 5 hours ago.
Mary Ann Nichols: Double throat cuts - by Wickerman 6 hours ago.
Other: Two London Murder Mysteries - by Abby Normal 7 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Nature of Evidence - by harry 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Nature of Evidence - (102 posts)
Mary Ann Nichols: Double throat cuts - (57 posts)
Other: Two London Murder Mysteries - (10 posts)
Audio -- Visual: Exorcist and JTR - (7 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Mary Kellys husband - (6 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Apron placement as intimidation? - (6 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Lechmere/Cross, Charles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1901  
Old 07-17-2017, 09:03 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Jacob Levy's brother lived in the Wentworth Building (where the GSG was found) & his cousin, the witness Joseph Levy, was described as having something to hide. He lived right in the hot-zone and he was a butcher.
thanks Harry
interesting. where did Jacob live and occupation?
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1902  
Old 07-17-2017, 09:05 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is online now
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
while I agree with this, I believe Lech is the only "suspect" where it is on record that the victims coincide with his route to work at roughly the same time, and in the case of stride his mother lived very close by. I'm not sure we can get that specific with any other suspect.

however, that being said, one of my biggest problems with Lech as a suspect, is I still have a hard time believing the ripper would be doing his thing on his way TO work. now if it coincided with his getting OFF of work....
Interesting points Abby.

If we just use the C5 for suspects, we can see that it was highly unlikely that Chapman, in a backyard, Stride in a court yard hidden in the dark, ofr Kelly could possibly be found by any suspect on his way to work.
However in the Stride case we have a man returning from work who has recently been cast as a suspect.
That leaves just Eddowes alone who could have been found by someone else.

On the issue of Stride and the proximity of his mother to the murder site, dear old AK beats it twice. At the time of the murders he was probably living in providence street, closer than Lechmere's mother. In addition he also almost certainly at one stage lived next door to Dutfields yard. It proves nothing but certainly can be said to trump Lechmere.


Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1903  
Old 07-17-2017, 09:12 AM
Harry D Harry D is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
thanks Harry
interesting. where did Jacob live and occupation?
36 Middlesex Street, which itself was a stone's throw from Goulston Street.
__________________
Hail to the king, baby!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1904  
Old 07-17-2017, 09:13 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is online now
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
thanks Harry
interesting. where did Jacob live and occupation?
Hi Abby.

Middlesex street and a butcher.

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1905  
Old 07-17-2017, 09:13 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Interesting points Abby.

If we just use the C5 for suspects, we can see that it was highly unlikely that Chapman, in a backyard, Stride in a court yard hidden in the dark, ofr Kelly could possibly be found by any suspect on his way to work.
However in the Stride case we have a man returning from work who has recently been cast as a suspect.
That leaves just Eddowes alone who could have been found by someone else.

On the issue of Stride and the proximity of his mother to the murder site, dear old AK beats it twice. At the time of the murders he was probably living in providence street, closer than Lechmere's mother. In addition he also almost certainly at one stage lived next door to Dutfields yard. It proves nothing but certainly can be said to trump Lechmere.


Steve
hi El

Quote:
If we just use the C5 for suspects, we can see that it was highly unlikely that Chapman, in a backyard, Stride in a court yard hidden in the dark, ofr Kelly could possibly be found by any suspect on his way to work.
well obviously the killer, in the lech scenario, would have not found them where their bodies were found, unless he knew and knew where Kelly lived, he would have found them in the street and gone with them to the murder site.

Quote:
However in the Stride case we have a man returning from work who has recently been cast as a suspect.
That leaves just Eddowes alone who could have been found by someone else.
No comprende-I have no idea what you are getting at with these two sentences-please explain.

Quote:
On the issue of Stride and the proximity of his mother to the murder site, dear old AK beats it twice. At the time of the murders he was probably living in providence street, closer than Lechmere's mother. In addition he also almost certainly at one stage lived next door to Dutfields yard. It proves nothing but certainly can be said to trump Lechmere.
well in this one case of Stride, OK AK also fits the bill, but not with all of them like Lech, no?
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1906  
Old 07-17-2017, 09:15 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is online now
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
36 Middlesex Street, which itself was a stone's throw from Goulston Street.
Hi Harry. Levy is a viable suspect if not on everbodies list

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1907  
Old 07-17-2017, 09:16 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
36 Middlesex Street, which itself was a stone's throw from Goulston Street.
Thanks Harry
I never considered Jacob levy a valid suspect before.Nothing ties him to the case. Until it was found that his cousin might be one of the mitre square witnesess.

Has it been conclusively established they were cousins? if so that's a bigee for me-because now he does have an actual connection to the case, even if its peripheral.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1908  
Old 07-17-2017, 09:30 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is online now
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
hi El

well obviously the killer, in the lech scenario, would have not found them where their bodies were found, unless he knew and knew where Kelly lived, he would have found them in the street and gone with them to the murder site.

I am assuming he found Nichols in Bucks Row but your point is valid to a degree.
However if in the 3 casrs I mentioned someone had been found by another close to the body it would be far harder to explain that away as being a chance discovery on the way to work than is the case for Lechmere..


No comprende-I have no idea what you are getting at with these two sentences-please explain.

Stride was found on the return route of the club steward, who found the body and was accused of being a member of a gang of Rippers late last year.

Eddowes to me is the only one who if someone was found close by may have a viable excuse of chance discovery. Ties in with my first point.


well in this one case of Stride, OK AK also fits the bill, but not with all of them like Lech, no?


Chapman only fits time wise if we accept the murder took place even earlier than Phillips suggests and we ignore all the witnesses.
I don't think lech ties into Stride or Eddowes. The timing seems wrong to me. Heading towards Liverpool street after Stride seems illogical. Far better to have headed East and North surely given the time.

However it's of course open to debate.



Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1909  
Old 07-17-2017, 09:32 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is online now
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Thanks Harry
I never considered Jacob levy a valid suspect before.Nothing ties him to the case. Until it was found that his cousin might be one of the mitre square witnesess.

Has it been conclusively established they were cousins? if so that's a bigee for me-because now he does have an actual connection to the case, even if its peripheral.

Abby the best info on him is in a copy of Ripperologist, gives the family links. Will see if I can find it for you.

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1910  
Old 07-17-2017, 09:37 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is online now
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Abby the best info on him is in a copy of Ripperologist, gives the family links. Will see if I can find it for you.

Steve
Hi Abby

Edition 124.

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.