Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Mary Kelly killed in daylight hours.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    ..... It also propagates the idea that MJK wasn't the victim found in Miller's Court.
    There's one of those annoying little quotes in the press that I do not think has been investigated to the extent it should be. I could be wrong, but I don't recall much done about this.

"One woman remarked to a reporter, - "I know the woman well. I've often drank with her; but bless yer life, I don't know her proper name. We called her Mary Jane. We don't often know one another's names. Nobody knows mine."

The above quote is often included with a story that the victim was known as Lizzie Fisher, but known locally as "Mary Jane".

I don't know if anyone really researched all the "Elizabeth Fisher's" in their early 20's in 1888.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
      Hi,
      If Maxwell was mistaken , it was most likely with Lizzie Albrook , who apparently worked in Dorset street lodging houses,
      ''Saw the deceased about the lodging house'' claimed Mrs M, she was young like Mary and may have caused Maxwell to be mixed up, she also lived in Millers court.
      Regards Richard.
      was lizzie at the inquest?
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hi Abby,
        Lizzie was not called at the inquest.
        Regards Richard,
        Last edited by richardnunweek; 06-28-2017, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
          Hi,
          It was recently mentioned, that we never really have had a thread, that was dedicated to this .
          So I have started one.
          I have always believed Mrs Maxwell , and to a point other witnesses, that claimed to have seen the woman Kelly that morning.
          How about you?
          Regards Richard.
          I think Maxwell was telling the truth. Apparently she wasn't the only one claiming to have seen Mary that morning.

Mary was clearly in a hurry. I don't believe she's the one they found at millers court, it could've been an acquaintance, someone she lent her room to?

Anyways, that's my opinion...

Jaden
          “If I cannot bend heaven, I will raise hell.”

Comment

Hi all,

I thought that I'd throw in a 'scenario' here.

We know that MJK allowed other prostitutes to stay at Millers Court with her. I believe that it was one of the reasons mentioned by Joe Barnett for why he'd walked out (as well as not being pleased about her being a prostitute herself.) Let's propose that sometime on the morning of 9th November a woman staying with Mary ( let's call her Miss X ) asks Mary if she can have 'use' of the room for an hour or so. Mary goes out, probably for a drink. When she gets back she find that her room has been turned into a slaughterhouse. She staggers back out into the street. Shortly after she bumps into Caroline Maxwell. Maxwell sees that Kelly has thrown up but an in shock Kelly blames the drink. She's in shock, doesn't know what to do so she goes for a drink. Maybe she sought out and found Joe Barnett for advice/help. She tells him that she could never sleep in that room again. Joe tells her that if she goes to the police she'll be asked to identify the body (the thought of doing this horrifies Mary.) Maybe Joe came up with a plan or maybe it was a joint effort: don't go back. From how you've described the body they won't know it's not you. Plus you'll get away with your rent arrears. Move away, change your name, move on.
            The police call on Barnett. He identifies the body as Mary.

Just a scenario chaps. Who knows though?

Regards
            Herlock

Comment

Any number of scenarios can be put forth where the murdered woman in Mary's room is not actually Mary but someone else. But if we employ Occam's Razor the default position would have to be that it was in fact Mary. I have not seen any actual evidence to the contrary so any scenario challenging that has to be taken as pure speculation until proven otherwise.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                Any number of scenarios can be put forth where the murdered woman in Mary's room is not actually Mary but someone else. But if we employ Occam's Razor the default position would have to be that it was in fact Mary. I have not seen any actual evidence to the contrary so any scenario challenging that has to be taken as pure speculation until proven otherwise.

c.d.
                Absolutely c.d. Couldn't agree more. It was just a bit of an exercise to 'cover' the Maxwell statement.

Regards
                Herlock

Comment

Understood, Herlock.

c.d.

Comment

was mary,s hair color naturally ginger, or was it dyed? i,d be interested to know what color Caroline Maxwell saw. i thought i remember something about mary having a shawl over her head when Maxwell sees her but i could be misremembering.
                    there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Mrs Maxwell says - She spoke to Kelly, asking her why she was up so early, to which Kelly replied that she had the horrors of drink upon her as she had been drinking for some days previously. Mrs Maxwell suggested she go and have a drink in 'Mrs Ringers' (The Britannia), but Kelly replied that she had already done so and brought it up, pointing to some vomit in the road. If this is the case wouldn't the stomach be virtually empty, no potatoes, no fish. And i can't see her buying/eating/cooking a meal in that state. Also Maurice Lewis says he saw her in the Horn of Plenty and The Brittania with various people. Why didn't these people come forward to corroborate his story [ or anyone else in these pubs for that matter ]. Her body was only found a few hours later, and the news would have spread like wildfire.

Comment

Fix
                        Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
                        was mary,s hair color naturally ginger, or was it dyed? i,d be interested to know what color Caroline Maxwell saw. i thought i remember something about mary having a shawl over her head when Maxwell sees her but i could be misremembering.
                        Hi Robert.
                        I started a thread a while back on Kelly's hair colour, but I don't think there's enough info to say. Only one report I found described the actual colour, which I believe was 'light'. But Barnett did say she was nicknamed "Ginger"

Comment

Hi.Joshua,
                          According to a hearsay account from Kelly's landlord's great granddaughter, Mary's hair was red, thus Ginger may be relevant, she also obviously liked Ginger beer, as some was in her room.
                          Regards Richard.

Comment

Good point about the ginger beer bottles. Richard!

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                              Fix

Hi Robert.
                              I started a thread a while back on Kelly's hair colour, but I don't think there's enough info to say. Only one report I found described the actual colour, which I believe was 'light'. But Barnett did say she was nicknamed "Ginger"

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=9819
                              would you think her hair would be an identifying feature for caroline maxwell?
                              there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                                Fix

Hi Robert.

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=9819
                                Hi Josh and Robert

The late British Ripperologist Des McKenna noted that a number of the unfortunates tinted their hair with "henna" a common hair dye of the day that imparted a red tint to the woman's hair. See http://www.casebook.org/dissertations/dst-desmary.html

Also see http://www.hennaforhair.com/history/patti.html.

Best regards

Chris
                                Christopher T. George
                                Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                                just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                                For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                                RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Working...
                                X