Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any other fiction writers here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't read a lot of Atwood, but will try "Aliad Grace." My favorite Candaian mystery series is "Murdoch", which has been aired here under the title "The Artful Detective."
    Some of her stuff is too dense for me, and I don't follow it as well...but I also liked an earlier work of hers called The Edible Woman.

PS: I finished MAYHEM, and the English author Sarah Pinborough puts in her Acknowledgments section:

The most valuable Internet resource for anyone writing in this period has to be the 'Casebook: Jack the Ripper' website where there is a wealth of information and discussion.

So, she was a lurker here at one point...or actively involved!

Comment

Originally posted by Merry_Olde_Mary View Post
      'allo, pets.

I am working on a novel that has a London 1888 setting, and wonder if others might be interested in some thread where we keep each other updated as to our progress and research, etc. Basically, I'm looking at different ways to get myself going again. I've done quite a bit of research on the UK Victorians (as opposed to our American ones) via biographies and books about architecture, customs, etc. and am kind of still in that SWAMP of understanding their day to day lives...which dictates how the characters spend their days, how long it takes for them to get somewhere in town...basically, EVERYTHING.

But the (many many) details are still unclear. For instance, I Just this week changed tacks and started in on some fiction set in 1888, and one book stated "He turned on a small gas lamp." How does one do that, exactly? The Victorians were thrifty, so I don't think lamps were kept permanently lit on a pilot light and just turned up when they needed more light...how does one "turn on" a small gas lamp? And is that different from a small oil lamp??

Uggh.

As to my own experience, the work of mine that's been produced has been stage plays, done on a smaller scale in both Manhattan and Hollywood. I worked for many years in the literary department of a very high ranking talent agency, which you would think would give me insight into writing the Perfect Novel. Unfortunately, it doesn't, necessarily. It's helped me note what NOT to do...but not exactly WHAT to do. Which is, of course, tragic.

I need someone to talk to!!
      Hi merry
      I write books and poetry. I had a book, juvenile fiction, a fantasy called the popcornmaker published a while back. It's available on the net at various sites that sell books and also on Amazon.
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Welcome Merry Old Mary

I think more important than worrying about gas lamps [ Don't get bogged down in detail] is to understand the very rigid and stratified class system in the 19th century. From Ladies and Gentlemen in society,upper class,who did not work. public school.Younger sons and relatives of this class who became Army officers, Bishops and Barristers, landed gentry. Industrial class of wealthy Self made manufacturers, who sometimes married into the upper class. Middle class professionals Solicitors, Doctors , Clergy. Lower middle class,artisans. clerks butlers.,Publicans. Police shopworkers. Working class servants, labourers, factory workers and the extreme poor.
        Everyone knew exactly what class anyone was, by their accent,their clothes, their manner, their status. The upper classes despised anyone' in trade' anyone who sold anything for a living even if very rich.
        Then there was the Demi Monde, bohemians those from all groups who engaged in such activites as Art, Theatre, Literature, Music and did not give a fig for society and lived by their own rules.
        The middle classes were very respectable and thrifty and hated scandal and tried to abide by conventions. Ironically the upper and lowest class had the most in common as both could do what they liked and had shared interests such as gambling, sport and whores. Hope this is helpful.

Miss Marple

Comment

Working...
        X