Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Local killer for local people................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rainbow View Post
    A Juryman: Did you hear any vehicle pass the slaughterhouse? - No, sir.
    [Juryman?] Would you have heard it if there had been one? - Yes, sir

[B]
    Please explain what relevance the slaughter house in Winthrop street as to the possible use off a cart in Bucks Row.

I happen to agree that the mention of a cart is irrelevant too. However the response given is pointless.

Rainbow°

Steve

Comment

For what it's worth, there was a reasonably priced tram service running between Whitechapel and Bow....although not after midnight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
        Indeed, however it was quite common for people to move around for those reasons without leaving the confines of Whitechapel. From doss-house to doss-house, from street to street, from Ratcliff Highway to Commercial Road.
        True, Sam. Jack might have moved about, yet stayed within Whitechapel, we really don't know.
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow View Post
          Where did he park them ?! In a Parking place as we do today ?!
          Kind of.
          Murder site, Castle Alley, was a place that carts were left during the night and someone was paid to keep an eye out for them.

They were called cart minders, and Mrs Longs husband, James, was a cart minder.

Comment

Hi all
            Is there a way to search the London electoral register for 1888 by street ?
            I'm trying to find out who lives in some specific streets
            All the best
            Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Craig H View Post
              Hi all
              Is there a way to search the London electoral register for 1888 by street ?
              I'm trying to find out who lives in some specific streets
              All the best
              Craig
              Ancestry has the 1888 electoral rolls for London (including Whitechapel) and you can insert key word of the street address. Note not everyone could vote in the nineteenth century.

Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul - I'll check out Ancestry.
                I thought it required you to put in a person's name, Will look again
                Many thanks
                Craig

Comment

It might require trial and error, but if you search by record type (census, electoral roll, London electoral roll prior to search) it should then give you something useable.

I've attached an example for Hanbury Street as a search term but you may need to adjust to get all you want

Paul
                  Attached Files

Comment

Does anyone have a list of who lived in the zone where the Ripper killings occurred ? Paul's shown how to get this information from the 1888 Electoral records on Ancestry.com.

I understand it's a list of those registered to vote - which is only a sub-set of total population in the area.

It would take a long time to search by street. I'm hoping someone may have done this already.

Any suggestions ?

Craig

Comment

I didn't really want to create a new thread just for this, so thought I'd just ask here:

What of Henry Tompkins the horse slaughterer? I know there was some slight suspicion about his movements on the night of Nichols' murder, but was there any further suspicion about him? Or was he sufficiently cleared?

I always found his comment about not liking women to be a little odd, not that that would incriminate him! but you get what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig H View Post
                        Does anyone have a list of who lived in the zone where the Ripper killings occurred ? Paul's shown how to get this information from the 1888 Electoral records on Ancestry.com.

I understand it's a list of those registered to vote - which is only a sub-set of total population in the area.

It would take a long time to search by street. I'm hoping someone may have done this already.

Any suggestions ?

Craig
                        I would hazard that this would be nigh on impossible, when you consider that lots of people wouldn't appear on the roll, then when you throw into the mi misspelling of foreign names and already your going to experience problems complying your list.

Comment

Francis Thompson, a modern suspect, is said to have lived 80 yards from Mary Kelly's home, at the Providence Row night refuge in Crispin Street, opposite Dorset Street.
                          Author of

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X