Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 20 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 23 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Elamarna 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Debra A 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Debra A 4 hours ago.
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by ChrisGeorge 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (36 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (8 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Was Jack caught by London underworld? - (4 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (2 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (1 posts)
Non-Ripper Books by Ripper Authors: Mob Town by John Bennett - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications

Old 06-14-2017, 09:27 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post
Apparently we don't. We're expected to just skip the dozens of concurrent threads the oaf starts, if we think he's full of crap. Oh, and skip his endless diatribes on any and every thread anyone else starts, especially re Lechmere, which threads he habitually destroys also, despite his frequent mewling that David Orsam must NOT destroy Pierre's own threads.

Personally I shall now take this forum off my bookmarks and go play somewhere else. Pierre is everywhere on the forums: it's like when you order fish at the restaurant, but it seems to be more bones than meat, and you end up nibbling little scraps until the pleasure of the meal is entirely ruined.
Henry, There is no doubt that the Casebook Forum is a much less enjoyable experience than I have found it in the past.

I try not to jump on to every posting unless I think I have something useful to contribute.
Many people simply take an idea for a walk, and that is an entirely legitimate and reasonable way to approach the boards.

Pierre however seems happy to jump on to a large number of postings and contribute absolutely nothing.
Indeed, the question could fairly be asked, is Pierre helping or hindering the Casebook?

With his superior knowing air, and his frankly sometimes bizarre ramblings, I find it almost impossible to get anything out of it.

Fisherman, on the other hand, has had the honesty and integrity to put out there his own (not outlandish) theory.
He puts his case well and rebuts his detractors with what he considers to be salient facts and hypotheses.

Can we say the same for Pierre?

I simply do not understand why Pierre does not set up his own web page (fairly easy to do) and publish his research on that particular site.

This is not a personal attack on Pierre, whom I have never met.

It is however an attack on his supposed "historical" approach on these boards.

Enough is enough!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:12 PM
Inactive

[quote=Bridewell;416985]

Quote:
Where I think Pierre has a point of sorts is in suggesting that a man who can spell 'nothing' correctly (i.e. without using the 'u' which phonetic spelling would suggest) would be unlikely to insert a 'u' into a spelling of the word 'Jews'.
Yes, that is the question.

Quote:
I'm drawn to the notion that the GSG has no relevance to the Whitechapel Murders beyond a coincidental proximity to the missing piece of the Eddowes apron. Whether relevant or not, what and why was the error made by whoever did write it?
Or why was the error made by whoever read it?

Quote:
A couple of possibilities:

The writer's first language was not English: a German or French speaker might, from force of habit, begin to write 'Juden' or 'Juifs'.
But there is no source for that.

Quote:
The GSG was written and then the spelling of this word was corrected - which might explain reports that the writing was blurred.
And there is a source for this.

Cheers, Pierre
Old 06-14-2017, 02:37 PM
Chief Inspector

Jewes. It was Jewes.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Commisioner

it was jutes. The ripper was obviously a disgruntled Celt.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 06-14-2017, 05:59 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
Henry, There is no doubt that the Casebook Forum is a much less enjoyable experience than I have found it in the past.

I try not to jump on to every posting unless I think I have something useful to contribute.
Many people simply take an idea for a walk, and that is an entirely legitimate and reasonable way to approach the boards.

Pierre however seems happy to jump on to a large number of postings and contribute absolutely nothing.
Indeed, the question could fairly be asked, is Pierre helping or hindering the Casebook?

With his superior knowing air, and his frankly sometimes bizarre ramblings, I find it almost impossible to get anything out of it.

Fisherman, on the other hand, has had the honesty and integrity to put out there his own (not outlandish) theory.
He puts his case well and rebuts his detractors with what he considers to be salient facts and hypotheses.

Can we say the same for Pierre?

I simply do not understand why Pierre does not set up his own web page (fairly easy to do) and publish his research on that particular site.

This is not a personal attack on Pierre, whom I have never met.

It is however an attack on his supposed "historical" approach on these boards.

Enough is enough!
Gentlemen,

On a pleasant Sunday evening its always distracting when someone chooses to cut their lawn during the days last hours, but can we say its anything more than a simple irritation? It doesnt directly affect the wine we might be sipping, nor does it prohibit you from enjoying a new book, your favourite show, or the company of some friends. Its a minor irritation in a world rife with distractions...perhaps that context can help you enjoy what time you spend here more.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:38 AM
Inspector

Michael Richards, our neighbor Pierre insists on noisily mowing his lawn several times a day. He also insists that he is a trained professional and that nobody else here knows how to mow a lawn as well as he does; he enjoys wandering into every garden in the neighborhood and telling the owners that they are doing it all wrong because they are not as well-educated in gardening science as he is. Despite this his garden is famously bare, brown, and patchy, with nothing in it worth looking at, though he insists on telling everyone that he is very close to having produced the garden everyone else has been aspiring to.

He is a local laughing-stock, widely regarded as having a screw loose, yet talks to everyone as though he is patiently teaching simpletons the art of weeding and edging.

Understand?

Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis - Satire III
Old 06-15-2017, 10:04 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
Gentlemen,

On a pleasant Sunday evening its always distracting when someone chooses to cut their lawn during the days last hours, but can we say its anything more than a simple irritation? It doesnt directly affect the wine we might be sipping, nor does it prohibit you from enjoying a new book, your favourite show, or the company of some friends. Its a minor irritation in a world rife with distractions...perhaps that context can help you enjoy what time you spend here more.
Michael, Believe it or not I'm normally a chilled out old hippy.

It's "The Pierre Effect".

Damnit Janet!!!!
Old 06-19-2017, 02:03 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
With all due respect to Bridewell, the logic of that statement escapes me.

Superintendent Arnold and Sir Charles Warren explained their decision to remove the message to the Home Office. It had nothing to do with an alleged nickname attributed to the City Police.
And with all due respect to you, David, what I posted was a quotation from a book, not my own opinion.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:09 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I donīt want to be admirable or a contributor to ripperology. I want to do history.
If you don't want to be a contributor to ripperology what exactly are you doing on this forum?
Old 06-19-2017, 02:14 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Conclusion: The dictionary and the author can be hypothesized as more reliable than those who copied the text?
Two people copied the text (that we know of). Their versions were slightly different but neither included the word "Judges". I see no reason to conclude that two people copied the same word and that both got it wrong. For reasons which I won't bore you with (I've posted them often enough in the past anyway) I believe that Dc Halse recorded the script accurately.