Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere The Psychopath - by Elamarna 15 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Local killer for local people................ - by Michael W Richards 22 minutes ago.
Swanson, Chief Inspector Donald: Seaside Home - by Robert 54 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere The Psychopath - by Rainbow 1 hour and 9 minutes ago.
Swanson, Chief Inspector Donald: Seaside Home - by John Malcolm 1 hour and 13 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere The Psychopath - by GUT 1 hour and 19 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere The Psychopath - (14 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: It was Lechmere. - (8 posts)
Swanson, Chief Inspector Donald: Seaside Home - (7 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre Sq, The demise is almost complete - (6 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - (6 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Recent 'Tour' - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Hutchinson, George

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1131  
Old 06-18-2017, 08:18 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Well I very much doubt that Jon but, if he did, he was plainly using the word wrongly and, to the extent that he was suggesting there would be a sanction applied against McCarthy for speaking to the press, he would have been bluffing.
I'm not making an issue over who used it, or whether it was correct.
The press account concerning Mrs McCarthy stands by itself, interpret it as you wish.
What I find interesting is that here a reporter actually drew a conclusion that you seem to think was pure invention. Yet several witnesses were equally reticent about telling the press anything over that weekend - there had to be a reason for this given the common tendency to "gossip".
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1132  
Old 06-18-2017, 08:37 AM
richardnunweek richardnunweek is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,188
Default

Hi,
According to Fiona Kendall Lane,[ McCarthy's great granddaughter] McCarthy knew who the killer most likely was, and why she was killed.
This infuriated many on Casebook, but what if it was true, it would imply that their was a motive against Kelly.?
Regards Richard.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1133  
Old 06-18-2017, 08:41 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 7,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
Press reports of local muggings never try to blame the victim by describing his attire. A citizen has a perfect right to walk the streets at any hour, unfortunately the very presence of a stranger walking alone is inducement enough to draw the criminal out of the shadows. Whether he sports white collar & cuffs has nothing to do with it.
I disagree, Jon, inasmuch as Mr Astrakhan was sporting rather more than just a white collar and cuffs, wasn't he?
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1134  
Old 06-18-2017, 08:42 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 7,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
"Ostensibly"?
A reflection of the perpetual attempt to whitewash the distinct differences between the Friday morning accounts of these two women.
... a reflection of your perpetual attempt to play down the very real similarities between both their stories and their experiences that night.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1135  
Old 06-18-2017, 11:02 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
I disagree, Jon, inasmuch as Mr Astrakhan was sporting rather more than just a white collar and cuffs, wasn't he?
At night, a thick watch chain is just a thick watch chain. No-one can tell if it was gold or bronze, brass or even real or fake.
The fact a victim wears this suggests a degree of wealth above the local dosser, whether true or false. So, at night, he is a good prospect for a muggin in this part of town because of the visible watch chain.
Collars, cuffs, spats and a horseshoe tie-pin are immaterial.

Men were relieved of their watch because the chain was visible.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1136  
Old 06-18-2017, 11:15 AM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
What I find interesting is that here a reporter actually drew a conclusion that you seem to think was pure invention.
Well it had to have been pure invention because Mrs McCarthy hadn't spoken to him so he could only guess as to why this was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
Yet several witnesses were equally reticent about telling the press anything over that weekend - there had to be a reason for this given the common tendency to "gossip".
But who are these witnesses? As far as I can see, they almost all spoke to the press, certainly those with anything of remote interest to say.
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1137  
Old 06-18-2017, 11:54 PM
DJA DJA is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Some Australian Mountain Range.
Posts: 1,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardnunweek View Post
Hi,
According to Fiona Kendall Lane,[ McCarthy's great granddaughter] McCarthy knew who the killer most likely was, and why she was killed.
This infuriated many on Casebook, but what if it was true, it would imply that their was a motive against Kelly.?
Regards Richard.
Hmm,let see......

McCarthy broke open his own door for the police, when he knew he could simply reach in the window.
He and his son attended Abberline's retirement party.
His son got his start in entertainment via Marie Lloyd who frequented one of John Cooney's hotels at 17 Hanbury Street.
John Cooney owned 55 Flower and Dean where Eddowes lived,with Nichols next door.
A trainee nun reckoned "Mary Kelly" was the cause of it all.

There a whole lot of other coincidences.

You might be onto something there.
__________________
My name is Dave not Deb
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1138  
Old 06-19-2017, 08:55 AM
andy1867 andy1867 is online now
Detective
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 189
Default

Going back to Hutchinsons statement regarding the dress of the man he saw with Kelly...and he didn't give evidence until the 12th of November...
In the press reports...The New York Tribune on the 10th of November states
"It has been learned that a man, respectably dressed, accosted the victim and offered her money. "
Have I missed a statement by someone else?
All i can find is "Blotchy faces and shabbily dressed"....
It also states
"The murdered woman told a companion last evening that she was without money"
Its by no means beyond belief that I'm talkin' utter b...lx...but luckily that hardly mithers me

Last edited by andy1867 : 06-19-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1139  
Old 06-19-2017, 08:57 AM
Scott Nelson Scott Nelson is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
McCarthy broke open his own door for the police, when he knew he could simply reach in the window.
He and his son attended Abberline's retirement party.
It's never been clear who broke open the door.. some sources say the police, other sources (including McCarthy) say it was him.

McCarthy and his son attended Abberlines' retirement party? I didn't know that. I'm behind on my reading.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1140  
Old 06-19-2017, 12:05 PM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1867 View Post
Going back to Hutchinsons statement regarding the dress of the man he saw with Kelly...and he didn't give evidence until the 12th of November...
In the press reports...The New York Tribune on the 10th of November states
"It has been learned that a man, respectably dressed, accosted the victim and offered her money. "
Have I missed a statement by someone else?
All i can find is "Blotchy faces and shabbily dressed"....
It also states
"The murdered woman told a companion last evening that she was without money"
Its by no means beyond belief that I'm talkin' utter b...lx...but luckily that hardly mithers me
It's not easy to understand where you are going with this.
My first question would be, why use the New York Tribune?
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.