Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Joe Barnettīs alibi accepted lightly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Joe Barnettīs alibi accepted lightly?

Hi,

There are just a few sources left for the alibi of Joe Barnett.

The police investigation source from the 9th November has: "...now residing at 24 & 25 New Street Bishops gate..."

The inquest source from the 12th has "I reside at 24 and 25 New Street, Bishopsgate..."

and the Daily Telegraph from the 12th has:

"Until Saturday last I lived at 24, New-street, Bishopsgate, and have since stayed at my sister's, 21, Portpool-lane, Gray's Inn-road."

People used false alibis in 1888 and alibis were of course tested.

Is there any evidence that Joe Barnettīs alibi was tested?

Is there any evidence that the police accepted his alibi lightly?

Pierre

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
    and the Daily Telegraph from the 12th has:
    No, my dear boy, it's the Daily Telegraph from the 13th.

And the Times of the same day stated:

"Joseph Barnett was then called, and said he was a labourer working by the riverside, and up to Saturday last he lived at 24 New-street, Bishopsgate, having been staying at 21, Ponpool-lane since then."

It's a good example of the newspaper reporters being a little more accurate than what you charmingly refer to as the "inquest source" which, you have omitted to mention, has Barnett saying "I now live at my sisters 21 Portpool Lane, Grays Inn Road."

Comment

Why in the world would the police let his alibi go untested or take it lightly when he was the most likely suspect in one of the most gruesome murders in London history?

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
        Why in the world would the police let his alibi go untested or take it lightly when he was the most likely suspect in one of the most gruesome murders in London history?

c.d.
        But the only way most theories work is by assuming the police were so stupid they couldnt find their backside with a mirror on a stick. Then they use the fact that most of the police file has gone missing to say 'See you can't prove the police checked".

Just crazy.

If there's one thing police forces have consistently done well it's routine following the dots.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Did Barnett need an alibi?.Doesn't appear he was a suspect,and the fact he gave evidence of residence under oath,might have negated a need for a check.

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
            Did Barnett need an alibi?.Doesn't appear he was a suspect,and the fact he gave evidence of residence under oath,might have negated a need for a check.
            Just can't imagine they wouldnt check where he was living.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

They would have to know if Barnett can go in and out of Bullers between 2-5 A.M. without somebody knowing.He played whist until half past 12.I do not know about his employment though at that day.
              Blotchy is the better suspect in Kelly's case - he could have returned to Miler's Court to kill. Here is a drunk woman,asleep,alone, who's door can be opened without a key.After the double event it was harder,because of more police, to roam the streets.
              Last edited by Varqm; 05-26-2017, 12:37 AM.
              Clearly the first human laws (way older and already established) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied/stole,ex. you cannot kill,rob,steal (forced,it started civil society).
              M. Pacana

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
                Hello Harry,

He lived with the victim and was her lover with whom he quarreled. Surely that made him a suspect?

c.d.

Comment

Barnett was a suspect and questioned closely by police. He had an alibi-he was playing wisk and was at his boarding house. plus he didn't act suspiciously-cooperated with police and appeared at the inquest.

Now that being said. she had recently broken up with her, he was at her place earlier the night of her death, and suspects often get away with false alibis. plus the heart thing. he could have snuck out of his boarding house perhaps in the middle of the night. I still have him on my second tier of suspects.
                  "Is all that we see or seem
                  but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                  quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

c.d.
                    Yes, why indeed.

Pierre

Comment

[QUOTE=Abby Normal;416044]

He had an alibi-
                      he was playing wisk and was at his boarding house.
                      Hi Abby,

Do you have any source for that statement?

suspects often get away with false alibis.
                      Do you have any reference for that statement?

Pierre

Comment

People used false alibis in 1888 and alibis were of course tested.
                        My dear boy, do you have any source or reference for that statement?

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                          My dear boy, do you have any source or reference for that statement?
                          Do a search in the British Newspaper Archive on the word alibi for the year 1888 and you will find the sources.

Comment

Do a search in the British Newspaper Archive on the word alibi for the year 1888 and you will find the sources.
                            Newspapers are reliable source material then?

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                              Newspapers are reliable source material then?
                              Depends on your own opinion probably.

Comment

Working...
                              X