Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Goulston Street Graffito: Can we profile the Ripper from the GSG? - by DJA 38 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: Can we profile the Ripper from the GSG? - by Pcdunn 1 hour and 18 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: Can we profile the Ripper from the GSG? - by DJA 2 hours ago.
Witnesses: Why Buck's Row? - by Simon Wood 2 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: Can we profile the Ripper from the GSG? - by Pcdunn 2 hours ago.
Rippercast: Index of Rippercast Podcasts - by jmenges 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Why Buck's Row? - (65 posts)
Goulston Street Graffito: Can we profile the Ripper from the GSG? - (25 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (12 posts)
Rippercast: Index of Rippercast Podcasts - (5 posts)
General Police Discussion: Kelly inquest/Smithkey - (4 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Was Annie Chapman a rotund woman? - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Police Officials and Procedures > General Police Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #111  
Old 05-19-2017, 02:46 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,255
Default

[quote=David Orsam;415340]

Quote:
Oh yes, my dear boy, the damage is certainly done for me, I am doomed to be reported to the police and will have to take my chances that there isn't enough evidence to charge or convict me.
You would not give evidence which could be used for charging or convicting you. You would just give enough evidence for me to know who you are and what you have done, hoping that I will change my strategy.

Those who are high should be low and those who are low should be high. There can be no more shame. Enough damage has been done to your life already. If it continues you will have nothing left. That is what you tell me.

And I agree. The men in the British Empire would not envy you. You have given your life for this nation and still you come out with so very little. Yes, it is a shame.

And to think that the most important thing for you is almost destroyed at a point in time when you are so very weak.

Quote:
You, however, are in the clear. So for you, it's problem solved.
As long as you must put pressure on me, the problem will not be solved. You continued for a long time tp tell lies to the authorities. You said you were somebody when you were not. Of course you started to regret what you had done. You became scared after a few years. And you confessed. So yes, I know what you have done. But will it ever be spoken of?

Now: If I do not listen to you and you can not scare me enough to listen to you: what can you do about it?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 05-20-2017, 01:19 AM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,657
Default

That's all very interesting my dear boy, and indeed charmingly incomprehensible, but there is still no dilemma here. As you say, you don't have enough knowledge of my crimes to be able to have me convicted of murder. So you aren't worried about a charge of misprision of felony. But if, for some irrational reason, you are worried about this, you can simply put an end to the worry by notifying the police of everything you know. So what is the purpose of this thread?
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 06-11-2017, 11:01 AM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
That's all very interesting my dear boy, and indeed charmingly incomprehensible, but there is still no dilemma here. As you say, you don't have enough knowledge of my crimes to be able to have me convicted of murder. So you aren't worried about a charge of misprision of felony. But if, for some irrational reason, you are worried about this, you can simply put an end to the worry by notifying the police of everything you know. So what is the purpose of this thread?
Well, David, if I was an accomplice for instance, it would have been very difficult for me to notify the police, wouldnīt it?

And even if there was a pardon afterwards, think about the shame.

Being an accomplice to the Whitechapel murderer is not a desirable position. My whole life would have been ruined after that, donīt you agree?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 06-11-2017, 11:20 AM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Well, David, if I was an accomplice for instance, it would have been very difficult for me to notify the police, wouldnīt it?

And even if there was a pardon afterwards, think about the shame.

Being an accomplice to the Whitechapel murderer is not a desirable position. My whole life would have been ruined after that, donīt you agree?
Oh my dear boy, are you so lonely you feel the need to respond to a question from the 20th May just to get me to talk to you?

I wouldn't mind, my dear boy, but you seem to have forgotten the premise of this entire thread, of which a clue is in the title of "knowing".

You are not supposed to be an accomplice. You are supposed to have just been told by the murderer that he has committed the murders.

If you are now suddenly an accomplice to murder my dear boy then, indeed, that changes matters greatly but you need to get your story straight first.
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 06-11-2017, 12:24 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,255
Default

[quote=David Orsam;417716]
Quote:
Oh my dear boy, are you so lonely you feel the need to respond to a question from the 20th May just to get me to talk to you?
Dear David, are you so lonely you feel the need to respond just to get me to talk to you?

Quote:
I wouldn't mind, my dear boy, but you seem to have forgotten the premise of this entire thread, of which a clue is in the title of "knowing".
I wouldnīt mind, David, but you seem to have misunderstood the problem in the thread, since it is an historical problem.
Quote:
You are not supposed to be an accomplice. You are supposed to have just been told by the murderer that he has committed the murders.
In history I am supposed to be an accomplice. I am supposed to have been told by you that you have committed the murders but since I did not believe you, you made me an accomplice.

Quote:
If you are now suddenly an accomplice to murder my dear boy then, indeed, that changes matters greatly but you need to get your story straight first.
Since I am your accomplice to murder that changes matters between you an me greatly so what will the story be now?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 06-11-2017, 12:39 PM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I am supposed to have been told by you that you have committed the murders but since I did not believe you, you made me an accomplice.
Ah my dear boy, I think I have identified the problem with your narrative.

If I "make you" an accomplice to a murder then you have sufficient evidence to go immediately to the police and give evidence against me thus causing me to be hung by the neck until dead.
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 06-11-2017, 12:42 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Ah my dear boy, I think I have identified the problem with your narrative.

If I "make you" an accomplice to a murder then you have sufficient evidence to go immediately to the police and give evidence against me thus causing me to be hung by the neck until dead.
But then of course you have not read post 113.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 06-11-2017, 12:53 PM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
But then of course you have not read post 113.
Do you mean this:

"Well, David, if I was an accomplice for instance, it would have been very difficult for me to notify the police, wouldnīt it?"

The answer is no, if you've been "made" to be an accomplice. It would be very simple to go to the police in those circumstances.
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 06-11-2017, 01:05 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Do you mean this:

"Well, David, if I was an accomplice for instance, it would have been very difficult for me to notify the police, wouldnīt it?"

The answer is no, if you've been "made" to be an accomplice. It would be very simple to go to the police in those circumstances.
This is where our discussion ends, since the information is not sufficient.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 06-11-2017, 01:16 PM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
This is where our discussion ends, since the information is not sufficient.
Oh dear, what a shame.
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.