The Curtis Bennett Inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
    Looking very interesting, do you have an idea of the details of the comments by and regarding Cutbush.
    I haven't been able to locate the Curtis Bennet report which would reveal everything (and I was wondering if anyone had seen it when I started this thread) but there is nevertheless a surprising - startling even - conclusion to this episode regarding Cutbush which I will be posting in due course.

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
      I haven't been able to locate the Curtis Bennet report which would reveal everything (and I was wondering if anyone had seen it when I started this thread) but there is nevertheless a surprising - startling even - conclusion to this episode regarding Cutbush which I will be posting in due course.
      I look forward to that.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
        I look forward to that.

Steve
        me too!

Comment

And me!

I don't suppose there's anything here? :
          The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

Comment

It looks very promising and interesting I'm looking forward to this.

I keep thinking of the late 1940s and the "Lynsky Tribunal". But those results were published (I'm pretty certain).

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
              And me!

I don't suppose there's anything here? :
              http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C4133082
              I have to hand it to you Robert, you have done it again! I had previously searched the catalogue for that very file using the correspondence reference A48348 but I sheepishly now realise I transposed two of the numbers and thus thought the file had been destroyed like a large number of files from the period. Other word searches of mine didn't find it for some reason.

But, yes, this file does contain Curtis Bennett's report. In fact, I think it is probably the most complete file I have ever seen in all my researches; for it not only contains the report but also the full original manuscript notes of the evidence given at the inquiry as well as all the key original underlying documents. It's a researcher's dream! The only thing it doesn't have is the Home Office out-correspondence but that is in the confidential correspondence file HO 151/4 so between the two files I now have a 100% complete picture of what happened.

Bear with me because there is a huge amount of new material for me to absorb. But I will continue posting the correspondence I already intended to post in order to reveal the surprising outcome of this inquiry.

Thanks Robert!

Comment

Letter from the Home Office to the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police dated 31 July 1888:

With reference to the report from Superintendent forwarded by you on the 23rd instant respecting the evidence given by him before Mr. Curtis Bennett I am directed by the Secretary of State to transmit herewith a copy of a further letter on the subject from Mr. Bennett and to request that Superintendent Cutbush may be severely reprimanded.

N.B. Sir Charles Warren was on holiday at this time and it was Colonel Pearson who was Acting Commissioner on this date.

Comment

Letter from Home Office to Curtis Bennett dated 1 August 1888:

I am directed by the Secretary of State to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 27th ultimo as to the demeanour of an officer of the Metropolitan Police in giving evidence at the recent enquiry held by you and I am to inform you that the officer in question has been severely reprimanded. The Secretary of State has to express his regret at the conduct of the Police Officer in this matter.

Comment

So the senior officer in Scotland Yard to whom all murder reports were to be sent during the summer of 1888 - and to whom the report into the murder of Martha Tabram was indeed sent - was severely reprimanded within barely a week of Tabram's murder.

A curious turn of events and, no doubt, for someone inclined to think that the murders might have been committed by a senior police officer, we even have a potential motive of revenge!

Comment

So the senior officer in Scotland Yard to whom all murder reports were to be sent during the summer of 1888 - and to whom the report into the murder of Martha Tabram was indeed sent - was severely reprimanded within barely a week of Tabram's murder.

A curious turn of events and, no doubt, for someone inclined to think that the murders might have been committed by a senior police officer, we even have a potential motive of revenge!
                      I wonder if you've inadvertently uncovered Pierre's suspect!

Comment

Home Office to the Receiver dated 7 August 1888:

With reference to your letter of the 1st inst. and the accompanying copy of a letter received from Messrs Mossop & Rolfe relating to the continuance of Messrs Newton & Cook as Metropolitan Police Contractors I am directed by the Secretary of State to point out to you that Mr. Cook had the opportunity of stating his case fully to Mr. Curtis Bennett who held an enquiry into this very subject. Mr. Secretary Matthews formed his opinion upon the statements made by Mr. Cook in that enquiry and he must adhere to that opinion and decline to reopen the question.

Comment

From the 1888 Post Office Directory:

Newton & Cook, brush manufacturers, sponge merchants & warehousemen, 3 & 5 Wardour Street, Soho W

Comment

nice!!!

Comment

Hi All,

MEPO 7/50.

Police Orders, 9th February 1888—

“A special report, containing the fullest obtainable information and the steps taken by Police, with the names of officers engaged in the inquiry, is to be sent to the Executive Branch immediately on the occurrence of a Crime of such importance as to require the submission of special reports."

Regards,

Simon
                              Last edited by Simon Wood; 04-25-2017, 01:39 PM. Reason: spolling mistook
                              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Yeah thanks Simon. You may remember I emailed you a copy of that P.O. of 9th Feb 1888, at your request, on 11 January 2015, shortly after I had revealed its existence on the forum on 7 December 2014.

For discussion of general police procedures, officials and police matters that do not have a specific forum.

Glad you found it useful!

Comment

Working...
                                X