If the 'Dear Boss' letter is a hoax...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
    Actually he relies on mentioning the word, but rarely gives details and even rarer the actual source unless they can be found on this site

s
    I don't recall him providing a single piece of information that wasn't on this site, and early on I could even tell what section he had read most recently among the dissertations, then I stopped giving a rats.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

[QUOTE=Elamarna;393828]
      Originally posted by Pierre View Post

Pierre
      that has very limited value as you well know as an historian.

Of course the big issue, apart from the problems with the date of evidence and the fact no year is on the letter, is that NO action occurred in the Minories.
      Hi Steve

Just saying ...even though there was no murder, the writer could have been planning to murder in the Minories, and there was Charles Ludwig who pulled a knife on a prostitute in a court running off the Minories. He also gave his address as 1 Minories.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jon Guy;393882]

Hi Steve

Just saying ...even though there was no murder, the writer could have been planning to murder in the Minories, and there was Charles Ludwig who pulled a knife on a prostitute in a court running off the Minories. He also gave his address as 1 Minories.
        But he also shortly pulled a knife on a kid at a coffe stall after an argument and these incidents are clearly spur of the moment, due to drunkenness, being in a bad mood and perhaps mental issued. Not planned. And of course he wasn't the ripper.
        "Is all that we see or seem
        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
          But he also shortly pulled a knife on a kid at a coffe stall after an argument and these incidents are clearly spur of the moment, .
          But he was carrying a knife and other implements. Although, tools of his trade, he was still carrying them.

due to drunkenness, being in a bad mood and perhaps mental issued.
          All very possibly applicable to the Ripper

And of course he wasn't the ripper.
          Well, we know he had an alibi for the Double Event.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
            But he was carrying a knife and other implements. Although, tools of his trade, he was still carrying them.

All very possibly applicable to the Ripper

Well, we know he had an alibi for the Double Event.
            But what's your point? That Ludwig wrote the minories letter?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

[QUOTE=Jon Guy;393882]

Hi Steve

Point accepted Jon, and it is a nice coincidence, however Ludwig is not, I feel safe to say, Pierre's man.

In addition, Pierre posted that if the police had extra police surveillance in the Miniories on the night of the double event they may have caught their killer, which is unlikely as no killings happened there that night.

Steve

Comment

But what's your point? That Ludwig wrote the minories letter?
                No, my point was that there was some action in the Minories.

And regarding the Minories and the Double Event, the Minories is situated just across the road from Mitre Square.

Comment

Could his man be Charles Cutbush, a senior police officer, whose nephew Thomas was suspected of being the Ripper?

Interestingly, Charles Cutbush committed suicide in 1896, and was rumoured to have suffered from delusions and depression years before his suicide. See: http://casebook.org/ripper_media/boo...s.cutbush.html

Comment

Hi Steve

Point accepted Jon, and it is a nice coincidence, however Ludwig is not, I feel safe to say, Pierre's man.
                    Which is a shame.

In addition, Pierre posted that if the police had extra police surveillance in the Miniories on the night of the double event they may have caught their killer, which is unlikely as no killings happened there that night.
                    True, but again, and another nice coincidence, Detectives Halse, Outram and Marriott (!!) were situated opposite the Minories when Eddowes was murdered in pursuant to instructions received at the Central office in Old Jewry.

Comment

And regarding the Minories and the Double Event, the Minories is situated just across the road from Mitre Square.

Jon

While that is true and MS is only across the main road, Pierre was specific about the Minories, he actually says the specific area in his post.
                      for me it is just too wide of what is being claimed, although what you say is of course true

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve

Which is a shame.

True, but again, and another nice coincidence, Detectives Halse, Outram and Marriott (!!) were situated opposite the Minories when Eddowes was murdered in pursuant to instructions received at the Central office in Old Jewry.
                        Posts crossed Jon,

all you say is true, but because he claims it needed police IN the Minories, not near and Ludwig is not his man, i see the claim for the letter as being very poor in this instances.

Steve l

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
                          Could his man be Charles Cutbush, a senior police officer, whose nephew Thomas was suspected of being the Ripper?

Interestingly, Charles Cutbush committed suicide in 1896, and was rumoured to have suffered from delusions and depression years before his suicide. See: http://casebook.org/ripper_media/boo...s.cutbush.html
                          John

while there is debate about the connection if any between the two Cutbushes, Charles has always been an interesting man.

High ranking, with serious problems

indeed i have a soft spot for Thomas as an outsider suspect.

Steve

Comment

John

while there is debate about the connection if any between the two Cutbushes, Charles has always been an interesting man.

High ranking, with serious problems

indeed i have a soft spot for Thomas as an outsider suspect.

Steve
                            Hi Steve,

Thanks. I agree, Thomas Cutbush in my view is a reasonable suspect, and at one point he would have been one of my favourite suspects.

I did wonder, though, whether Charles Cutbush met the criteria for Pierre's suspect: senior police officer, mental health problems, possibly delusional.

Comment

OK got it. Then I guess maybe your saying Pierres man might have written the letter and/or lived in the minories? If that's the case OK, but then I don't care who pierres man is anymore. and am actually surprised anyone else still does.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Detectives Halse, Outram and Marriott (!!) were situated opposite the Minories when Eddowes was murdered in pursuant to instructions received at the Central office in Old Jewry.
                                So where these detectives the Jewes who will be blamed for nothing, they were in the wrong place at the wrong time even though they had been warned?

Comment

Working...
                                X