"Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
      Therefore they wrote a new letter were they kept the name Jack the Ripper and changed the contents so it would have a high news value. By doing this no one would know that the Central News Agency recieved a letter with a warning and with the right time and place of the murders before the murders were committed.
      Congratulations Pierre. I didn't think you could dream up a more ridiculous idea than those you've already presented here but you've managed it with this one. I'm starting to come round to agreeing with those who think this is all one big joke.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pierre;393809]
        Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post

Hi Robert,

you wrote about the Dear Boss letter:

My hypothesis is that they got a letter from the killer before the murders on Stride and Eddowes. But since they could not know if the writer was the killer - the murders had not been committed yet - they did not take the communication seriously.

When the murders was committed, they understood that the letter was written by the killer. But since the letter also contained a warning, which could have saved the victims from being murdered if taken seriously, they could not publish the letter in it´s original so everyone could see that they had simply neglected the warning.

Therefore they wrote a new letter were they kept the name Jack the Ripper and changed the contents so it would have a high news value. By doing this no one would know that the Central News Agency recieved a letter with a warning and with the right time and place of the murders before the murders were committed.

If the Central News Agency had given the letter to the police and they had taken it seriously, they could have increased the police surveillance in the Minories that night and Stride and Eddowes might have been saved.

Regards, Pierre
        This is without doubt the most convoluted explanation I've ever seen on Casebook-In fact, I completely lost track of it before reaching the end!

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
          Congratulations Pierre. I didn't think you could dream up a more ridiculous idea than those you've already presented here but you've managed it with this one. I'm starting to come round to agreeing with those who think this is all one big joke.
          And since we now know that you think it is a ridiculous idea, you may stop destroying this thread with your belittling comments.

Comment

[QUOTE=John G;393815]

This is without doubt the most convoluted explanation I've ever seen on Casebook-In fact, I completely lost track of it before reaching the end!
            So you do not manage to contribute to the discussion, since you have lost track.

By the way, have you seen the source on which we can construct this type of hypothesis?
            Last edited by Pierre; 09-28-2016, 01:10 PM.

Comment

And since we now know that you think it is a ridiculous idea, you may stop destroying this thread with your belittling comments.
              I think you will find, Pierre, that this thread was already destroyed in #45.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pierre;393817]
                Originally posted by John G View Post

So you do not manage to contribute to the discussion, since you have lost track.
                Yes, that was mainly because I lost interest. Frankly, as bizarre conspiracy theories go, this just about takes the biscuit. However, what's actually more disconcerting is that I honestly think you genuinely believe in it!

Comment

Pierre

David is not destroying a thread, the idea you propose is, at this point unbacked by any data.

It again appears to be a personal viewpoint, not the scientific approach you harp on about!

You will of course try and defend this by claiming it is an hypothesis based on data available to yourself.

Therefore out of fairness to you, could you:

1. Please inform us which unpublished letter you are talking about?

2. If unable to do 1. please inform us what data source you are using to reach this line of reasoning?

3. Provide data source to back your view that the dear boss letter was a construct to cover up the non publication of the 1st claimed letter.

4. How would an increased police presence in the Minories that night have prevented murders which were in roads not directly connected said Minories?

I never believed that I would say this; however the ideas published become more outlandish everyday, and are on par with some of the more unbelieved suggestions made here over the years, those that name famous painters, writers or those which suggest Black Magic.

This is just not serious work!

regrettably

steve

Comment

By the way, have you seen the source on which we can construct this type of hypothesis?
                    I see Pierre, it seems you are claiming another unseen source, or am i misunderstanding your reply to John G

Steve

Comment

[QUOTE=Pierre;393817]

What source?

Comment

[QUOTE=John G;393819]

Yes, that was mainly because I lost interest. Frankly, as bizarre conspiracy theories go, this just about takes the biscuit. However, what's actually more disconcerting is that I honestly think you genuinely believe in it!
                        Sources disappear and sources are misunderstood. Sometimes we get some indications from sources that there was a primary source but the secondary sources are not very reliable. This is history. It is not a court room.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pierre;393823]

Sources disappear and sources are misunderstood. Sometimes we get some indications from sources that there was a primary source but the secondary sources are not very reliable. This is history. It is not a court room.
                          Yes, I agree, sources are misunderstood and wrongly interpreted. That's the main problem!

Comment

[QUOTE=John G;393822]

What source?
                            J Hall Richardson. From the City to Fleet Street, 1929.

The source is late but has high explanatory value:

"The Police and Press received many letters from the " Ripper," mostly written in red ink, and I give one:

" Liverpool,
                            " 29th inst.
                            " BEWARE I shall be at work on the 1st and 2nd inst. in `Minories' at 12 midnight and I give the authorities a good chance but there is never a Policeman near when I am at work.
                            Yours,
                            " JACK THE RIPPER."
                            " Prince William St., L'pool.
                            " What fools the police are I even give them the name of the street where I am living.
                            " Yours,
                            " JACK THE RIPPER.""

You find it here:
                            http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media...l?printer=true

Regards, Pierre
                            Last edited by Pierre; 09-28-2016, 01:56 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pierre;393826]

J Hall Richardson. From the City to Fleet Street, 1929.

The source is late but has high explanatory value:

The Police and Press received many letters from the " Ripper," mostly written in red ink, and I give one:

" Liverpool,
                              " 29th inst.
                              " BEWARE I shall be at work on the 1st and 2nd inst. in `Minories' at 12 midnight and I give the authorities a good chance but there is never a Policeman near when I am at work.
                              Yours,
                              " JACK THE RIPPER."
                              " Prince William St., L'pool.
                              " What fools the police are I even give them the name of the street where I am living.
                              " Yours,
                              " JACK THE RIPPER."

You find it here:
                              http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media...l?printer=true

Regards, Pierre
                              Pierre
                              that has very limited value as you well know as an historian.

Of course the big issue, apart from the problems with the date of evidence and the fact no year is on the letter, is that NO action occurred in the Minories.

Steve

Comment

[QUOTE=Elamarna;393828]

Pierre
                                that has very limited value as you well know as an historian.

Of course the big issue, apart from the problems with the date of evidence and the fact no year is on the letter, is that NO action occurred in the Minories.

Steve
                                I already know what you think about this source, Steve.

Comment

Working...
                                X