A major breakthrough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
    I will write a book with everything I have found.
    I've been pondering on your above statement Pierre because it confuses me.

On 27 September 2015, in response to pinkmoon's comment in the "I think I have found him" thread that if he had a solution to the mystery he would be straight on the phone to a major book publisher, you said:

"Oh, dear. Why didnīt I think of that? I must go and find a publisher at once!

Eh, wait a minute...isnīt that just the problem with the so called research about Jack the Ripper? To many eager ripperologists and to many greedy publishers."

Yet, on the same day, in the same thread, you said:

"Iīm so tired of this case but have to go on. And he, the killer, consumes my time.

Perhaps the worst thing of all: if I get conclusive evidence I will have to write a book. I donīt want to."

So it is clear that you were saying you would only write a book if you got "conclusive evidence". You made clear your contempt for people who wrote books without conclusive evidence when you said in the same thread on 8 October 2015

"I havenīt claimed to solve the case. I have said that I think I have found him.

"Glory" and book deals mean nothing to me. Research does. To many ripperologists have already gone for the book deal and glory and I think thatīs part of the explanation as to why they havenīt found him. So I do understand your argument about "horseshit". I think you are right in saying that."

But from what you tell us in this thread, despite your "major breakthrough", you are no nearer to finding the conclusive evidence that your suspect was Jack the Ripper than you were when you first joined this forum. In fact, the medical information that you tell us you have found seems to have taken you further away from confirming that your suspect was the Ripper because it goes against your own hypothesis about how the Ripper behaved.

What I'm wondering, therefore, is if you have decided after all to become an "eager ripperologist", adding to the problem with research about Jack the Ripper by publishing another speculative book without any conclusive evidence. Do you have any comment to make about that?

Comment

• [QUOTE=John G;393586]
      Originally posted by Pierre View Post

Hi Pierre,

Yes, of course, but that largely assumes you have some substantive, and as yet undisclosed, evidence pointing to your suspect. Of course, if that is the case it would be perfectly logical to speculate as to how other information might support this theory.

However, the difficulty is there is currently no reason for me to believe that you have such evidence.
      Hi John,

That is fine with me. No one has to believe that. I am very reluctant to believe it myself.

Anyway, today I have been going through another very extensive archive. I am in the process of establishing a longer and more detailed chronology and it takes a lot of time.

So no one will be happier than me when this work is over.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

So no one will be happier than me when this work is over.
        I have a curious feeling you may be wrong about that.

Comment

Anyway, today I have been going through another very extensive archive.
          Clearly another online archive, with today being Sunday.

And clearly you still haven't found that conclusive evidence you've been looking for.

Comment

• Wait... GUT is always a day ahead of me, due to being in Australia.
            Is this a possible clue to Pierre's location-- he lives someplace where is it now Monday?
            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
            ---------------
            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
            ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
              Wait... GUT is always a day ahead of me, due to being in Australia.
              Is this a possible clue to Pierre's location-- he lives someplace where is it now Monday?
              It's currently 7:30am on Monday morning in Brisbane, Australia.

Pierre has been using an online archive.

Comment

I'm fairly certain by his spelling using z instead of s in certain words, his style and times of posts he is more than likely posting from the good old US of A.

Comment

• Good points, David and Geddy.

I stand corrected.
                  ---------------
                  Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                  ---------------

Comment

• Reading through Pierre's standard evasions and uninformative responses to reasonable questions I have to imagine that the way this thread goes in his ideal world is something like this:

Pierre: I just wanted to tell you all I have made a major breakthrough in my research, a breakthrough of a medical nature.

Everyone Else: Oh, well done Pierre. Can you tell us any more about it?

Pierre: No, I can't. Not yet. I have too much integrity, I am a historian.

Everyone Else: Never mind! We're still amazed and delighted. Congratulations Pierre, well done on this breakthrough! We're all so happy your research is going so well!

Pierre: Thanks! I am just following the sources. I am a historian!

Everyone Else: Goodbye Pierre, thanks for the update!

Pierre: It's a burden, but I must follow the sources. Goodbye!

Seriously, why do you bother, Pierre? What is the point of telling us you've made a breakthrough but can't tell us what it is? What is the point of it? It's not what historians do. You're not a historian.

You claim you "must go with the sources". So please - just go, and take your sources with you.

I thought that now the school term has begun you'd have less time to pull this kind of forum-ruining garbage out of your ass, what with homework to do and everything. Seems I was wrong.

Comment

Gut's usually a day (or more) ahead of most people, light years ahead of the great non historian.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        Gut's usually a day (or more) ahead of most people, light years ahead of the great non historian.
                        I agree completely with you!
                        ---------------
                        ---------------

Comment

• [QUOTE=David Orsam;393587]

So it is clear that you were saying you would only write a book if you got "conclusive evidence".
                          Hi David,

Yes, that its clear.

"I havenīt claimed to solve the case. I have said that I think I have found him.

"Glory" and book deals mean nothing to me. Research does. To many ripperologists have already gone for the book deal and glory and I think thatīs part of the explanation as to why they havenīt found him. So I do understand your argument about "horseshit". I think you are right in saying that."
                          But from what you tell us in this thread, despite your "major breakthrough", you are no nearer to finding the conclusive evidence that your suspect was Jack the Ripper than you were when you first joined this forum. In fact, the medical information that you tell us you have found seems to have taken you further away from confirming that your suspect was the Ripper because it goes against your own hypothesis about how the Ripper behaved.
                          That is how research works.

What I'm wondering, therefore, is if you have decided after all to become an "eager ripperologist", adding to the problem with research about Jack the Ripper by publishing another speculative book without any conclusive evidence. Do you have any comment to make about that?
                          No, David. There will have to be a book if there is conclusive evidence. Without conclusive evidence, I will not waste time on the case.

Comment

Hi David,

Yes, that its clear.

That is how research works.

No, David. There will have to be a book if there is conclusive evidence. Without conclusive evidence, I will not waste time on the case.
                            But you have told us, without qualification, that you will write a book, i.e. "I will write a book with everything I have found."

You have also told us that don't have conclusive evidence, so you can't write a book can you?

So the statement "I will write a book" is false isn't it?

Comment

• Without conclusive evidence, I will not waste time on the case.
                              Wish you'd keep that promise.

You've admitted you have no conclusive proof and you've wasted a lot of time and bandwidth.
                              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Pierre, you seem to find questions irritating, and you never answer them openly and generously - you always give the tiniest possible amount of information away.

So let me ask you - why don't you just come back when you've got your conclusive proof? Or when your book is published?

What have you gained from this 'major breakthrough' thread? It is quite literally entirely pointless.

You're lucky the mods here are so lenient. Almost any of the other blogs I read would've shut your stupid games down long ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X