Dr. John Glanvile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. John Glanvile

I've been exploring the idea that JTR and/or the Torso Killer was a medical man. Sometime ago I ran across the following article from 1894 at Howard Brown's JTRforums:

Of course many details don't match up but those last two paragraphs I found intriguing.

Recently I came across this also from Howard's excellent website published by the Evening Telegraph on November 27, 1888:

The Medical Times and Gazette of September 12, 1874 lists a Dr. John Glanvile as a House Surgeon at the Seamen's Hospital located in Greenwich S.E.

Has anyone procured any census information on this man?

Baynes
    Attached Files

Second half of Glanvile article
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Baynes View Post
      Second half of Glanvile article
      Interesting Baynes and welcome.

I've never heard of this suspect. I also notice when Howard posted this on the other forum no one responded!?!?

Does anyone kno anything about this character?

Comment

Islington Islington Settlement and Relief, 1886-1891

I will have to copy this as I cant seem to resize it...

John Glanvile aged 42 admitted to Ishmaels ward (for alleged lunatics) Islington Workhouse on 24.11.88.
        Wife Sarah Glanvile of 32 Wedmore Gardens.
        Restrained date 24.11.88. Bruises on arms and legs.
        Released date 25.11.88 Seen by Magistrate on 26.11.88

John Glanvile admitted to Ishmael ward again on 7.12.88 (same details of wife and address) Bruises on leg. Seen by magistrate on 8.12.88
        Sent to Bethnal House Asylum, by order on 10.12.88

Pat........

Comment

He is in 1881 census John Granville born in 1847 Wedmore Somerset and living in Sandowne Berrow Road Burnham Somerset (I was in that road two days ago) He lived with wife Sarah and a servant called Jane Wall, (no children). His profession given as "Surgeon out of practice".

I think this could be him

Pat.......

Comment

Thanks for the info Paddy. It seems that the Evening Telegraph story checks out for the November commitment.

Just a point of clarification, are those July thru September dates for 1888 or 1889?

Thanks again,

Baynes

Comment

Also looks like he is also the John Greenwich (transcribed wrong should be Granville) in 1861 census in Wedmore House, Islington st Mary.
              Father was also a surgeon out of practice, Landed Proprieter William L Glanvile and wife Charlotte Maria Glanvile. All born Somerset Wedmore

Pat......

Comment

Hi Baynes Forgive me its late but what July through september dates? The workhouse records I posted were all November and December 1888. Were you talking about dates in the News article?
                Pat......

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  I will have to copy this as I cant seem to resize it...

John Glanvile admitted to Ishmael ward again on 7.12.88 (same details of wife and address) Bruises on leg. Seen by magistrate on 8.12.88
                  Sent to Bethnal House Asylum, by order on 10.12.88

Pat........
                  I meant the above. when it said "admitted to Ishmael ward again" I though it meant after the November 1888 date.

Comment

Seems strange that he lived, variously, at Wedmore House then Wedmore Gardens and was born in Wedmore, Somerset.

There could be some people confusion.

Either way, here's the John Glanvile from Somerset qualifying as a doctor.
                    Attached Files
                    dustymiller
                    aka drstrange

Comment

HI again Baynes are you from America? The dates I put are English we put the month and days around the other way I believe

Hope this helps?
                      Released from Workhouse 25th November 1888.....Seen by Magistrate on 26th November 1888

Then admitted to Workhouse again on 7th December 1888 and on the 10th December 1888 was sent to an Asylum.

Ishmael ward at the workhouse was to check out likely lunatics and send them on to wherever. He appears to have moved back to Somerset by 1891 with Sarah.

Pat.....

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                        Seems strange that he lived, variously, at Wedmore House then Wedmore Gardens and was born in Wedmore, Somerset.

There could be some people confusion.

Either way, here's the John Glanvile from Somerset qualifying as a doctor.
                        Naming your property after you home town seemed to be not uncommon during the 18th and 19th C.

Nowadays not many name their house.
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Well...this would be a startlingly neat suspect, particularly if you subscribe to the notion that the huge escalation in violence with the MJK murder precipitated a psychological 'meltdown'.

On JTR forums it's suggested that he returned to Wedmore in '91...if this was following three years of commitment, I'd be very interested to know how it was ascertained that he was 'sane'. I wonder if alcohol or drugs were involved in his initial breakdown...alcohol or narcotic psychosis?

Also, curses to Victorian sensibilities - I wonder what the objects that the wife would have been 'ashamed for the servants to see' actually were?

Interesting, interesting, interesting....

Comment

Paddy,

My apologies for the mistake, no matter how much I try I never seem to remember to read dates D/M/Y.

All,

I neglected to include the listing of Dr. Glanvile as a surgeon so I have included in this post.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X