No announcement yet.

Deconstructing Jack by Simon Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes the passenger below Carter who should be Passenger 19.

But I don't see anything at all in the first five columns for "Passenger 19" - and the fifth column is citizenship.

Comment

Yes David, that's what I mean. There's no room for a nationality to be written in column 5, therefore there must have been a ditto on the very bottom line. Therefore the passenger was American, not British.

Comment

Okay I understand now what you are saying Robert but I would personally not want to go that far because, by the same token, you could argue that Passenger 19 must be 37 years old because there doesn't appear to be enough room to write in his age.

But if there is sufficient room for his age to be filled in (as I think there must be) I would say that there must be enough room for someone to slip in "England" in column 5.

Comment

As you were having trouble, I've attached the bottom half of the first page (first 5 columns) so that people can see what we are talking about.

This is a photograph of the screen rather than a download
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks David.

Comment

Yes the age thing is a problem. Too much to believe that he was the same age as Carter and got a ditto there too.

Comment

Hi All,

Passengers 17 and 18 were men [m]. Passenger 20 was a man [m].

If passenger 19 had also been a man, passenger 20 would have had a ditto mark in the fourth column "Sex."

The missing Passenger 19 was a woman.

Regards,

Simon

Click image for larger version

Name:	ELBE.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	666756
                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

You might have something there, Simon. But on the other hand, if you look at the totals at the foot of the page, they seem to mean 45 passengers, with 17 females and 28 males. The 28th male must come from the torn portion. If the missing passenger was a woman, then you'd expect to see 27 males and 18 females.

Comment

Hi Robert,

It's enough to make you cross-eyed.

I just tallied up the passengers on that page. The total is 45. I make it 17 women and 27 men. Total 44.

So you're right. The missing passenger must be a man.

Well spotted.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

New Expanded Edition

Hi All,

A new expanded edition of Deconstructing Jack: The Secret History of the Whitechapel Murders will be available in the next few days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DJ COVER.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	666997

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                        Hi All,

A new expanded edition of Deconstructing Jack: The Secret History of the Whitechapel Murders will be available in the next few days.

[ATTACH]18085[/ATTACH]

Regards,

Simon
                        Simon

Can one ask what new areas or topics this covers.

I ask because there as been a recent tendency to reissue books with little or no added material. So best to know before we buy. (Not by you).

Steve
                        Last edited by Elamarna; 06-14-2017, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Hi All,

[ATTACH]18085[/ATTACH]

Regards,

Simon
                          I am thrilled to see this Simon, Ive always respected your perspectives and insights and its great to see many of them under one roof.

From a friend, and admirer, thanks Simon for your contributions.
                          Michael Richards

Comment

Hi Steve,

The newly-indexed book contains a further 95 pages on subjects such as Kelly's funeral, the Jarvis libel case, Edward Stanley, the Mitre Square murder, events at Millers Court, the Chapman murder, a closer look at a couple of Ripperology's sacred texts [Anderson and Swanson] . . . and other things.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your kind words.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi Steve,

The newly-indexed book contains a further 95 pages on subjects such as Kelly's funeral, the Jarvis libel case, Edward Stanley, the Mitre Square murder, events at Millers Court, the Chapman murder, a closer look at a couple of Ripperology's sacred texts [Anderson and Swanson] . . . and other things.

Regards,

Simon
                                Thanks Simon.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X