No announcement yet.

Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 years ago - 1966 July 27 - Brenda Sue Brown vanishes after walking her younger sister to school. Later in the day, the nude and beaten body of the eleven-year-old was found in some woods near Shelby, North Carolina. A bloody palm print was found on one of the girl's shoes but police have not been able the match it, leaving the case unsolved.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 450 years ago - 1566 July 29 - In England, Agnes Waterhouse is hanged for causing the death by bewitchment of William Fynne. Her case contained many bizarre elements including a reputed talking cat named Satan.

50 years ago - 1966 July 29 - After entering New Jersey's Riverdell Hospital for routine gall bladder surgery, Ira Holster, 64, dies unexpectedly. Ira was one of at least nine noncritical patients to die mysteriousy in the last eleven months at the facility. Dr. Mario Jascalevich was put on trial for murdering some of these with curare but was acquitted, leaving the cases unsolved. The doctor then returned to his native Argentina and died there in 1984.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1916 July 30 - A blast rocks the Black Tom ammunition depot in Jersey City, killing seven and injuring hundreds. Several groups have been looked at but the main culprits were determined to be German saboteurs.
        Last edited by sdreid; 07-28-2016, 12:28 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
          100 years ago - 1916 July 30 - A blast rocks the Black Tom ammunition depot in Jersey City, killing seven and injuring hundreds. Several groups have been looked at but the main culprits were determined to be German saboteurs.
          I think that or just an unlucky accident.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

450 years ago - 1566 July 29 - In England, Agnes Waterhouse is hanged for causing the death by bewitchment of William Fynne. Her case contained many bizarre elements including a reputed talking cat named Satan.

50 years ago - 1966 July 29 - After entering New Jersey's Riverdell Hospital for routine gall bladder surgery, Ira Holster, 64, dies unexpectedly. Ira was one of at least nine noncritical patients to die mysteriousy in the last eleven months at the facility. Dr. Mario Jascalevich was put on trial for murdering some of these with curare but was acquitted, leaving the cases unsolved. The doctor then returned to his native Argentina and died there in 1984.
            Yep all cats are the devil in disguise.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
              I think that or just an unlucky accident.
              No, sorry GUT. It took complicated investigations and litigation goint into the 1940s (the rise of Nazi Germany and the Second World War interrupted this process), but it was proven to be German sabateurs. By the way, if you go to Liberty Island (formerly Bedloe's Island) on a visit to New York City, and look at the back of the Statue of Liberty, there are some minor scars left from the explosion due to shrapnel from the armaments which flew into the statue (Black Tom Island was directly in back of the statue). The explosion was heard all over Manhattan, Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens (possibly also in the Bronx) and caused many windows in Manhattan to be blown out by the blast.

Jeff

Comment

Yep all cats are the devil in disguise.
                The witch's cat was usually named "Pyewacket", like Kim Novak's in the film, "Bell, Book, and Candle" with Jimmy Stewart, Jack Lemmon, Elsa Lanchester, and Ernie Kovaks.

Jeff

Comment

• Was Agnes guilty?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Stan Reid

Comment

I can't answer - maybe it was a fair cop!

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 August 1 - Charles Whitman kills his wife and mother in their homes then moves on up to the upper deck of the tower at the University of Texas in Austin where he sets himself up in a sniper's nest. He then proceeds to shoot dozens of people, killing an additional 14. After about 90 minutes, four men are able to get up the tower and a policeman guns down Whitman. A man who died many years later is often listed as the seventeenth murder victim since the wound he suffered is believed to have contributed to his premature death.

Stan Reid

Comment

50 years ago - 1966 August 1 - Charles Whitman kills his wife and mother in their homes then moves on up to the upper deck of the tower at the University of Texas in Austin where he sets himself up in a sniper's nest. He then proceeds to shoot dozens of people, killing an additional 14. After about 90 minutes, four men are able to get up the tower and a policeman guns down Whitman. A man who died many years later is often listed as the seventeenth murder victim since the wound he suffered is believed to have contributed to his premature death.
                        50 years ago.

Hard to believe.
                        G U T

Comment

50 years ago.

Hard to believe.
                          Yes, I remember it being covered on TV-live I believe.

Stan Reid

Comment

Yes, I remember it being covered on TV-live I believe.
                            I'd have thought it was the first of these campus attacks, or maybe that's just the first I was aware of.
                            G U T

Comment

I'd have thought it was the first of these campus attacks, or maybe that's just the first I was aware of.
                              It's the first shooting of this type I can think of on a college campus. There was a mass shooting at a German elementary school in 1913.

Stan Reid

Comment

50 years ago.

Hard to believe.
                                The New York Times had an article today about the 50th Anniversary. They have put up a marker on the campus in honor of the victims' (including the unborn baby of Ms Wilson, who survived herself). The last person whose death was connected to the murders died in 2002, from kidney failure due to the wounds.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X