Bank Holiday murders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GUT View Post
    And who knows who else is the wrong one.

Kosminski, Cross, Druitt??
    Debs, Tom,
    Wasn't there some court case that a man charged Polly Nicholas (as part of a group of women) with robbing him in a low bar? As I recall the story, he had gotten off a ship, gone to a bar and she stole from him, or cheated him, or something?

It would have been discussed 4-5-maybe 6 years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
      Debs, Tom,
      Wasn't there some court case that a man charged Polly Nicholas (as part of a group of women) with robbing him in a low bar? As I recall the story, he had gotten off a ship, gone to a bar and she stole from him, or cheated him, or something?

Hi Curious. Not that I'm aware of. If that happened I'd love to hear about it! Polly was arrested in Itchy Park in October of 1887 along with a number of others sleeping in the park. She was described as the worst of the bunch, which must have really been saying something.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Curious, Tom.
        I must admit I don't recall either incident.
        She was arrested in Trafalgar Square with a group of other vagrant women and children who gathered their regularly to spend the night and get the free food handouts from charitable organisations and the only other incident I can recall is the one where she supposedly pocketed a table knife in some sort of institution and threatened a member of staff with it (going from memory) but I don't know how accurate that particular story was.

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
          Debs, Tom,

Are you perhaps confusing Nichols with Coles, and the drama around Sadler?

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
            Are you perhaps confusing Nichols with Coles, and the drama around Sadler?
            That's what I was thinking of.

And Debs, that article has to be accurate since you're the one who found it. It has little choice.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Which park was also known as 'Itchy Park'? I thought it was Trafalgar Square.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
              That's what I was thinking of.

And Debs, that article has to be accurate since you're the one who found it. It has little choice.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Which park was also known as 'Itchy Park'? I thought it was Trafalgar Square.
              I thought it was Itchycoo Park
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

The park next to Christchurch.
                dustymiller
                aka drstrange

Comment

Itchy Park is the area coloured green on this map;
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Dusty and Josh.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Itchycoo Park, on the other hand, was apparently Valentines Park near Ilford. By some accounts, anyway, nobody really knows for sure. It was the sixties, maybe it was just a state of mind?

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                        Itchycoo Park, on the other hand, was apparently Valentines Park near Ilford. By some accounts, anyway, nobody really knows for sure. It was the sixties, maybe it was just a state of mind?
                        Had a lot of grass I think.
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

And plenty of Mellow Yellow...

Speaking of the Seventies, I saw the fellow who started the Highgate Phantom scare on a TV show this past weekend. He's looking a bit worse for wear, like most of us Boomers are, but swears up and down he saw something in the graveyard that night...
                          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                          ---------------
                          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                          ---------------

Comment

It was probably some poor vagrant that had settled down for the night in one of the vaults and objected to being disturbed. Apparently it became quite fashionable to go around Highgate cemetery in search of the Vampire. Having said that, in Victorian times there were stories of people seeing a tall man in black disappearing through one of the cemetery walls.

Comment

Last edited by RedBundy13; 07-27-2016, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks Tom Wescott for your book! I've always thought similar and I believe that Emma Smith's murder if looked into further, could possibly lead to the identity of JTR. I'm so glad to have someone like yourself take a look at the WHOLE picture and not just bits and pieces!
                                Last edited by RedBundy13; 07-27-2016, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X