Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
    Pierre

Not sure if the comment you made was a genuine not understanding or just you being you.
    so just in case

when I said :

"However that does not prove it to be a common practice does it."

and you replied

"Very illegal things are seldom "common practice", whatever that is."

I meant that just because it happened once in that late period we do not know it happened often.

steve
    Very often when there is a law against something in the past, there is a reason for the law. They never (?) constructed laws to prevent things that happened once.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
      If we're going to pin these bodies on a "snatcher", might as well be Le Caron!

Hi Jerry.
      I didn't know that about le Caron. Interesting, thanks for posting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
        Very often when there is a law against something in the past, there is a reason for the law. They never (?) constructed laws to prevent things that happened once.

Regards, Pierre

Pierre

Agreed but these laws were written to prevent the work of people like Burke and Hare in the first half of the 19th century, they were not specifically for late 1880's.

Steve

Comment

[QUOTE=Debra A;382792]
          A witness who lies usually has something to gain from that lie-either to cover up their own involvement in the crime or to gain attention. The witness was accompanied by two others who witnessed the same sighting of Elizabeth with a man described as looking like a navvy.
          Yes. These sources are tough.

Babies born to destitute women were normally born in workhouse infirmaries. If Elizabeth had died during childbirth (the child was not delivered) then there would have been a name in the admissions register, a death registered in the deaths, a post mortem with notes recorded in the post mortem register.
          No chance they thought "a simple prostitute" and just skipped the regulations? Silly question. How would you know?

Unless there was a conspiracy on a massive scale involving the Parish authorities then someone would likely have come forward after recognising the plump, sandy-haired young woman who sadly died during labour at the workhouse. What are the cahances that no one at all remembered her or the incident?
          Yes. Again. Here we sit with some strange data. How can we interpret them?

Even unfortunates have friends and families!
          There is less social capital in those groups. Much less. That is one reason why they are easier targets. But now I am speaking from 2016, I hear. Stupid of me.

Your refusal to discuss it doesn't change the fact that body also was dumped with clothing that may have identified that person. It didn't in the Whitehall case but in Elizabeth's case several of the witnesses were there solely to prove identity by standing up and saying they recognised her clothing, so it definitely worked in that case.
          I do not want to change facts if they are historically well established.
          Are you bragging or complaining, Pierre?
          None. I know far to little about these cases. I merely ask questions.

That's your opinion.That would make the anatomist party to illegal tactics too. How do you know the person obtaining the bodies and dumping them afterwards in your sceanrio wasn't paid the whole hog to go out and murder to order in that case?
          We donīt know anything about that. That is why I think we should be very careful connecting these cases with the murders of Jack the Ripper. Only when there is a small, terrible little scrap of evidence, a sparse source, which gives an hypothesis and which can be used for building a theory with very strong coherence, together with other sources, and after having performed source criticism on each piece, can we say that we think that was a murder of Jack the Ripper. Of course, the same goes for any murderer, like a "torso killer".

Yet kept them in their own clothing which in Elizabeth's case helped bring people forward for an ID.
          When you say that, I think: Why was such a piece of evidence left? Was the one/those who left it not aware of police methods? Was he/they aware of police methods and wanted to leave a clue? No idea.

Regards, Pierre
          Last edited by Pierre; 05-30-2016, 01:01 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Kattrup;382794]You are (generally) supposed to disbelieve a newer source disagreeing with an older source, is all.

But there is no disagreement, that is the very point I am making. Hebbert is the only one commenting on the eyelids, so there can be no disagreement.

The very fact that you mention that he is the only one to comment on her eyelids makes him suspect as a source.

No, it does not. If that was the case, all the things Bond says with no corroboration would be suspicious too, going by that logic. It could only be suspicious of Hebbert contradicted another source, but he does not.

I don't believe anyone is trying to say he must have lied or deliberately invented horrific details. He may have had a slight misremembering, may have confused two cases, may have been writing generally - any number of explanations.

Yes, he may - anybody can get anything wrong - but the far better guess is that he got it right. Especially since he in all probability used his notes from the occasion.

Hebbert did not report anything. He wrote a description of a crime scene and a corpse to a textbook, six years after he saw it. The aim of the description was not to be precise in every detail, but to show the necessity for methods of forensic evidence - in this case, emphasising how to identify the sex of a mutilated corpse.

Even if he was not required to be precise, I think we can be certain that he did not wing things and guess away. He knew that the eyebrows had been cut, he knew that the nose had been cut etc - so when he speaks about the eyelids, it must be viewed against that background.

That he had extensive knowledge of the Kelly case, had assisted Dr. Bond, had taken notes and possibly had access to a copy of Bond's post mortem report does not in any way mean that he is a better source than Bond for determining what wounds were inflicted on Kelly.

And has anybody claimed that he is, Kattrup? I have noted no such thing. Have you?
            That he had extensive knowledge of the Kelly case, had assisted Dr. Bond, had taken notes and possibly had access to a copy of Bond's post mortem report means that he was extremely likely to be correct on the eyelids, thatīs all we can say.

Bond's report is from 1888. Hebbert's writings are from 1894.

The book is. But the source material is not. So what are you suggesting: that he added the eyelids for fun or because he was miffed by not finding it in the notes...?

Bond does not mention eyelids being cut off. Hebbert does. Is it probable that Bond missed it or failed to mention it, while Hebbert got it right? No. It is not.

You may be a hundred per cent sure that Bond did not name all the damage done to the body, Kattrup. It is only of Bond had refuted the eyelid matter that there would have been a case. There is not.

While hypotheticals are generally not of much use in such arguments, what happens if Hebberts writings were published in 1924? Would they still be "equally viable"? Of course not. Conclusion: distance in time matters - sources closer in time are (generally) preferable. On this principle historical research builds.

All material quoted from the original notes would stay as viable throughout, regardless of the time distance. It is that simple.

It does not fit the evidence, since the main evidence does not mention cut eyelids at all.

The main evidence? Hebbert belongs to the evidence, my friend. Qualified medicos commenting on a case they worked on always beling to the evidence.

I think most would argue the reverse - he is the only one to mention it, and he does it in an informal context six years after the event. It is therefore incredibly more unlikely to be true than false, as I am sure you will agree.

Balderdash, Kattrup. Absolute, genuine balderdash. Sorry, but it needed saying.

Comment

fisherman

I was very clear,

"Hebbert greatly exaggerates the injuries when compared to the report of Bond." - it says far more than the primary source.

That can mean: overstatement, overemphasis, enhancement or embellishment on the original source, in this case the post mortem report of Dr Bond.

That is not the same as saying he "exaggerates" which I have not said.

I have never said Bond makes "no mistakes" and in one post said he's arguably often wrong with his conclusions,

In addition I have certainly not said the eyes were not intact, they obviously were or at least intact enough to photo.

I have been talking about the removal or not of the eyelids, and your claim of carefully work by the killer to protect the eyes'

Steve
              They both stand:
              Hebbert says the eyelids were cut off, he was Bonds assistant, he had first-hand knowledge, he saw the body. Nobody gainsays him.

For us today to claim that he was wrong would be sheer folly. To say that he MAY have been mistaken is something we can do, but we are required to realize that such a thing is not to be expected. End of.

The eyes were very clearly not destroyed, and if there was any damage at all to them, then that would be minor damage only.

Put that together, and you will see that the killer took care not to cut the eyes. He destroyed everything else in the face, turning it to a flesh avalanche, as can be seen on the pictures.

If you want to believe that the eyes were spared by coincidence only, then be my guest.

As for the word exaggerate, you may be correct about the meaning - as a Swede, I will not be as au fait with British as the Brits themselves. If I got it wrong and offended you, I apologize.
              Last edited by Fisherman; 05-30-2016, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                They both stand:
                Hebbert says the eyelids were cut off, he was Bonds assistand, he had first-hand knowledge, he saw the body. Nobody gainsays him.

For us today to claim that he was wrong would be sheer folly. To say that he MAY have been mistaken is something we can do, but we are required to realize that such a thing is not to be expected. End of.

The eyes were very clearly not destroyed, and if there was any damage at all to them, then that would be minor damage only.

Put that together, and you will see that the killer took care not to cut the eyes. He destroyed everything else in the face, turning it to a flesh avalanche, as can be seen on the pictures.

If you want to believe that the eyes were spared by coincidence only, then be my guest.

As for the word exaggerate, you may be correct about the meaning - as a Swede, I will not be as au fait with British as the Brits themselves. If I got it wrong and offended you, I apologize.
                Fisherman

firstly your last point, you obviously did not understand what I had said, fair enough apology of course accepted.
                We will have to agree to disagree about the rest, I see no point in continuing when you fail to carry out any criticism of a source and just accept it a face value.

regards

Steve

Comment

QUOTE=Kattrup;382794:

I think most would argue the reverse - he is the only one to mention it, and he does it in an informal context six years after the event. It is therefore incredibly more unlikely to be true than false, as I am sure you will agree.
                  1. We want several independent sources here. Fisherman has one. > Low reliability for the statement.

2. And as you say, the source is late and this is a problem. > Low validity for the statement.

QUOTE=Fisherman;382814:

Balderdash, Kattrup. Absolute, genuine balderdash. Sorry, but it needed saying.
                  Conclusion: Not Balderdash, Fisherman. But very relevant points from Kattrup. Kattrup is an historian trained in source criticism.

You are a journalist, are you not?

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Fisherman

firstly your last point, you obviously did not understand what I had said, fair enough apology of course accepted.
                    We will have to agree to disagree about the rest, I see no point in continuing when you fail to carry out any criticism of a source and just accept it a face value.

regards

Steve
                    "Just accept it at face value"...? What will you have me do? Say that Hebbert was probably lying? That he was probably mistaken? That he was trying to spook people? As if they were not already spooked enough?

I am saying that he CAN have been wrong. That should be enough for you, but for some reason it is not enough, is it?

I am also saying that when a man like Hebbert makes a claim about a body he has seen and worked with, he is much more likely to be right than wrong. If you can negate that in a logical way, you are welcome to do so.

Comment

1. We want several independent sources here. Fisherman has one. > Low reliability for the statement.

2. And as you say, the source is late and this is a problem. > Low validity for the statement.

Conclusion: Not Balderdash, Fisherman. But very relevant points from Kattrup. Kattrup is an historian trained in source criticism.

You are a journalist, are you not?

Regards, Pierre
                      I know historians who are complete idiots.

Comment

QUOTE=Fisherman;382817]They both stand:
                        Hebbert says the eyelids were cut off, he was Bonds assistand, he had first-hand knowledge, he saw the body. Nobody gainsays him.

No, that is not how it works with source criticism. You do not say "End of." Your could say "On the one hand...and on the other hand". Or you say "I THINK that...".

But you do not accuse a dead man for being a serial killer by using sparse data with low reliability and validity.

Operationalizations:

"The eyes", "not destroyed", "minor damage only".

No one says there was major destruction of the eyes, even if, paradoxically, cutting away the eyelids, which are important parts of each eye, could be interpreted as "destroyed" and "damage".

YOU mean the eyeballs.

BUT: How can you know that the killer did not view the cutting off of the eyelids as the eyes being "destroyed" and "damaged"?

The validity of your interpretation is low here.

Put that together, and you will see that the killer took care not to cut the eyes.
                        I put that together and I see that the killer took care to cut the eyes. To destroy them. To damage them by cutting away the eyelids.
                        He destroyed everything else in the face, turning it to a flesh avalanche, as can be seen on the pictures.
                        And he destroyed the eyes by cutting away the eyelids!

But they were not spared.

Regards, Pierre
                        Last edited by Pierre; 05-30-2016, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                          "Just accept it at face value"...? What will you have me do? Say that Hebbert was probably lying? That he was probably mistaken? That he was trying to spook people? As if they were not already spooked enough?

I am saying that he CAN have been wrong. That should be enough for you, but for some reason it is not enough, is it?

I am also saying that when a man like Hebbert makes a claim about a body he has seen and worked with, he is much more likely to be right than wrong. If you can negate that in a logical way, you are welcome to do so.
                          Fisherman

Carrying out some source analysis and criticism would be a start.

Its about how you view certain people, your line :

"when a man like Hebbert makes a claim"

shows that you are basing your view of his comments entirely on your view of the man, and how you view his character.

Anyway we will not agree on this, that is clear

regards

Steve

Comment

No chance they thought "a simple prostitute" and just skipped the regulations? Silly question. How would you know?
                            There are enough prostitutes in the workhouse records to know it didn't seem to matter to them.

Originally posted by Pierre
                            Yes. Again. Here we sit with some strange data. How can we interpret them?
                            According to how we want it to relate to a suspect seems to be en vogue lately.

We donīt know anything about that. That is why I think we should be very careful connecting these cases with the murders of Jack the Ripper. Only when there is a small, terrible little scrap of evidence, a sparse source, which gives an hypothesis and which can be used for building a theory with very strong coherence, together with other sources, and after having performed source criticism on each piece, can we say that we think that was a murder of Jack the Ripper. Of course, the same goes for any murderer, like a "torso killer".
                            Which is why I don't indulge in that type of thing.

When you say that, I think: Why was such a piece of evidence left? Was the one/those who left it not aware of police methods? Was he/they aware of police methods and wanted to leave a clue? No idea.
                            And I would say you are saying that simply because your suspect is a member of the police force.

Comment

Debra,

I was thinking the same about the last point you made.

cheers

Steve

Comment

Debra,

I was thinking the same about the last point you made.

cheers

Steve
                                Yes, you would say that, Steve. Good cop bad cop, eh?

Comment

Working...
                                X