Bank Holiday murders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank Holiday murders

I really want to recommend Tom Westcott's book, Its a game changer. Any understanding of Emma's Smith murder, must be seen in context, its similarity to Tabrum, the assaults and murders of women in a short time connected with Lodging houses in George St and Flower and Dean St. The power of the Lords of Spitalfields. The lies the cover ups. The signifcnce of Pearly Poll and her lies.
    The investigation by Tom taking evidence, and placing it in context, and rediscovering important facts that have been overlooked, really makes one rethink previous accepted theories.

Miss Marple

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
    I really want to recommend Tom Westcott's book, Its a game changer. Any understanding of Emma's Smith murder, must be seen in context, its similarity to Tabrum, the assaults and murders of women in a short time connected with Lodging houses in George St and Flower and Dean St. The power of the Lords of Spitalfields. The lies the cover ups. The signifcnce of Pearly Poll and her lies.
    The investigation by Tom taking evidence, and placing it in context, and rediscovering important facts that have been overlooked, really makes one rethink previous accepted theories.

Miss Marple
    It's a great book.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Much appreciated

Originally posted by miss marple View Post

Miss Marple
      Thanks for that, Miss Marple. I'm humbled and very appreciative, particularly when a reader 'gets' what I'm going for. The pulse of my book is a very simple, but I believe a very significant point: The Whitechapel murder series began with no less than four women who were attacked - three of them fatally - and all lived in one of two neighboring houses. These events occurred not over the span of decades, or years, but mere months. That's not a theory, or a speculation. That's historical record. In the billion Ripper books published it's never discussed. That's pretty astounding. Remarkably, even after the publication of my book, it is still considered irrelevant by every...single...Ripperologist who has any measure of influence. Somehow it's my 'conspiracy theory'. Go figure. All my other stuff in the book was just me trying to make sense of this very unfortunate but very real series of events, and with the now rather obvious fact that Pearly Poll had not told the truth and was not believed by Inspector Reid. While my evidence is lost on the current crop of Ripper writers I have every confidence it will be picked up by a future generation and they will run with it.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
        While my evidence is lost on the current crop of Ripper writers I have every confidence it will be picked up by a future generation and they will run with it.
        Tom,
        This sounds like you're done researching! Don't give up on the current crop just yet. I admit I am one of the billion who did not discuss it, but I've found problems I'm working on elsewhere!

I know you're not done, so I'm looking forward to it.

Regards,
        Mike
        The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
        http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
          Tom,
          This sounds like you're done researching! Don't give up on the current crop just yet. I admit I am one of the billion who did not discuss it, but I've found problems I'm working on elsewhere!

I know you're not done, so I'm looking forward to it.

Regards,
          Mike
          Hi Mike, thanks. I'm not done writing. My last point was more an observation than a rant. My book was very well received, just not by the Ripperati. But they were kind in their own way by not blasting me with mean reviews, so for that I'm much obliged. And it has sold insanely well. I've got one more essay to write and then the first draft of my new Ripper book will be complete. My take on Schwartz is completely different from yours, but I think you might like mine better.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I've received a couple of e-mails and, along with Mike's reply, I feel I misrepresented myself in my first post on this thread. I do not at all feel that I have personally been treated poorly in Ripperology since my book came out. Quite the opposite, in fact. My experience has been great and the book has done far better than I ever expected. i've received a ton of positive feedback and most of the criticism, where it was informed, has been helpful. New discoveries have since been made by researchers that has bolstered some of my ideas and smashed to pieces others. Both are equally welcome by me. As someone who has studied crime for decades, I find it remarkable that these four women (Horsnell, Hames, Smith, Tabram) lived in two neighboring houses and were brutally assaulted/murdered inside an 8 month period leading right up to Nichols. Either this was a remarkable coincidence or it wasn't. If it wasn't, it might afford us the best clue we've had (in modern times) to the Ripper's identity. I've no idea what that identity is, but I'd take a look at the men in the employ of these landlords at the time. John Arundell and his kind. I don't think it's the unlikeliest thing that's ever been proposed. But I apologize if my first post had an anti-Cabal ring to it. That wasn't what I was going for.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Thanks for that, Miss Marple. I'm humbled and very appreciative, particularly when a reader 'gets' what I'm going for. The pulse of my book is a very simple, but I believe a very significant point: The Whitechapel murder series began with no less than four women who were attacked - three of them fatally - and all lived in one of two neighboring houses. These events occurred not over the span of decades, or years, but mere months. That's not a theory, or a speculation. That's historical record. In the billion Ripper books published it's never discussed. That's pretty astounding. Remarkably, even after the publication of my book, it is still considered irrelevant by every...single...Ripperologist who has any measure of influence. Somehow it's my 'conspiracy theory'. Go figure. All my other stuff in the book was just me trying to make sense of this very unfortunate but very real series of events, and with the now rather obvious fact that Pearly Poll had not told the truth and was not believed by Inspector Reid. While my evidence is lost on the current crop of Ripper writers I have every confidence it will be picked up by a future generation and they will run with it.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
              Tom,
              I also enjoyed your book. Unfortunately, my memory isn't good about the details at this point.

How old was Pearly Poll during the murders?

Thanks,

Comment

Pearly Poll was 35ish, but that may not be completely accurate, She could have been older. She was mannish and rough looking.

Miss Marple

Comment

According to her entry on the witnesses page, she was about 50, born circa 1838.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                    According to her entry on the witnesses page, she was about 50, born circa 1838.
                    Hi Josh, the witness's page is mistaken. I don't think a lot of those pages have been updated over the years. She was around Martha Tabram's age.

Thanks for that, Curious.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Ah, ok. Sorry about that. It just goes to show that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                        Ah, ok. Sorry about that. It just goes to show that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.
                        Or in books, for that matter. At least we can still trust the mainstream media.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I was curious about her age mainly because of the coincidence of an American woman of the same name and apparently engaged in nefarious games, cons and thievery, in New York City in the 1870s. If I recall correctly from the book I found, she had disappeared from the scene (or was perhaps in prison) by the 1880s.

Both are interesting. Any new dirt on the London version, Tom?

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
                            I was curious about her age mainly because of the coincidence of an American woman of the same name and apparently engaged in nefarious games, cons and thievery, in New York City in the 1870s. If I recall correctly from the book I found, she had disappeared from the scene (or was perhaps in prison) by the 1880s.

Both are interesting. Any new dirt on the London version, Tom?
                            Hi Curious, as you might be aware, Debra Arif discovered a Pearly Poll trail in the infirmary registers later in 1888 and following years. I don't have the link right to hand but she posted it on the forums and probably here on Casebook. I've no doubt the woman she found is 'our' Pearly Poll. I plan to include this information (and other stuff that's come out since the book) in the future when I do a second edition of BHM. At the moment I'm planning that to coincide with the publication of my third Ripper book (at which time I'll no doubt have additions and corrections to make to my upcoming 2nd Ripper book).

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Curious, as you might be aware, Debra Arif discovered a Pearly Poll trail in the infirmary registers later in 1888 and following years. I don't have the link right to hand but she posted it on the forums and probably here on Casebook. I've no doubt the woman she found is 'our' Pearly Poll. I plan to include this information (and other stuff that's come out since the book) in the future when I do a second edition of BHM. At the moment I'm planning that to coincide with the publication of my third Ripper book (at which time I'll no doubt have additions and corrections to make to my upcoming 2nd Ripper book).

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                              Hi, Tom,
                              Thanks, I was aware of the infirmary registers. If I recall, there was some discussion that Pearly Poll was likely too ill at the time of the murders to have been a participant . . .

Her ties to everyone is certainly peculiar.

This case just gets curiouser and curiouser.

Comment

Working...
                              X