• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carroty Nell: The Last Victim of Jack the Ripper

Has anyone read this book?

What are your thoughts, worth a read?

Opted for this title in the end.

Comment

I haven't bought that one yet. Tell us what you think of it when you've finished.

Comment

I read it and Trevor Bond and I discussed it on an old podcast.

JM

Comment

Thanks, jmenges.

Comment

I thought it was a good read full of information about her life. I never knew until reading this book that she spent her childhood two streets away from where i spent mine!

Comment

Cheers for all your replies guys, am really looking forward to reading it.

Comment

Was Frances Coles possibly mixed-race? Something about her features in the mortuary photo looks like she might have been.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post

Was Frances Coles possibly mixed-race? Something about her features in the mortuary photo looks like she might have been.
                  Hello Harry

I don't believe there is any indication that Frances Coles was of mixed race. Admittedly, though, I agree that it's difficult to tell from a mortuary photograph, wherein the face of the person has become distorted through time and lividity.

See this:

"Her father, James William Coles, was a bootmaker from Publow, Somerset. Her mother, Mary Ann Carney, was from Armagh, Ireland." http://www.casebook.org/victims/coles.html

Best regards

Chris
                  Christopher T. George
                  Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                  just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                  For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                  RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                    Hello Harry

I don't believe there is any indication that Frances Coles was of mixed race. Admittedly, though, I agree that it's difficult to tell from a mortuary photograph, wherein the face of the person has become distorted through time and lividity.
                    Yes, Chris, it's definitely hard to judge under those circumstances. It's just something that struck me the first time I saw the pic, and continues to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                      Hi Harry
                      Perhaps it was because the photo was in black and white !!!

Comment

She looks so beautiful in the photo. Like she is asleep and dreaming something pleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                          Has anyone read this book?

What are your thoughts, worth a read?

To answer my own question, having read this book. Most enjoyable and well worth a read.

Comment

Very good book, highly recommended. Well worth a read.

Comment

I've read worse.
                              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                              X