Limerick, the Key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Debra A View Post
    A good collaboration project would probably be looking through the huge amount of digitised (not transcribed or indexed) Catholic records from Limerick County and City on the link that Robert posted earlier.
    If MJK was a Catholic born in Limerick she should be in there, plus there are marriages from the same birth parishes making it possible to trace the women a bit easier too as brides normally married in their birth parishes.

http://registers.nli.ie/
    This is a good idea. Deb - while we might find more info on Mary here, would it be likely that she would have married back in Limerick if she was living in Wales?

Comment

• Originally posted by SuspectZero View Post
      This is a good idea. Deb - while we might find more info on Mary here, would it be likely that she would have married back in Limerick if she was living in Wales?
      No, SZ I suggested that because looking for marriages of women baptised Mary Kelly in the same parish would be part of the elimination process.

Sometimes marriage details were even added to a baptismal entry years later. I've seen a couple of examples of this in the records.

Comment

No, SZ I suggested that because looking for marriages of women baptised Mary Kelly in the same parish would be part of the elimination process.

Sometimes marriage details were even added to a baptismal entry years later. I've seen a couple of examples of this in the records.
        I have a baptismal record of Marie Kelly. Born to parents John Kelly & Mary McCann 12/31/1863. Baptised Jan 17, 1864 in Allen, Kildare, Ireland. I also have a marriage record for John & Mary 2/16/1863. Witnesses are Thomas Rushe & Margaret Carthy. The marriage was also performed in Allen, Kildare.
        Last edited by SuspectZero; 02-13-2016, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Is she niece to someone named Ann Kemp in 1881?

Good luck with it anyway, SZ.
          So I dug deeper on this and here is what I've found:
          In the 1881 UK Census, Catherine Mitchell is shown as the Aunt of one Mary Kelly, age 18, and a housekeeper by profession.

Catherine was born in 1831 in Ireland (don't know what part yet) and was the daughter of Patrick Kelly (Laborer). She married John Mitchell on 10-2-1852 and was married to him until he disappears by the time Mary shows up in the Census. He probably died. Could this be one of the relatives of Mary Kelly that were suggested as living in London? The residence location of Catherine in 1881 was Shoreditch.

So now the trick is to locate Catherine's brothers. One of them spawned the niece of Catherine - the Mary Kelly of the 1881 Census. If one of them is a John, that makes things more interesting.
          Last edited by SuspectZero; 02-13-2016, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I have a baptismal record of Marie Kelly. Born to parents John Kelly & Mary McCann 12/31/1863. Baptised Jan 17, 1864 in Allen, Kildare, Ireland. I also have a marriage record for John & Mary 2/16/1863. Witnesses are Thomas Rushe & Margaret Carthy. The marriage was also performed in Allen, Kildare.
            But it's not Limerick and there's no Henry!

Comment

But it's not Limerick and there's no Henry!
              That assumes that everything she said was the honest to gods truth!...lol
              But there are no siblings recorded, so there's no Henry or any other sibling in the records I just mentioned. Also note, this is the first child - see the dates between marriage and birth - so that may rule this one out entirely.

Comment

That assumes that everything she said was the honest to gods truth!...lol
                But there are no siblings recorded, so there's no Henry or any other sibling in the records I just mentioned. Also note, this is the first child - see the dates between marriage and birth - so that may rule this one out entirely.
                We have to start from the basis those things were truthful, otherwise any old Mary Kelly could fit.There's loads in my neck of the woods for starters..Mary Kelly on Ilkley Moor bar t'at (she never wore one apparently)

Marie, Denis James and Bridget were the recorded Kildare brood of John and Ann.

Comment

We have to start from the basis those things were truthful, otherwise any old Mary Kelly could fit.There's loads in my neck of the woods for starters..Mary Kelly on Ilkley Moor bar t'at (she never wore one apparently)

Marie, Denis James and Bridget were the recorded Kildare brood of John and Ann.
                  Who are John and Ann? John Kelly & Mary McCann were the parents of the Marie I mentioned..
                  Last edited by SuspectZero; 02-13-2016, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Who are John and Ann? The Marie I mentioned was John & Mary.
                    Just a typo .

Marie Kelly
                    31 Dec 1863 17 Jan 1864 Allen, Kildare John,
                    Mary

Denis Kelly
                    8 Oct 1865 22 Oct 1865 Allen, Kildare John,
                    Mary

James Kelly
                    18 Nov 1867 24 Nov 1867 Allen, Kildare John,
                    Mary

Bridget Kelly
                    22 Oct 1868 1 Nov 1868 Allen, Kildare John,
                    Mary

Comment

Just a typo .

Marie Kelly
                      31 Dec 1863 17 Jan 1864 Allen, Kildare John,
                      Mary

Denis Kelly
                      8 Oct 1865 22 Oct 1865 Allen, Kildare John,
                      Mary

James Kelly
                      18 Nov 1867 24 Nov 1867 Allen, Kildare John,
                      Mary

Bridget Kelly
                      22 Oct 1868 1 Nov 1868 Allen, Kildare John,
                      Mary
                      Good job on this. Where did you locate the children? I couldn't trace them. Also what do you think about the Mary Kelly in 1881 I just listed? I could use some additional help on tracing Catherine's brothers beyond what I've already identified..
                      Last edited by SuspectZero; 02-13-2016, 03:03 PM.

Comment

A good collaboration project would probably be looking through the huge amount of digitised (not transcribed or indexed) Catholic records from Limerick County and City on the link that Robert posted earlier.
                        If MJK was a Catholic born in Limerick she should be in there, plus there are marriages from the same birth parishes making it possible to trace the women a bit easier too as brides normally married in their birth parishes.

http://registers.nli.ie/
                        Find My Past have today (Friday 4th) added an indexed version (therefore name searchable and can be narrowed down by adding a parents name too) of these same Catholic records, the un-indexed images of which were linked to by Robert a few weeks back. The baptism and marriage records for the same parishes, where the records exist, have been done, so cross referencing for marriages should be achievable too.

Comment

• Debs, there are also the 'free for a week' FMP records - not quite sure how they fit in - and Ancestry have added some too.

Irish parish records are like buses....

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            Debs, there are also the 'free for a week' FMP records - not quite sure how they fit in - and Ancestry have added some too.

Irish parish records are like buses....
                            I can't tell if they will be included in that free trial or not, Robert. They should be as they should be as they are Irish records but added as part of the weekly FMP Friday additions today.

I was looking for baptism record of the Mary Kelly born 1864 in Castletown District in those records; the one a lot of people are interested in as a possible for MJK, with father John and mother Anne McCarthy but either they weren't Catholics ( the record previously found was in the statutory birth records which started in 1864) or they aren't full records of all Catholic churches or parishes...or those particular ones are missing.

Comment

• Debs, I fell for the old dodge "free to search" - yeah, and then you have to pay.

Eyes playing me up today but there is a Maria Kelly baptised 1864 Limerick mother Anna McCarthy father Joannis (probably should be Johannis). Is that the one?

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                                Debs, I fell for the old dodge "free to search" - yeah, and then you have to pay.

Eyes playing me up today but there is a Maria Kelly baptised 1864 Limerick mother Anna McCarthy father Joannis (probably should be Johannis). Is that the one?
                                Ah! Well done. That will be it, Robert. Thanks! I always forget to tick those variant name boxes.

Comment

Working...
                                X