No announcement yet.

The Christie Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As Honest John records in his book, Timothy Evans also had a half-brother from his mother's marriage to Penry Probert. For some reason this fact does not seem to have been mentioned in previous books on the case, including that by Ludovic Kennedy. One wonders whether this half-brother is still alive and what kind of relationship he had with Evans. If he is still alive this would be someone else who might possibly shed more light on the case, along with Lucy Dyson (nee Endecott).

In the programme Maureen Westlake repeated the story recorded by Ludovic Kennedy in his book that it was Evans's other sister Eileen who first spotted the vacant flat on the top floor of 10 Rillington Place from a passing tube train. There seems no reason to disbelieve this. I think Mrs Westlake said in the programme that her sister regretted spotting the flat for the rest of her life due to the tragic events which happened to her family there. If she had never seen it and the Evans's had not moved there Christie would never have been associated with the Evans murders and the case would have been somewhat different; he would probably only have been remembered as a rather nasty serial killer and the extra dimension of an innocent man having possibly been executed would have been absent. This might have meant that the case would have generated much less interest and would not have been remembered quite as well today. There would probably also have been rather less written about it, and Ludovic Kennedy would not have written his book which was chiefly aimed at proving Evans's innocence. On the other hand Honest John might still have produced his thorough analysis of Christie, his crimes and his victims.
    Last edited by Sherlock; 08-16-2014, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• News

John Curnow's ebook on the topic is now available; having seen various drafts I can confidently state that it is a reliable and mature piece of work.

At Dirty Dick's pub near Liverpool Street Station on 2 May 2015 there's a conference about Miscarriages of Justice in London. Ruth Ellis, Craig and Bentley and Evans will all feature - I am giving the talk on the latter, Bob Odell on the Croydon business. Could be interesting.

Comment

• Is John Curnow's ebook still available for purchase?

I already have a copy but the website on which it could be ordered seems to have disappeared.

Does anyone have any information on this?

Comment

• The website for the purchase of John Curnow's excellent ebook is now back on line. The Richard Attenborough film is also on BBC3 this evening at 10pm. I will probably watch it and have fun spotting the many historical inaccuracies!

Comment

• Richard Attenborough was apparently one of those actors who can't leave the part behind at the studio. It was said that while Attenborougn was making the film his wife was so creeped out by his voice, characterisation etc., that she moved out for the duration!

Comment

• Hello Honest John.

Did you ever manage to contact Lucy Dyson in Rotherham?

I noticed that on the site of a local Rotherham newspaper where you had appealed for her to get in touch with you someone had replied saying that they were Lucy's daughter.

Did anything ever come of that line of enquiry?
              Last edited by Sherlock; 12-03-2015, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• I liked what I saw of the Christie book that Sherlock shared. Very nicely written, I thought it was written by Christie himself. This case is very interesting. I only found out about it recently via YouTube, I was looking for something concerning the A6 murder and YouTube sent me a Christie documentary instead. The name Christie caught my attention as it is the name of Agatha Christie, poor lady, the name Christie certainly wouldn't have had the happiest of associations with her given what this Christie got up too and the shenanigans her first hubby got up to which made her disappear for a while back in 1926, which was what I thought I was getting with the Christie Case Documentary but instead I got this case which is really fascinating although I really felt horrible for what happened to Mr. Evans. He sure got the short end of the stick.

Comment

• New mini-series on the Christie case

The BBC has just commissioned a new three-part drama on the Christie case with filming to begin at the end of March. The cast has not been announced but filming is to take place at the BBC studios at Dumbarton in Scotland.

It will be interesting to see who plays the parts of Christie and Evans and whether this new production is more historically accurate than the 1971 film. It will also be interesting to see whether this production sticks to the "standard version" of events or whether it explores the possibility that Evans was in fact guilty. From what I have read I suspect that the former will be the case but I could be wrong.

As Rillington Place has long been demolished it will not be possible to film in the actual street as was the case with the 1971 film. It will be interesting to see if any outdoor locations are used and whether they are filmed in London or elsewhere. I suspect the latter.

Comment

• Very interesting and time for a new version of this case, I think. I know the area has changed but locations as near as possible would be good. I wonder how far back into Reg's colourful past this production is going to go?

Comment

• I understand that each of the three parts will tell the story from the point of view of a different person involved in the case, ie Christie himself, his wife Ethel and Timothy Evans.

It would certainly be interesting if the production had some scenes concerning Christie's childhood which might help to explain why he became a murderer, eg his viewing of his grandfather's body in his coffin, his fear of his father and his domination by his older sisters. This was something the 1971 film lacked.
                      Last edited by Sherlock; 02-05-2016, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• An interesting concept. However, as I feel Evans may well have killed his wife and daughter I don't think I'm going to gain anything but frustration in viewing it! The Ethel episode will be intriguing in view of their life together. As she knew nothing of his other life the murders will have to be very much in the background though. Except her own, of course.

Yes, something in the way of showing the sort of person Christie became, his childhood, family background, influences etc would be excellent.
                        Last edited by Rosella; 02-05-2016, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• According to the information released so far on the new production the producers have had a close relationship for some time with "surviving family members". If this means the surviving members of Timothy Evans's family I am inclined to think that the drama will take the standard view that Christie was responsible for the murders of Beryl and Geraldine Evans. I believe that one of Evans's sisters is still alive as she was interviewed on a documentary concerning capital punishment a couple of years or so ago.

If there are any surviving members of the Evans family still alive it might be rather difficult to produce a drama suggesting that Evans might in fact be guilty as the family would probably not take kindly to any suggestion that their brother was rightfully executed according to law as it stood at the time. I do not know if the researchers for the drama have come across any new facts on the case which have not come to light previously. I suspect that Honest John has already uncovered as much new information as exists in the course of his research for his book on the case. I wonder if those producing the new drama have read it?

I also wonder if Beryl's brother Basil Thorley has been consulted for the programme. At one time he appeared to believe that Evans was guilty but when interviewed on the same documentary a couple of years ago he seemed to think he was innocent.

At the present time I would say that I am neutral on the question of whether Christie or Evans murdered Beryl and Geraldine. However, it would be rather disappointing if the new drama turned out to be more or less a recycling of the "standard version" as originally set out by Ludovic Kennedy. It will be interesting to see what eventually materialises on screen.

Comment

• Having just heard about the forthcoming drama, the accompanying blurb suggests a rehash of the Authorised Version and research may well have been limited to interviewing family members whose knowledge may be limited. Interesting that as a three person drama that Beryl Evan will be reduced to the enigma she's usually presented as. Quite agree that the inclusion of Evans' half sister suggests a certain point of view will be taken. We shall see.

Comment

• Here is a thought; would there be any way of proving whether Christie or Evans was responsible for the deaths of Beryl and Geraldine by means of DNA profiling?

For example, if the tie which was found on the body of Geraldine still existed could it possibly be analysed to see whether traces of the DNA of Christie or Evans could be found on it? The same could be done if any of Beryl's clothing still remains in police archives.

Unfortunately, I think I remember reading somewhere that all the clothing was destroyed a long time ago. Moreover, if any of it still existed it may well be that any DNA will have deteriorated due to aging, although I would have to admit that I am not a scientist.

Also, the bodies of both Bery and Timothy might have to be exhumed in order to obtain DNA samples for analysis and comparison. I suppose that surviving relatives would have to consent to this, which I strongly suspect they would be unwilling to do. Christie's remains would also have to be exhumed from their place of burial in Pentonville Prison for the same reason. The Home Office would have to give permission for this, but even if they did it might be a difficult task if for example the burial ground in Pentonville has now been paved over or if it's location is uncertain.

DNA samples belonging to James Hanratty found on Valerie Storie's clothing seems to have confirmed his guilt in the view of the judiciary and of many other people, although I still have an open mind on this.

What do other contributors think?

Comment

• DNA would certainly go a long way in my opinion towards solving the Christie/Timothy Evans debate once and for all, wouldn't it? As you point out though, there are so many difficulties, permission needed for disinterment etc., and even then deterioration of the bodies might mean failure. How long do the police keep clothing and other items of murder victims, even in a prominent case like this one, where there might have been a possible miscarriage of justice? Fifty years, sixty, a hundred? It will be a shame if Geraldine and Beryl's clothing and the infamous tie have been destroyed, but totally understandable really.

Comment

Working...
                                X