Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
    What that confirms Jon is that the only access to the interior of 26 Dorset was the door in the archway.
    No. Look at the map.

Pierre

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
      He knew Bowyer from Whitechapel but it happened by coincidence. I am sorry I canīt tell you more about this right now.

Regards Pierre
      Because you haven't made it up yet.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

What that confirms Jon is that the only access to the interior of 26 Dorset was the door in the archway.
        Why are the front doors in this photo not shown on the plan?

And, how did the tenants get into those rooms at the back in Millers Court?
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

He knew Bowyer from Whitechapel but it happened by coincidence. I am sorry I canīt tell you more about this right now.

Regards Pierre
          ok thanks

Comment

But the original passage is in the middle of the room, when you check the fire map.
            Hi Pierre.
            Not sure what you mean here. The passage I am showing is internal to the house, I'm not talking about Millers Court passage - the plan shows that directly between Nos. 26 & 27.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
              The plan,the plan.

Who drew the plan!
              James Tully, Prisoner 1167.
              The scribble is, mea culpa.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                Why are the front doors in this photo not shown on the plan?

And, how did the tenants get into those rooms at the back in Millers Court?
                The front door..singular...led to the shed, not the house. I don't believe that it was required to show access to a storage area on the plans. The access to the interior of 26 and the staircase that led to upper floors was by using the door that is under the archway..and that same archway is how the tenants of Millers Court got into the courtyard.
                Michael Richards

Comment

No. Look at the map.

Pierre
                  The map doesn't even show the archway as a thruway Pierre, but that's likely because 26 and 27 were joined over that archway. It was effectively 2 buildings that were attached but also divided for the first 8 -10 feet in height by the archway.
                  Michael Richards

Comment

• I haven't read every post on this thread but have noted an accusation that Bagster Phillips perjured himself at the Kelly inquest. Pierre, this was you. Please either support this serious allegation with evidence or withdraw it. Just to clarify what I mean, I'm not asking that you tell us about evidence that you're not prepared to divulge yet. I'm saying that you should back it with evidence on this thread or withdraw the accusation until you are prepared to do so.
                    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

The front door..singular...led to the shed, not the house. I don't believe that it was required to show access to a storage area on the plans. The access to the interior of 26 and the staircase that led to upper floors was by using the door that is under the archway..and that same archway is how the tenants of Millers Court got into the courtyard.
                      McCarthy had no front door?
                      What about the tenants in rooms 1 to 12, at the back?

Obviously Michael, it was not necessary to show doors.
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

In your drawing you will note that there was no door to access Millers Court from what became Marys room...
                        Hi Michael.

Look at the red circle, the dark line is faint as if it has been erased, or an attempt made to erase it (a door to room 13?).
                        It is still in the wrong spot, but there is no room to show access in the outside wall to the left of that '2', the wall is not shown long enough.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                          Hi Michael.

Look at the red circle, the dark line is faint as if it has been erased, or an attempt made to erase it (a door to room 13?).
                          It is still in the wrong spot, but there is no room to show access in the outside wall to the left of that '2', the wall is not shown long enough.

That red circle shows us where the door to the interior of 26 was Jon, not room 13. When that plan was made there was no room 13 of Millers Court. When the room was blocked off from the rest of 26 they had to make a doorway to access the courtyard, Marys door was almost right at the corner of the alcove and the courtyard. Anyone who has built anything can recognize that the doorway to Marys room was retroactively added to the house.

The house had changes made on the interior a few times, but the gist of this whole scene is that the shed door accessed the shed, not the interior of #26, the door inside the archway access the interior of 26, the stairs and the salon, and when the salon was blocked from the rest of 26 using a wall made of scrap materials, the door to the courtyard was added, making that salon in #26 the room that becomes room 13 in Millers Court.
                          Michael Richards

Comment

In 1890 26 Dorset Street is defined as a shop (S).
                            No.26 is still shown as a shop in 1890?, likely because its change of use by McCarthy was not the result of a formal application to the City/Council.
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

That red circle shows us where the door to the interior of 26 was Jon, not room 13.
                              Michael.....you're killing me!

Ok, here's TWO red circles showing TWO doors.
                              Kelly's door is just an erasure, but the lower door was an original door, this was Prater's door to No.26, so shown correctly.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                                Something has changed over the years, but then that's not very unusual. And passageways were it seems more normal than rooms opening directly into each other.

BUT was this built as housing or a shop with housing in the court.
                                ^^ It has been speculated that the odd windows are to do with Mary's room having once been a pantry (smaller window) and a scullery (larger.)

Comment

Working...
                                X