Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
    Gareth, I think you already read this line in a previous link I supplied concerning the 'gate'.

"Dorset street is a fairly wide thoroughfare, and at night, owing to the lamps in the windows and over the doors of the numerous lodging-houses, it may be described as well-lighted."
    http://www.casebook.org/press_report.../18881110.html
    There you go, Jon. Exactly what I was after.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
      The idea that the lodging house would be lit up inside throughout the night is not a very likely one - if you ask me, that is.
      If you ask Mrs Prater, the lodging-house light stayed on until 4AM.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Dear Fish and Jon, my point wasn't so much about how well-lit the lodging house was, but that the newspaper article states that people hung around it during the night. Hence Mr Wideawake could have been one of the usual lodging-house loiterers, irrespective of the lighting conditions that may or may not have prevailed. That's why I underlined that particular bit in my original post:
        Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
        Interesting, Jon: "Opposite the court is a very large lodging-house, of a somewhat inferior character. This house is well lighted and people hang about it nearly all night."
        I hope that's clear, now.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
          Hi Brenda,

Good question. So now we discuss the:

"space between the door and the bed"

Was there any space?

Our hypothesis is that the bed is in front of the door as shown in MJK1.

Now we try som hypotheses to answer the question: "Was there any space?

1) Behind the bed we see a bundle which may have been placed on a small table. If so, there is a small space between the bed and door.

2) If the police moved the bed to it´s approximate original place it might be closer to the door in the photograph than it was at the time of the murder. Then there might have been a space.

3) If we are really bold we could hypothesize that there is splatter on the door but only around the area in the doorway where the killer stood with the door closed or almost closed behind him. Then we could interprete this area as the shadow of Jack the Ripper:
          Regards Pierre
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            Dear Fish and Jon, my point wasn't so much about how well-lit the lodging house was, but that the newspaper article states that people hung around it during the night. Hence Mr Wideawake could have been one of the usual lodging-house loiterers, irrespective of the lighting conditions that may or may not have prevailed. That's why I underlined that particular bit in my original post:

Absolutely, Sir - let´s say you shed some light on it! Plus, I tend to agree - most people found right outside a lodging house are lodgers...

Comment

Agreed, it doesn't mention a gate, though if you know how large a costermongers barrow was, you'd appreciate it would not fit through a front door

Why should this adress have both a front door and a gate at the same time and beside eachother?

Regards Pierre

Comment

• Originally posted by IchabodCrane View Post
                Yes, stupid me, it was so obvious! The door in the wall was there all along for all to see, and the statements just matching too exactly to be true! We all felt there was something wrong with them. Congratulations to Pierre!
                Thank you.

Regards Pierre

Comment

• Furniture

Moving of furniture by jack and pickfords famous british furniture removal firm .
                  Jack/pickfords have i uncovered pierres suspect.
                  Pierre was it mr pickford?

Comment

Why should 26 Dorset Street have both a front door and a gate at the same time and in the same wall?

Regards Pierre
                    Because every house had a front door, but not every house had its front wall removed to turn the ground floor front room into a storage shed.

The open front now needs wooden paneling to close the barrows inside the shed, and naturally, this large wooden front must move easily so construct it as a gate with hinges, or provide a gate in the wooden panels to permit access from the street.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
                      Yes, stupid me, it was so obvious! The door in the wall was there all along for all to see, and the statements just matching too exactly to be true! We all felt there was something wrong with them. Congratulations to Pierre!

Thank you.

Regards Pierre
                      So Pierre, what happened to the door knob & lock?
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• >>Why should this adress have both a front door and a gate at the same time and beside each other?<<

Dutfield's yard.
                        dustymiller
                        aka drstrange

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                          Dear Fish and Jon, my point wasn't so much about how well-lit the lodging house was, but that the newspaper article states that people hung around it during the night. Hence Mr Wideawake could have been one of the usual lodging-house loiterers, irrespective of the lighting conditions that may or may not have prevailed. That's why I underlined that particular bit in my original post:

Hi Gareth, sorry I was just having fun.

Though if we accept this loiterer was just any lonesome dosser taking in a bit of night air, then what was it about him that concerned Lewis so much?
                          I can't imagine she had never noticed loiterer's standing about the streets before, especially in front of a doss house.
                          Lewis said this man was "looking up the court", so not just standing there glancing up and down the street, minding his own business?
                          This loiterer was focused on Millers Court, opposite.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Hello Jon

True enough, but it's at least possible that a casual loiterer outside the lodging-house, staring into the distance, might be perceived as "looking up" Miller's Court - the entrance of which was, after all, diametrically opposite on the other side of the street? Lewis must only have seen him fleetingly, which might have reinforced the impression that he seemed to be looking at the dark, narrow archway that led to the Court.
                            Last edited by Sam Flynn; 11-29-2015, 05:20 PM.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
                              The earliest reference I recall of Eddows sometimes crashing in A shed is Daily Telegraph- October 3. Though it doesn't become the shed area at no 26 until after November 10th- in anything I've seen anyway.
                              Thankyou for that, I searched the press section here, but for some reason when I enter "shed" in the press search window, the Daily Telegraph of 3rd Oct. does not appear.

Go straight to the paper and it is there for sure, so the search routine is not as thorough as it should be.
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Lewis said this man was "looking up the court", so not just standing there glancing up and down the street, minding his own business?
                                This loiterer was focused on Millers Court, opposite.
                                g'day Jon

But how long was he looking up the Court?

If I'm standing waiting (usually for HERSELF) I will be looking around, now someone may see me and say I was looking in a shop, and for the brief period they observed me I may have been. Doesn't mean I was focused on that shop, might just be that I was bored out of my tine little head, and searching for something to occupy my mind.
                                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                                X