Social class of Jack the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
    Sorry I'm an idiot, I missed the October 13 date in your post. So you think it's made up?
    You're no idiot, Rocky! My post was a fairly lengthy one - I blame it on that This one's shorter:

Do I think the Eddowes "I know him" story was made up? To me, it's either a mistake or invented sensationalism, and it's not as if the Ripper case lacks examples of either phenomenon.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      ... It seems to me that the whole thing was either a complete fiction or a misattribution, perpetrated by the Casual Ward superintendent, the Observer, or both.
      Yes, however "pinning the tail on the donkey", so to speak, was common enough at the time.
      Many people seem to have an opinion on who they thought the killer was, the police were in regular receipt of accusations and theories.
      Eddowes may have been no different to scores of others who voiced an opinion, just idle gossip in my opinion.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

I think you're overestimating it, but even if not, the latest gossip would have been of two murders and NO reward. Even if carters were inclined to give news reports to (all?) hop-picking casuals, they only had incomplete information available to them at the relevant time; indeed, the Chapman inquest was to rumble on until 26th September.

Even assuming that one of these theoretical "carter-bulletins" actually reached Eddowes' ears, it beggars belief to see how she gained enough information to decide that she knew the killer, and compelled her to slog back to London to claim a non-existent reward.
        Having taken all your points on board I still can't come up with a better explanation for Kate getting herself out of prison in the middle of the night in a dangerous area. She must have had strong reasons, and a reward seems to be the strongest motive for a penniless woman. Worth taking some risks for.
        Still waiting for those other logical reasons...

Best wishes
        C4

Comment

• Prolly to earn enough for a bed for the night!
          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by curious4 View Post
            To be honest, the thought of her leaving the cells at all is absurd. She had a safe, warm and dry place to spend the night, with the prospect of a cup of tea and slice of bread in the morning (possibly).
            Almost sounds like they should have been queuing up at the door to get in!

Likely the potential to earn a few pence in what is left of the night was more attractive than a cell for the night.
            If she wants to eat, or more importantly - drink, at all the next day she needs money, and the easiest money (avoiding physical labor), she can earn is to get herself out on the streets before it gets too late.
            Or, to head south towards her daughters last known address?

I think there was a stigma associated with being locked up, regardless of the potential for a warm cuppa and dry bread.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Having taken all your points on board I still can't come up with a better explanation for Kate getting herself out of prison in the middle of the night in a dangerous area.
              Who wants to stay in a cell? Eddowes had had an independent streak all her life, and could look after herself.

I still can't see why her meeting with a mystery man is a better explanation than a host of other possibilities, which I'm not going to enumerate only for them to be gainsaid. It should be sufficient for me to say that the "rendezvous" theory strikes me as very unlikely indeed. For one thing, there are too many logistical issues adhering to it; for another, it smacks too much of conspiracy theory, and those are rarely, if ever, correct.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Who wants to stay in a cell? Eddowes had had an independent streak all her life, and could look after herself.

I still can't see why her meeting with a mystery man is a better explanation than a host of other possibilities, which I'm not going to enumerate only for them to be gainsaid. It should be sufficient for me to say that the "rendezvous" theory strikes me as very unlikely indeed. For one thing, there are too many logistical issues adhering to it; for another, it smacks too much of conspiracy theory, and those are rarely, if ever, correct.
                Indeed, but she wasn't stupid. And, as you said, she didn't have a home to go to.

Best wishes
                C4

Comment

Indeed, but she wasn't stupid.
                  That she later accompanied a possible stranger into a dark square might suggest otherwise.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

That she later accompanied a possible stranger into a dark square might suggest otherwise.
                    Unless he WASN'T a stranger, and the reward she expected was more along the lines of blackmail than a police reward. (I know, we stray into speculation-- but isn't all ripperology built upon speculation?)
                    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                    ---------------
                    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                    ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                      Unless he WASN'T a stranger, and the reward she expected was more along the lines of blackmail than a police reward.
                      Winner,winner! Chicken dinner!

Comment

I know, we stray into speculation-- but isn't all ripperology built upon speculation?
                        Mine isn't, PCDunn... at least, I try to keep speculation to a minimum, whilst keeping my Ockham's razor well-honed.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Obviously he wasn't a stranger if she had arranged to meet him, but I don't see Kate as a blackmailer.

Cheers
                          C4

Comment

• ^ I think Kate was probably capable of a bit of blackmail but only if she didn't get into trouble for it. I don't see her accompanying or taking a male to one of the most desolate and dark squares in the City in order to extract her pound of flesh, though.

If they were going to rendezvous why not do it in a nearby pub, unless she was uncertain that he would buy her a drink while negotiations went on!

I really think Kate didn't like the police or police cells very much and wanted to be off. Why would she be worried about a bit of rain? It wasn't coming down in sheets, and she and her boyfriend had probably slept in worse.

Like Wickerman, I think Kate wanted to eat and drink the next day and I'm not talking about a piece of dry bread! . She wouldn't be earning anything stuck in a police cell with no company!

Comment

• I won something?

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                              Winner,winner! Chicken dinner!
                              Thank you, I just finished a very nice roast chicken dinner.

Well, let's leave aside the blackmail. Maybe Kate knew a reporter, and was going to tell her story to him in a private spot, in return for money, but he was the Ripper himself.
                              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                              ---------------
                              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                              ---------------

Comment

Maybe Kate knew a reporter, and was going to tell her story to him in a private spot, in return for money, but he was the Ripper himself.
                                Carl Kolchak,eat your heart out

Comment

Working...
                                X