Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man in the mirror

Hello all

Of all the faces reflected in the mirror in the Punch cartoon, which one is most likely to have been a good choice for being JTR?

All of the faces must have reflected (sorry) an idea of who was suspected by the general public. I know Thicke was accused in an anonymous letter, most probably by someone with a grudge, but are there grounds for suspecting a policeman? Or is one of the other reflections a more viable suspect? If you had to choose.

Best wishes
    C4

You're referring to the Puck cartoon, yes?

For those at home who don't know the cartoon in question:

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
      You're referring to the Puck cartoon, yes?

For those at home who don't know the cartoon in question:
      http://i.imgur.com/1cvNuww.jpg
      Yepp, that's the one.

C4

Comment

Originally posted by curious4 View Post
        Of all the faces reflected in the mirror in the Punch cartoon, which one is most likely to have been a good choice for being JTR?
        Strangely enough, none of them - which might tell us something about how "suspicion" works. If anything, the "Jack" looking at them seems a more likely candidate to me, even with his back turned to us!

Great question, by the way
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
          Strangely enough, none of them - which might tell us something about how "suspicion" works. If anything, the "Jack" looking at them seems a more likely candidate to me, even with his back turned to us!

Thank you. Actually that would have been my choice as well.
          Something about the way he's standing. And of course the knife dripping blood is a clue :-D
          C4
          Last edited by curious4; 11-24-2015, 09:42 AM.

Comment

^ Half those faces would send women screaming in the other direction, not walking with the owners somewhere quiet and dark.

Is the cartoonist an Australian, I wonder? The way 'Jack' is dressed is really similar to how Australian bushrangers of the time were portrayed in Aussie magazines and newspapers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post

Agree, on both points
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Thank you. Actually that would have been my choice as well.
                Something about the way he's standing. And of course the knife dripping blood is a clue :-D
                C4
                Actually you can see the face of the man staring at the other faces, and he has a ferocious looking face from the third of it the reflection in the center shows. There is a one with a hooked nose who must be the artists rendition of a Jew (a stereotypical one) and also one that looks like a woman. The one on top looks too stupid to be the Ripper, and the clergyman seems interesting but is drawn too comically. The one with the bandana and the handlebar moustache looks like a performer in "The Pirates of Penzance" more than the Ripper. Interestingly, when "The Pirates of Penzance" was produced in 1880 Richard Mansfield played "Major General Stanley" for awhile.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                  Actually you can see the face of the man staring at the other faces, and he has a ferocious looking face from the third of it the reflection in the center shows. There is a one with a hooked nose who must be the artists rendition of a Jew (a stereotypical one) and also one that looks like a woman. The one on top looks too stupid to be the Ripper, and the clergyman seems interesting but is drawn too comically. The one with the bandana and the handlebar moustache looks like a performer in "The Pirates of Penzance" more than the Ripper. Interestingly, when "The Pirates of Penzance" was produced in 1880 Richard Mansfield played "Major General Stanley" for awhile.

Jeff
                  Not sure the reflection facing the man is him. The moustache seems wrong and his hat is squashed down a bit on the top. It has just struck me that the man with his back to us could be a slaughterer. I think the clothes look right and he is wearing an apron.

Cheers
                  C4

Comment

In the frame at the bottom on the left, which at first sight looks empty, there is something like a snake or a knot or a badge(?). Can't quite make it out, perhaps someone with better sight can make it out.

C4

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post

Jeff

Yep the man looking at the mirror done it.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        Yep the man looking at the mirror done it.
                        Hallo GUT

Nice to see you back :-).

No 'e nevver, wuz the invisible copper wot dunnit!

Getting serious, though, all the "selfies", even though caricatures, represent different classes and professions. And also give an idea of who was suspected by the man (or woman) on the street.

I gather ladies out on shady business avoided the police, but on being told "come alonga me to the station", might protest but would follow". Perhaps Watkins was a brilliant actor, did for Kate and then went into his "mate, come and assist me!" routine.

A woman might be trusted, or a clergyman, hardly a brigand, although they are endowed with a certain glamour for some women.

I believe we should broaden the field a little, even if we do have our own particular suspect.

Best wishes
                        C4

Comment

Hallo GUT

Nice to see you back :-).

No 'e nevver, wuz the invisible copper wot dunnit!

Getting serious, though, all the "selfies", even though caricatures, represent different classes and professions. And also give an idea of who was suspected by the man (or woman) on the street.

I gather ladies out on shady business avoided the police, but on being told "come alonga me to the station", might protest but would follow". Perhaps Watkins was a brilliant actor, did for Kate and then went into his "mate, come and assist me!" routine.

A woman might be trusted, or a clergyman, hardly a brigand, although they are endowed with a certain glamour for some women.

I believe we should broaden the field a little, even if we do have our own particular suspect.

Best wishes
                          C4

G'day C4

That I agree with.

Not too happy to be back.

Gotta cook clean, make me own bed, they make me pay to get a diet coke, it's tough.
                          G U T

Comment

Working...
                          X