Does anything rule Bury out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    I'm not arguing that Bury would've been home and dry if he made good his escape, but surely that had to be preferable to turning himself into the police in the vain hope they would swallow his ludicrous story.
    I’ve already explained to you why Bury might have chosen against flight. Once Bury decided against flight, he in effect became a trapped man, and it’s not unreasonable to expect some mental deterioration and desperation to have appeared in Bury as the clock continued to tick. Why would you expect an alcoholic maniac in possible mental decline to make a wise decision about anything?

Bury had always flown from his murder scenes before, but he was in a different situation this time. This time, if he flew, the police would know exactly who they were looking for—“William Bury.” While flight might have been your preference, it was not Bury’s.

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    Also, you believe he was the Ripper despite the fact he handed himself in, so theoretically why wouldn't the police be of the same opinion?
    As you well know, Harry, Bury did not “turn himself in.” He did not confess to anything at the police station. Why the deliberate mischaracterization?

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    Another mark against him is that while William Bury was six feet under, Alice McKenzie was busy getting murdered in a far more 'Ripper-like' fashion than Ellen Bury.
    Negative. Keppel et al took a close look at the McKenzie murder, and they could not link it to the Ripper via signature analysis.
    Last edited by Wyatt Earp; 04-09-2015, 04:28 PM.
    “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

William Bury, Victorian Murderer
    http://www.williambury.org

Comment

• Hi all,

This is from Casebook.org, "Jack the Ripper: A Suspect Guide - William Henry Bury":

"On 7 April, only five days after they were married, Haynes, hearing Ellen screaming, rushed to her aid to find Bury kneeling on her attempting to cut her throat with a table knife which he was holding in his left hand."

If the Ripper was a rightender man, isn'it important Bury held the knife in his left hand?

Thank you all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Emanuele Ciantò View Post
        Hi all,

This is from Casebook.org, "Jack the Ripper: A Suspect Guide - William Henry Bury":

"On 7 April, only five days after they were married, Haynes, hearing Ellen screaming, rushed to her aid to find Bury kneeling on her attempting to cut her throat with a table knife which he was holding in his left hand."

If the Ripper was a rightender man, isn'it important Bury held the knife in his left hand?

Thank you all.
        Emanuele, this is from the official William Bury trial notes; the statement of Elizabeth Haynes reads, “He was kneeling on top of her with a table knife in his right hand.” Bury was right-handed.
        “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

Comment

• The Evening Telegraph trial transcript, which provides a more detailed record of the trial, is in agreement with this. It includes this exchange: “How was he holding it?—In his right hand.”

Comment

• I don't think it would matter either way, as it's never been definitively proven which hand the Ripper used to knife his victims.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
              I don't think it would matter either way, as it's never been definitively proven which hand the Ripper used to knife his victims.
              I agree Harry there seems to be no consensus on wether the Ripper was right, left handed or ambidextrous?

Cheers John

Comment

• Nothing rules Bury out whets ever and if you ask me Bury is worth discussing because he is a proven wife murderer and was in London at the time which is much more than can be said for pretty much every other suspect.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                  Nothing rules Bury out whets ever and if you ask me Bury is worth discussing because he is a proven wife murderer and was in London at the time which is much more than can be said for pretty much every other suspect.
                  Very much so.

Though I'd suggest same applies to a t least Kelly and possibly deeming ( to a lesser degree).
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                    Very much so.

Though I'd suggest same applies to a t least Kelly and possibly deeming ( to a lesser degree).
                    To Gut

Yes Kelly is the other suspect that this applies to.

Cheers John

Comment

Nothing rules Bury out whets ever and if you ask me Bury is worth discussing because he is a proven wife murderer and was in London at the time which is much more than can be said for pretty much every other suspect.
                      I agree. However, he has fallen a bit on my scale as there is nothing that ties him to any of the actual crimes.

That he was a known wife killer with similar method and was a person of interest at the time are the main points in favor IMHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                        I agree. However, he has fallen a bit on my scale as there is nothing that ties him to any of the actual crimes.

That he was a known wife killer with similar method and was a person of interest at the time are the main points in favor IMHO.
                        To Abby

There's very little to tie any suspect to any of the actual crimes.

Cheers John

Comment

To Abby

There's very little to tie any suspect to any of the actual crimes.

Cheers John
                          That is true. However these do:

kosminsky
                          Hutchinson
                          Blotchy
                          Lech
                          LeGrande (remember him?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                            That is true. However these do:

kosminsky
                            Hutchinson
                            Blotchy
                            Lech
                            LeGrande (remember him?)
                            To Abbey

Could you go into more detail. Apart from Blotchy we don't know who Blotchy was. Its perfectly possible that Bury was Blotchy.

Cheers John

Comment

To Abbey

Could you go into more detail. Apart from Blotchy we don't know who Blotchy was. Its perfectly possible that Bury was Blotchy.

Cheers John
                              Hi John
                              Well that's the conundrum with Blotchy. We really don't know who he was. However, he was described in a very specific way-Blotchy face and red hair/mustache.

I think he fits the description (somewhat) of a lot of other unnamed suspects-sailor man, the other men described around the Fiddymont sighting, ada Wilson attack, pipeman.

he also fits the description of legrande I believe-red hair? if I remember correctly.

I don't think bury was described as having red, or even sandy/fair hair was he?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                                OK I'll put my head over the parapet...

(a) he didn't cut her throat - JtR did

(b) he employed a ligature - JtR didn't

(C) his abdominal mutilations, such as they were, seem tentative if not imitatory

(D) Does he leave her posed on the street? No he attempts to pack her into a wooden box, breaking her leg in the process...

(E) He's not quick witted - he hangs around for almost a week as if wondering what to do...christ all he had to do was have a shave and catch a train...any train, headed anywhere...this was maybe the last generation that could make a trace-free fresh start - Cadosche did...this guy could've...and didn't...

(F) far from any escape strategy or even hasty risk taking, he eventually wanders down to the local copshop and effectively (though Wyatt Earp denies it) hands himself in...

Is this not enough?
                                He knew her. Post mortem fantasies might have been different.
                                Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                                - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Working...
                                X