J. H. Scott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
    I'm open to Jack maybe having written a letter, the question is which, and if you can prove a suspect wrote letter(s) how do yu prove that was one of Jacks.

There were hundreds if not thousands of them, especially once the name caught on he couldn't have written them all.
    Probably not the American letters, at least. Certainly not the long one wriiten to the newspaper in Leadville, Colorado, complaining about the vice and sin in the mining town and promising to return soon.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
      I'm open to Jack maybe having written a letter, the question is which, and if you can prove a suspect wrote letter(s) how do yu prove that was one of Jacks.

There were hundreds if not thousands of them, especially once the name caught on he couldn't have written them all.
      He very well could have written a letter or two. It possile, since it was a bit of a national sport, he very well could have tried it. I was only mentioning another author who has argued, according to one of the linked articles in the post about it in the books section, for his writing ALL the letters (or at least all the ones the originated in the UK). I think attributing the ones from the US, Canada and most of Europe, were there any from India? Because those I would give to the real killer, would be a bit too much of a stretch even for Cornwell.
      I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

• Greetings,

I've been lurking here for many years and finally got around to signing on.

I've been interested in Rev. Scott for some time and have been trying to research him in my spare time. I've found essentially what you have shared and little else.

Have you been able to determine what his full name is or where and when he died?

I like your theory very much, except for the dumping which I think is not supported. Scott certainly deserves some scrutiny from this community. I'm shocked he has gone this long without notice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Baynes View Post
          Greetings,

I've been lurking here for many years and finally got around to signing on.

I've been interested in Rev. Scott for some time and have been trying to research him in my spare time. I've found essentially what you have shared and little else.

Have you been able to determine what his full name is or where and when he died?

I like your theory very much, except for the dumping which I think is not supported. Scott certainly deserves some scrutiny from this community. I'm shocked he has gone this long without notice.
          Baynes,

I've just started researching Scott, so this is quite fragmented.

His full name is John Hubert Scott, b. 1848 in Liverpool
          Father: John Scott, b. 1815 in Newcastle upon Tyne
          Mother: Margaret Scott, b. 1820, Whitehaven, Cumberland

He had two sisters:
          Louisa Scott, b. 1843, Liverpool, Lancashire
          Caroline Scott, b. 1845, Liverpool, Lancashire

He married Caroline Morris, they had two children: Annie Scott and Caroline Scott.

Annie married John Walsh, I believe while the family was at Christ Church, I believe Walsh was a deacon at the church and later became Rev. Walsh.

J H Scott died in 1919(age 73) and is buried in the Aston Flamville (Saint Peter) Churchyard, Aston Flamville, England

He was Honorary Chaplain of the “Queen’s Own” Dorset Yeomanry Calvary

He was a Freemason Quatuor Coronati Lodge 2076 London

MA of St John’s college Cambridge

In 1862 he lived in a rectory in Itchingfield, in the Horsham district of West Sussex

In 1878 he lived in the All Saints Rectory, All Saints Street Lodge road, Birmingham

In 1888 he lived at Christ Church Rectory, Spitalfields

In 1898 he lived at 38 west Cromwell Road, Earls Court London SW
          Jack Whicher
          __________________________________________________ ___________
          FONT="Garamond"]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains,
          no matter how improbable, must be the truth."[/FONT]

Comment

• Jack,
            Thank you for the information on Rev. Scott. He seems to have been a career man of the cloth, certainly. (And a Freemason!) ;-)
            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
            ---------------
            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
            ---------------

Comment

• Hello Jack Whicher,

>>He made home visits to the victims
              He knew most of the victims<<

Thanks for all the information you are suppling.

Just to confirm, you have evidence that Rev. Scott actually knew Mrs's. Nichols, Chapman and/or Eddowes?
              Also that he visited Mary Kelly at Millers Court and Stride and Kidney at their home?
              dustymiller
              aka drstrange

Comment

• Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                Hello Jack Whicher,

>>He made home visits to the victims
                He knew most of the victims<<

Thanks for all the information you are suppling.

Just to confirm, you have evidence that Rev. Scott actually knew Mrs's. Nichols, Chapman and/or Eddowes?
                Also that he visited Mary Kelly at Millers Court and Stride and Kidney at their home?
                drstrange169

At this time, what I have is taken from “The Review of the Churches”, Rev. H. S. Lunn, vol. 6, 1894. The information comes from an interview of Scott. The victims were members of his parish, he made home visits on an active basis, and some victims were known to him “personally.” I base this on the following quote:
                “Spitalfields is a remarkable parish of between 20,000 and 25,000 population, and the shepherd who has charge over this flock is the Rev. J. H. Scott, M. A…
                Some 8000 parishioners are denizens of the common lodging-houses. The poor women who fell victims to what were called the “Whitechapel murders” were each and all connected with these lodging-houses, and some of these poor creatures were well known to the clergy. …
                House to house visitation is actively carried out and this is greatly insisted on.” (page 92)
                Jack Whicher

Comment

• Just slapped my forehead! Of course!

I remember the good Rev Scott. Someone suggested him a few years back and I looked him up at the time.

I'll have to rummage though my files and dig up what I found. He had some kind of nervous breakdown or something similar I vaguely recall.
                  dustymiller
                  aka drstrange

Comment

Just slapped my forehead! Of course!

I remember the good Rev Scott. Someone suggested him a few years back and I looked him up at the time.

I'll have to rummage though my files and dig up what I found. He had some kind of nervous breakdown or something similar I vaguely recall.
                    drstrange169,

I've seen something about a nervous breakdown too, but I can't find it in my notes.

Scott wrote a book: A Short History of Spitalfields 1197-1894 I am trying to find a copy.

If anyone has a suggestion it would be gratefully appreciated.

J. Whicher
                    Jack Whicher

Comment

Just slapped my forehead! Of course!

This from The Guardian on Wednesday August 5, 1896 in regard to the breakdown:

"The Record regrets to learn that the health of tho Rev. J. H. Scott, rector and Rural Dean of Spitalfields, has completely broken down, and that he has been compelled to rosign the living. "Tho caro of the larger East-end parishes involves most serious responsibilities, and the day-by-day worries and anxieties try even the strongest of men. It is generally believed that it was his work at Spitalfields which undermined the constitution of the Hishop of Bedford, and now his successor, aftoran eight years' incumbency there, is suffering severely from the strain. Facts like theso raise issues of wide import. It is a serious question whether tho ordinary parochial system of the Church of England is adapted for such parishos. The population is not only largo and poor, but it presents features of difficulty which are only to be found at tho East-end. Then again, there is the question of linanco. It is generally understood that to successfully work a parish like that of Spitalfields it is necessary to raiso between 2,000i. and '.1,0001. every year. This is an intolerable burden to bo placed on the shoulders of tho incrrnibent, and must of necessity weaken his powers for a more directly spiiitual work. It is not easy to suggest a remedy, but the problem ought to bo faced by tho authorities, and that speedily."

Get this Guardian page for free from Wednesday, August 5, 1896 THE GUARDIAN, AUGUST 5, 1896. 1209 LICENCES TO CURACIES.. Edition of Guardian

This bit may raise more questions than answers:

"The Rev Marmaduke Hare rector of Bow has disappeared Private money troubles are said to be the cause It is a curious fact the Bethnal Green News observes that Mr Hare's predecessor left the parish under peculiar circumstances while the extraordinary resignation of the Rev JH Scott late rector of Spitalfields will be fresh in the public mind East London is unfortunate with some of its rectors"

Not sure why it was "extraordinary" but apparently it was...

Also of note is this dated August 24, 1889, possibly referencing the Alice Mackenzie murder:

"THE REv JH Scott the Rector of Spitalfields referring to remarks made by the Coroner in the case of the last East End murder on the demoralised condition of his parishioners says that the remedy for it is to be found not in more church accommodation but in the presence of men and women with consecrated lives content to work under regularly constituted organisation avoiding spasmodic effort on the one hand and overlapping on the other A residence for them in the parish is much wanted and the Rector appeals for 2,ooo to purchase suitable freehold premises for this purpose"

Comment

• If he took the parish over in 1888, I don't see how he would have gathered enough local knowledge to disappear into thé back streets and alleys as the killer undoubtedly did.

Best wishes
                        C4

Comment

• Originally posted by curious4 View Post
                          If he took the parish over in 1888, I don't see how he would have gathered enough local knowledge to disappear into thé back streets and alleys as the killer undoubtedly did.

Best wishes
                          C4
                          Hello curious4

There were no "back streets and alleys"

Spitalfields parish in the late 19th century had streets that were about 28 feet wide. The fronts of buildings touched each other and formed a wall on either side of the street. At the back of some buildings there were openings into small courtyards.

There were no alleys dividing the blocks; some internal courtyards had walkways allowing access from the street.

As to needing lots of time to learn how to maneuver through Spitalfields, there were very good maps, and Christ Church had schools, workhouses, soup kitchens, and mission buildings throughout the area. For example, Christ Church Meeting Hall was 30' from 29 Hancock St where Chapman's body was found. Scott would have delivered sermons in the building.
                          Jack Whicher

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
                            Apparently so does Robinson. So that's two at least.
                            Whether JR wrote all the letters is not my focus; the time span of his activities is. JR started killing in 1888 and quit writing letters in 1896.

Scott moved to Christ Church Rectory in 1888 and left in 1895 due to mental illness.

Coincidence?
                            Jack Whicher

Comment

• ^ Just because this clergyman lived in the area at the time of the murders and had a nervous breakdown (or something more serious) several years later, does not make him a serial killer.

Spitalfields and Whitechapel were ill-lit and extremely shabby areas with some outright slum buildings. There were plenty of places in Whitechapel that would qualify as 'back streets', like Bucks Row, also dimly lit. Some of the buildings in this locale had shadowy passageways leading to extremely dark yards. There were plenty of places in Spitalfields for a killer to hide if he wished to.
                              Last edited by Rosella; 10-12-2015, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• Hi Jack and welcome to Casebook,

Originally posted by Jack Whicher View Post
                                J H Scott ...
                                He supervised a mortuary w/in 1/4 mile of all the victims.
                                His mortuary had devices commonly used to transport human bodies as well as knives and equipment necessary to perform an autopsy, dismember, or mutilate.
                                What mortuary do you refer to please?

Roy
                                Sink the Bismark

Comment

Working...
                                X