Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where was Bishopsgate police station?

Hello everyone

First time poster so apologies if this has been asked before.

Does anyone know where the original Bishopsgate police station was that Catherine Eddowes left shortly before her death? I know the current station is on Bishopsgate Street but that was built in 1939. Was the original on the same site or anywhere near?

Thank you.

I think it has always been located there even since it was rebuilt in the 30's.

Interesting to see how close on google maps Spital Square is to Bishopsgate, it's an off turn from the road, where George Bagster Phillips lived.

Comment

Originally posted by All4One View Post

Does anyone know where the original police station was that Catherine Eddowes left shortly before her death?
      By memory, it was near Goulston Street.
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

The original Bishopsgate Police Station was opened in 1861 at 182 Bishopsgate, its current address. In 1866 a Police Hospital opened behind it. In 1936 both buildings were demolished and a new five storey police station was built on the site. It incorporated a small police infirmary and a station house as well.

I know the police station was only about 8 minutes walk away from Mitre Square. However, Kate Eddowes was MIA for about 30 minutes between being released and being seen at Church Passage entry to Mitre Square.

I'm having trouble finding a map that shows Catherine's possible route after she left the police station. A good map that shows Aldgate High street, Billingsgate police Station in 1888 and the Houndsditch direction Catherine turned to when leaving the police station would be a great help.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
          The original Bishopsgate Police Station was opened in 1861 at 182 Bishopsgate, its current address. In 1866 a Police Hospital opened behind it. In 1936 both buildings were demolished and a new five storey police station was built on the site. It incorporated a small police infirmary and a station house as well.

I know the police station was only about 8 minutes walk away from Mitre Square. However, Kate Eddowes was MIA for about 30 minutes between being released and being seen at Church Passage entry to Mitre Square.

I'm having trouble finding a map that shows Catherine's possible route after she left the police station. A good map that shows Aldgate High street, Billingsgate police Station in 1888 and the Houndsditch direction Catherine turned to when leaving the police station would be a great help.
          Oops!My bad.Wrong police station.

Google Earth is a handy tool for trip measurements,etc.PS now on the corner of Victoria Avenue,just above Rose Alley.

Edit. Better res map

Last edited by DJA; 10-09-2015, 05:36 AM. Reason: Better map from some mob called casebook :)

Comment

Thanks very much for the maps DJA, but which police station were you after?

Comment

Mistakenly thought of the one Jack would have passed if he went up Aldgate Street before entering Goulston Street.

Comment

Thank you for the help everyone. The maps are very useful

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                  Hi Rosella,

I know other maps have been post, but below a very map/site that I use from time to time. You can give a location or just zoom in.

All the best,
                  Frank
                  "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
                  Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Thank you Frank. Any maps are useful and handy for me as I have no sense of direction whatever!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	East3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	666272

1 City Police find Catherine Eddowes inebriated in the afternoon
                      2 She is detained at Bishopsgate Police Station
                      3 Mitre Square, site of murder
                      4 Apron piece found here

from a 1940 map (click)
                      Sink the Bismark

Comment

Originally posted by All4One View Post
                        Hello everyone

First time poster so apologies if this has been asked before.

Does anyone know where the original Bishopsgate police station was that Catherine Eddowes left shortly before her death? I know the current station is on Bishopsgate Street but that was built in 1939. Was the original on the same site or anywhere near?

Thank you.
                        Hi,
                        Bishopsgate police station is in exactly the same spot as the one in 1888.

Regards

Comment

Thank you Roy, that map is very clear. Now was Kate going to find more drink or money or...?

Comment

Great map.Not seen that one before.Thanks also.

Kate was found outside 25 (or 29) which had The Bull Inn upstairs.

She was found dead less than 6 hours later and "roughly 8 doors away as the crow flies".

The Bull Inn was possibly used for police surveillance that night.

Goad maps 1887 and 1939 are worth a look.

The area was crawling with police.
                            Last edited by DJA; 10-11-2015, 08:57 AM. Reason: 45 minutes out.

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                              Great map.Not seen that one before.Thanks also.

Kate was found outside 25 (or 29) which had The Bull Inn upstairs.

She was found dead less than 6 hours later and "roughly 8 doors away as the crow flies".

The Bull Inn was possibly used for police surveillance that night.

Goad maps 1887 and 1939 are worth a look.

The area was crawling with police.
                              Why it isn't obvious to everyone she was on her to meet whoever paid to get her drunk earlier in the day is beyond me
                              You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Working...
                              X