Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why disguise the fact that JtR was educated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert View Post
    Hi Scott

But since Simon was born in Spitalfields, would he have produced such tortured English? And surely he'd have seen the words "Jews' Free School" every time he went to school. Could he have written 'Juwes' or 'Jewes'?
    It looks like a deliberate misspelling to me if we assume that the artist is English. Maybe it imitates a spelling that was seen somewhere else.
    I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

His u looked like an e because of the contour of the brick. That's why there was actually some disagreement among the police. The second e was there because a lot of people in the East End actually pronounced the word with two syllables, and he thought that "Jews'" possessive and "Jewes" plural were spelled differently.

The tortured English was an attempt to copy the Yiddish dialect of the people around (so he wouldn't get blamed, because he wasn't supposed to write on the walls); he didn't reproduce it very well, but it was a good try.

Mystery solved.

Comment

Hi Riv

You mean, a lot of Jewish people pronounced it with two syllables?

Comment

Uh, I thought we were just making crap up.

Comment

Simon clearly needed more lessons.

Comment

And we don't make up crap on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                Is this a new rule that has just now gone into effect?

c.d.

Comment

Well... That's me out. Now I'm gonna have to learn something and not just talk smack.
                  I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
                    Uh, I thought we were just making crap up.
                    So when does this kick in?????
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• May as well shut the site down now with this crazy new rule about not makng stuff up.

What theories will we have left to argue over.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        May as well shut the site down now with this crazy new rule about not makng stuff up.

What theories will we have left to argue over.
                        Angels on a pinhead, sha 'Ti bébé.
                        From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
                        "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

• Handwriting

I think it was on this thread the question of the GSG handwriting came up. Looking in "Letters from Hell", Evans and Skinner, I found this from the Pall Mall Gazette: "The witnesses who saw the writing, however, state that it was similar in character to the letters sent to the Central News and signed "Jack the Ripper"...

Best wishes
                          C4

P.S. Not made up, honest!

Comment

• Of course Swanson maintains that the police who saw the graffito said the handwriting was quite different to the Dear Boss letter. But I'm beginning to have my doubts about Swanson.

C4
                            Last edited by curious4; 09-06-2015, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post

I cant for the life of me imagine anyone going to such lengths as to obtain a section of a human kidney, immerse it in spirits for approximately the elapsed time from the Eddowes murder to Lusks receipt of the package, simply for a lark.

Cheers
                              An interesting aspect here is that if it were a hoax, the perpetrator had to have gotten the idea for the prank from the time the body was discovered. So, he would have had to work quickly to obtain a kidney and get it steeping in spirits immediately, then hold off on his big joke until an auspicious moment arrived to actually mail the package.

The more I think about it, the less I think this was a hoax.

Comment

• Originally posted by curious View Post
                                An interesting aspect here is that if it were a hoax, the perpetrator had to have gotten the idea for the prank from the time the body was discovered. So, he would have had to work quickly to obtain a kidney and get it steeping in spirits immediately, then hold off on his big joke until an auspicious moment arrived to actually mail the package.

The more I think about it, the less I think this was a hoax.
                                Hi Curious
                                That's a great point-hadn't thought about it before!

also, why would someone in the medical field preserve it in "spirits"? wouldn't they use what would be available and normally used by someone in the profession?

and why cut it in half? and why wait approx. three weeks?
                                and it just happens to be from a female?

you would think a hoaxer would send it as soon as, after hearing about eddowes kidney being taken, he could get their hands on it.

ive always thought the kidney From Hell letter had a good chance of being authentic.

Comment

Working...
                                X