Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alice McKenzie's name

Hello all,

I found this, in an obscure newspaper from New Zealand, and do not believe it has been noticed before (he says, holding his breath!)

From Te Aroha News, 21 Aug 1889

Alice McKenzie..... also known as Alice Kell.

Please note. NOT Kelly. Kell. Although that makes me wonder too.

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Hi Phil
    This version of her name was also given in an article in the same paper on 27 July of the same year
    The full article can be found at:

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
      Hi Phil
      This version of her name was also given in an article in the same paper on 27 July of the same year
      The full article can be found at:
      http://www.casebook.org/press_report...ws/890727.html
      Hello Chris,
      Happy New Year!

Thank you.
      I knew it was too good to be true..hahaha!

best wishes

Phil
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hi Phil
        Thanks for pointing out the info:-)
        There are also mentions in press reports of McKenzie using the name Kelly, which means that at least 4 of the victims (including C5 and non canonicals) are reputed to have used the name Kelly:
        Tabram
        Eddowes
        Kelly herself and
        McKenzie

Chris

Comment

Chris,
          Indeed...
          And I believe there were 270 odd Kelly's in London at the time?

Can we suggest a Kelly fixation? hahahaha!

No wonder they call it the Kelly directory.

best wishes

Phil
          Last edited by Phil Carter; 01-02-2010, 03:45 AM.
          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

1883-4 Stepney Workhouse Infirmary

Found this where it says Widow of Joseph Mckenzie Cabinet maker. Not sure if she was telling porkies? Ulcerated Stomma diagnosis....

Very Interesting about the Kelly name on this old thread....

Pat.....
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Pat
              I wondered if she was lying too.
              There are a couple of other entries for Alice in the Whitechapel Infirmary and one for another workhouse. She kept being brought to the workhouse by police and interestingly was found drunk on Dorset St. once.
              One entry looks like her husband's name was given as John but she's consistent with the carpenter/cabinet maker description of him.
              I didn't manage to locate him at all.

I wasn't able to decipher what she in for in the first entry but you did a good job of it.

I didn't realise until very recently that people were sometimes taken to workhouses or Infirmaries to await being taken to the magistrate's court the next day after being arrested, rather than being kept in cells.

Admitted Aug 11th 1883 Whitechapel Infirmary admission and discharge register StBG/WL/123/16
              Alice Mc Kenzie age 37 admitted from 36 F & D St (Flower and Dean) widow of Joseph, cabinet maker.
              admitted with ulcerated sta??? CofE admitted 8pm settlement 3 weeks discharged 24.8.83

Admitted Mon Nov 5th 1883 Whitechapel Infirmary admission and discharge register StBG/WL/123/16
              Alice Mc Kenzie age 37 admitted from - PC 267H found in Dorset St, widow of j?? carpenter
              admitted for alcoholism. C of E admitted 3.40am settlement 6 months discharged 16.11.83

Admitted Thurs Dec 28th Whitechapel Infirmary admission and discharge register StBG/WL/123/16
              Alice Mc Kenzie age 37, admitted from- PC 1162 H Leman St, widow of j?? carpenter,
              admitted for alcoholism and fits, ditto marks for religion as RC, admitted 3.10am settlement 2 years discharged 2.1.84

Aug 1st 1877 Saint George´s Workhouse, Mint Street Register, 1877-1878 SOBG/106/8
              Alice Mackenzie, hawker, church of England, birth year 1846, admitted from St george parish brought in by PC 110L
              charged with being drunk discharged wed Aug 1st -how discharged- (for court?) by PC256L

Comment

Hi Debra Thanks, I wonder if it may be Stomach? I think Chris said it might be Stomma but not sure how he spelt it....
                Being an alcoholic she could well have an ulcerated stomach. I have been looking for Joseph or John Mckenzie too. No luck yet...
                Pat..

Comment

Stoma

Stoma's likely. My uncle has Crohn's disease, stomas are a problem.

sixpartswater.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, sixpartswater.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Are there any references to Alice Kell or Alice Kelly in the workhouse books I wonder...seeing as she may or may not have used that name on occasion?

Just wondering.

Phil
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Workhouse records

Hi Phil, Cant see any Kells and out of the loads of Kellys nothing jumps out...
                      Pat....

Comment

Description of Alice Mckenzie?

Can anyone point me to a description of Alice Mckenzie please?
                        There is a lady called that imprisoned 1868-70 in Lancashire (on FMP)
                        It says she is Irish born, 5.2", freckled, brown eyes and dark hair? The age is right just wondered if it could be her?

Thanks
                        Pat...

Comment

Paul Begg's book. Jack the Ripper: The Forgotten Victims says- Alice McKenzie is described as having been 5' 4", pale complexion and brown hair and eyes. She was also missing the top of her left thumb.
                          Last edited by Shaggyrand; 09-03-2015, 11:52 AM.
                          I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Shame

Thanks so much for your info. Pity.. she was 5.2", Scar on Eyebrow, moles on inner arm and freckled in the police records so perhaps not her.

Comment

Working...
                            X