No announcement yet.

Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 years ago - 1965 September 3 - At Stockport, England, the partially clothed body of Edith Gleaves, 38, is found in a field. The victim had been brutally raped and possibly suffocated. On the previous evening, Ms. Gleaves had been seen in the company of two men who were said to have Cockney accents. Police had good descriptions of the men and received many tips but they were never able to solve the murder.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 1000 years ago - 1015 September 5 - Gleb Vladimirovich is murdered when his own cook, a man known as Torchin, cuts his throat. The killing was at the behest of the future ruler of Kiev who regarded Gleb as a potential rival for the throne.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 September 8 - Margaret Reynolds, 6, vanishes as she walks to school in England. In the following January, her body, along with the remains of another little girl who disappeared later in the year, was found in a ditch. There is little doubt that these girls where murdered by a man named Raymond Morris. In 1968, he was found guilty of murdering third young girl and given a life sentence. Morris died incarcerated in 2014.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
          1000 years ago - 1015 September 5 - Gleb Vladimirovich is murdered when his own cook, a man known as Torchin, cuts his throat. The killing was at the behest of the future ruler of Kiev who regarded Gleb as a potential rival for the throne.
          Wouldn't the date in 1015 be according to the old Julian calendar, not the Gregorian we use today?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
            Wouldn't the date in 1015 be according to the old Julian calendar, not the Gregorian we use today?
            I tried to find that out and couldn't pin it down either way Jeff. In other words, I don't know if the sources have converted it from O.S. or not so I went with what I had. If you know, I will take note.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
              I tried to find that out and couldn't pin it down either way Jeff. In other words, I don't know if the sources have converted it from O.S. or not so I went with what I had. If you know, I will take note.
              I wouldn't actually know myself Stan, but with any date before the acceptance of the Gregorian Calendar I have doubts. Years ago there were birthday cards listing everyone famous born on a particular date, but going back to Julius Caesar. I looked at the list and pointed to the pre-16/17th Century dates, and asked the person who gave me the card, "How could they be sure?"

Jeff

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 September 13 - In England, Sidney Leeson, a 75-year-old widower, is beaten, stabbed and robbed in his home. It is believed that Mr. Leeson actually died choking to death on his dentures that had been pushed into his throat. The victim was known for helping the homeless and had apparently willingly admitted the killer into his residence. The murder remains unsolved.

Stan Reid

Comment

• This kindly old man had been saving for a day out. Maybe one of the homeless couples he periodically helped noticed that he sometimes tucked money away, and talked to a friend who paid a visit. £23 (which he planned to blow on a visit to Skegness with his son) was quite a lot of money in the 1960's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                    This kindly old man had been saving for a day out. Maybe one of the homeless couples he periodically helped noticed that he sometimes tucked money away, and talked to a friend who paid a visit. £23 (which he planned to blow on a visit to Skegness with his son) was quite a lot of money in the 1960's.

A sad story. Accounting for the devaluation of the pound and inflation, 23 pounds in 1965 would be about 335 pounds or 523 U.S. dollars today.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 September 15 - Shortly after 9 P.M., Mary Klinsky, 18, is abducted while out mailing a letter. Her nude and beaten body was found near a New Jersey park the following morning. She was the first of a group of unsolved murders that occurred in the state during this year and the next that led many to believe that an unknown serial killer was on the loose.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 September 20 - In Amsterdam, gay filmmaker Claude Berkeley, 30, is beaten to death. In the following week, his remains were found, bound up in a tarp, in a nearby canal. Hans van Zon, a serial killer, confessed to the murder but later retracted his admission and was never convicted of the crime.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 250 years ago - 1765 September 23 - Maria Jenkins is hanged in England for the murder of, what was referred to in contemporary parlance as, her bastard child. The maid had secretly given birth to the little boy then dropped him into the pit of the latrine in her employer's backyard.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 150 years ago - 1865 September 26 - In New Zealand, Mary Finnegan, a widow, and her three young sons are battered to death with a hammer as they sleep. James Stack, the killer, then buried the family in their own garden. A forth son was away in the military and was the spared. Stack was captured after a few months and executed in the following year.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1915 September 29 - Two babies are found floating in New York City's Hudson River. The two little girls were the 13th and 14th infants to be found in the waterway since the early part of this year. They had been thrown into the river to drown. This case was never solved but it was presumed that it was the result of a baby farming operation. In all the examples where baby farming crimes were solved, the singular culprit and/or ringleader was a woman.
                              Last edited by sdreid; 09-26-2015, 05:12 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1915 October 4 - In Iowa, 27-year-old Joseph Busemi is beaten and slashed to death while he is out in the evening to pay some bills. Authorities had theories ranging from a family dispute to organized crime but the case was never solved.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X