Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Jack the Ripper: The Definitive Story" airing in USA

Hello,
    I'm currently watching the documentary "Jack the Ripper: The Definitive Story" on a cable channel called Destination America. Casebook members with access to this channel might want to check their schedules in upcoming weeks, as it may well be repeated as October nears.

It has just reached the discovery of MJK's body. I like the overview of the murders, especially those of Smith and Tabram, about which I know little. It is also interesting to see what some Ripperologists look like. The quality of the computer-generated backdrops vary, but the acting is generally good.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

G'day Dunny

Be interested to hear what the guts of it is.

Or is just a general overview.

But wait till its over.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

It is mostly a factual overview, mentioning three major suspects, but not choosing one. It concludes with the Ripper's identity still a mystery.

I mistakenly thought this was the Charles Cross documentary, but Cross is only mentioned in passing. This one is dated 2011, and is very good.
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
        It is mostly a factual overview, mentioning three major suspects, but not choosing one. It concludes with the Ripper's identity still a mystery.

I mistakenly thought this was the Charles Cross documentary, but Cross is only mentioned in passing. This one is dated 2011, and is very good.
        Thanks Dunny

I'll keep an eye out. Probably arrive down under about 2065 or thereabouts.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

This doc has been available in its original format on Youtube. What appears to be new here is a change to an American narrator and some extra CGG. It may be more subtle than others, but it offers Aaron Kosminski as the primary suspect.
          Best Wishes,
          Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
            This doc has been available in its original format on Youtube. What appears to be new here is a change to an American narrator and some extra CGG. It may be more subtle than others, but it offers Aaron Kosminski as the primary suspect.
            It offers Kosminski as the most reasonable of the identified suspects, but it does conclude with a "We don't know for sure."

I watched it, and fell asleep, so I saw the beginning and the end last night, and the middle on the DVR in the morning. So I'm not the best critic. But my impression was while it does tend to favor Kosminski, it emphasizes that we have nothing in the vicinity of conclusive proof in his case.

One thing it did speculate about was that the raving lunatic Kosminski who checked into the asylum several years after the murders might not be the same state of the Kosminski of 1888. It also seemed pretty sure that he was schizophrenic.

Now, schizophrenia can regress and relapse, but it isn't a progressive disease. On the other hand, lots of things are, like early onset Alzheimer's. So there point is taken, that we can assume some crazy from Kosminski in 1888, we can't assume he behaved just like he did in reports that were made some six years (IIRC) later.

FWIW, I agree that Kosminski is the most reasonable of the contemporary suspects. I also think James Kelly is the best modern suspect. But I think the most likely person is "someone no one has named yet."

Comment

Working...
            X