No announcement yet.

The Real Mary Kelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It really is disappointing that the U.S. Release is so far behind the UK. We are talking about 8/9 months later for a same language book. Even if there is some insane legal issue for the copies of the actual book. . .a kindle edition is just data, having access to that copy would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Dane_F View Post
      It really is disappointing that the U.S. Release is so far behind the UK. We are talking about 8/9 months later for a same language book. Even if there is some insane legal issue for the copies of the actual book. . .a kindle edition is just data, having access to that copy would be awesome.
      Try being in Aus.

Either Kindle not available (and as I hate reading off Kindle that's not a biggie) or postage so high it is more than the book itself.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
        Try being in Aus.

Either Kindle not available (and as I hate reading off Kindle that's not a biggie) or postage so high it is more than the book itself.
        Haha. Yes but the trade off is you get to have pet koalas.

One of my big reasons for liking kindle books is it makes it easier to own a couple dozen books on JTR without my wife thinking I'm mental.

Comment

Thanks.

I was concerned because the U.S. Store only shows the hardcover as an option. But I'm guessing if the UK is getting a Kindle edition that the U.S. Can't be far behind. I'd also like to comment and say that Kindle edition is a great price. I still have a stack of books I'm reading but I always appreciate when a Kindle edition is a bargain.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Real-Mary-...eal+Mary+Kelly
          Browsing the dotcom page from the UK the kindle version is listed, although it looks like it has the same release date as the hardback.

Maybe try getting it via a VPN although I don't know for certain if that would work. I have no experience with them myself but I hear about people who use them from outside the US to watch content that is only on the Netflix US site.

VPN??? Let me Google that for you
          These are not clues, Fred.
          It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
          They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
          And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
          We will not.

Comment

Haha. Yes but the trade off is you get to have pet koalas.

One of my big reasons for liking kindle books is it makes it easier to own a couple dozen books on JTR without my wife thinking I'm mental.
            I don't have that problem.

Mine knows I'm mental.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

If you are a subscriber to Ripperologist magazine, you should be getting an email about a contest to win a free copy of 'The Real Mary Kelly'. This contest is international and we (Ripperologist and Rippercast) are held back only by the UK release date. I have a few copies here in the US and I'm ready to send them out this month to contest winners in the States.

Subscribe to Rip- it's FREE- by emailing your desire to subscribe to:

contact@ripperologist.biz

JM
              Last edited by jmenges; 08-04-2015, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                If you are a subscriber to Ripperologist magazine, you should be getting an email about a contest to win a free copy of 'The Real Mary Kelly'. This contest is international and we (Ripperologist and Rippercast) are held back only by the UK release date. I have a few copies here in the US and I'm ready to send them out this month to contest winners in the States.

JM
                That's certainly awesome news! Yes, I already am a subscriber. I eagerly await the email coming out. Thanks.

Comment

I've received my copy. I'm not happy about that cover - the make-up, the blood, the implication that it IS Kelly/EWD

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                    Try being in Aus.

Try here
                    Shop online for Electronics, Computers, Clothing, Shoes, Toys, Books, DVDs, Sporting Goods, Beauty & more.

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post
                      But the Real Mary Kelly's not available there, in fact just about everything there is kindle.
                      G U T

Comment

Today is the day for the contest question to be revealed. So check your emails and try to win a free copy, courtesy of Ripperologist Magazine and the Rippercast podcast.

JM

Originally posted by jmenges View Post

JM

Comment

Miss Eveline Frankland 1872 - 1915

Listed on the 1891 census return for the Maundrell/Gilder/McLeod residence at Collingham Place is an Evelyn R Frankland, aged 18 years, who is described as a pupil. The fact that she appears to be the only pupil at the house at the time may have been taken in the book 'The Real Mary Kelly' to indicate that Ellen McLeod and her sister Frederica Maundrell were operating a high class brothel at Collingham Place; the reasoning being that the 'school' at which Evelyn Frankland was apparently the only pupil was a cover for another kind of enterprise altogether.

Eveline Frankland was born on 27th September 1872 in Dover, Kent. She was the daughter of Major William Adolphus Frankland and his wife Lucy [nee Adams]. William Frankland was the son of Frederick Frankland, baronet; and Lucy Adams the daughter of Francis Adams, a Gloucestershire gentleman.
                          In 1881, the family was living at 51 Upper Brook Street, Westminster, in a house that could easily rival those at Collingham Place for grandeur.

Eveline was a young lady of the very best breeding. Her father William Frankland was by 1891 dead, but her mother Lucy was still living, by then occupying a house at no. 8 Bagshot Road, Sunninghill in Berkshire with her daughter Frances, cousin, nephew and four servants. If Eveline had resorted to prostitution, the reason is not immediately obvious. By 1901, Eveline had relocated to Newton in Makerfield, Lancashire and was living with widow Sarah Kitchen and her children.

At some point in the next 10 years, Eveline was admitted to Haydock Lodge, a private insane asylum in Newton-le-Willows, where she remained until her death on 6th April 1915. Her profession is recorded on the 1911 census for the asylum as ‘Governess’

It is in the role of governess that some of what we know about Eveline begins to makes more sense. It seems at least possible that she was living with Sarah Kitchen, a widow of independent means, in order to tutor her children; and with the Maundrells to further her education, presumably in French; knowledge of which was an essential requirement for a successful governess at the time.

At the least, there is an alternative explanation to prostitution for the presence of Eveline Frankland at the home of Ellen McLeod in 1891

Comment

Thanks Sally. I haven't read the book yet but WWD's identification of Mrs MacLeod is looking rather shaky.

Comment

I think so, Robert.

I've been thinking about this whilst reading the book. I haven't seen any evidence yet that Ellen McLeod and sister were involved in prostitution. They did live amongst the very wealthy at Collingham Place; and I'm not certain of where their money came from? They must have been able to command a considerable income. I have seen it suggested that the sisters had a property empire, but again, haven't seen the evidence for it.

With regard to Craig's reference to a Mrs McLeod; that suggests to me either that she was sufficiently elite that it would have been truly inappropriate to cite her Christian name; or alternatively, that he didn't know who she actually was, only her name.

Comment

Sally, yes, the question of where their money came from - and where it went, since not many of them left much - is a puzzle.

I think as far as Craig is concerned we have to at least allow for a Mrs McLeod alternative, since he did have that uncertainty over McBlain/McBain. And it may not even have been McBlain, but a badly-written Hohbein, the baker discovered by Debs.

Comment

Working...
                                X