Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe I misread...

Originally posted by Robert View Post
    Is the museum funded by anybody other than the owner?
    I might have scanned the article too quickly. I thought the permissions he had got to open the museum came as a result of a grant application, as it might have in the U.S.

But perhaps he was only applying for a use permit?
    Sorry if I've confused the issue-- carry on, all.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

• A Youtube Vid. You might already have see this:

LINK
      JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
      JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
      ---------------------------------------------------
      JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

• Protest

For anyone interested - there is a protest outside the museum tonight at 5.30 and another tomorrow at 6. Be interesting to see if the TV news picks it up

Comment

• Reclaim the innerds!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
            I might have scanned the article too quickly. I thought the permissions he had got to open the museum came as a result of a grant application, as it might have in the U.S.

But perhaps he was only applying for a use permit?
            Sorry if I've confused the issue-- carry on, all.

It was for planning permission--what we would call a zoning variance. Prove that it could handle the traffic, proper fire escapes, wide enough stairs etc. etc. He applied for a museum, they applied his specs to what is required for a museum, and then he opened a museum. The content of the museum shouldn't have been a factor in whether or not he was approved (but of course it would be naive to assume that's the case). They've already admitted that they have no grounds to revoke his approval, but he's probably going to be made to pay for making them look foolish.
            “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
              mthe first name that sprang to mind.

He seems determined to make a buck out of Jack.
              That's odd, because Mr Edwards was featured in the one newspaper story I read denouncing the museum as unnecessary and exploitative (without mentioning the range of JtR candies and totchkes offered in his own establishment)

Comment

• I read an summary of events earlier today that puts this in a different light, that goes something like this:

The Jack The Ripper Museum was incorporated in 2012 or so
                In 2013, they applied for the planning permission to build the museum.
                Originally it was supposed to be a museum that was both about women in the east end and the ripper. There was some sort of falling out between the two factions and the "women of the east end" faction took a hike, leaving the ripper side to either continue with the original plan or do what they had hope for to begin with. There have been a couple of changes to the board of the museum, but it has always been registered at Company House as Jack the Ripper Museum.

So the "sudden" outrage seems a little fishy and seems to be largely traceable to 2 residents of the area, one of them a film-maker and the other a friend of his. I'd like to know where all these people were when the Docklands exhibit was taking place, or when the London Museum hosted the Black Museum exhibitions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Magpie View Post
                  That's odd, because Mr Edwards was featured in the one newspaper story I read denouncing the museum as unnecessary and exploitative (without mentioning the range of JtR candies and totchkes offered in his own establishment)
                  One poster said the web site was registered to him.

But regardless my first though was "It sounds like what Edwards did, but he couldn't be brazen enough to do it over again".

Some people don't like it, but it is what I thought,.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• The website is registered to LINDA RILEY.

See details here:
                    LINK

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                    One poster said the web site was registered to him.

But regardless my first though was "It sounds like what Edwards did, but he couldn't be brazen enough to do it over again".

Some people don't like it, but it is what I thought,.
                    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
                    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
                    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

• See Post #3 of this thread.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

See Post #3 of this thread.
                        The information originally posted on JTR Forums was out of date. The domain was registered to Edwards until end of June, when ownership transferred to Linda Riley. Edwards also owns a company for a JTR museum that is currently inactive, nothing to link it to the current museum which is a separate company with separate directors and no links.

The papertrails indicate that is the full extent of Edwards involvement. No one seems to want to believe that though.

Comment

• Yes, it's good to get the correct information. Whoever is contemplating running this museum though, whether Richards or Linda Riley or someone else, it all sounds very exploitative and tacky and downright awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                            Yes, it's good to get the correct information. Whoever is contemplating running this museum though, whether Richards or Linda Riley or someone else, it all sounds very exploitative and tacky and downright awful.
                            And I stand by my suggestion that whoever is behind it has some crackpot theory to peddle.
                            G U T

Comment

And I stand by my suggestion that whoever is behind it has some crackpot theory to peddle.
                              Aren't most Ripper theories crackpot?
                              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                                Aren't most Ripper theories crackpot?
                                Point taken.
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X