Dna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dna

Has anyone ever used the DNA testing services offered by ancestry type organisations.

What sort of information do you get. How closely can they link you to other families.

EG say someone was telling me they were related to someone whose name crops up on these boards fairly regular could this testing confirm this.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

It could confirm it, however the specific test will give different results:

Autosomal (a popular commercial offering) testing is more likely to find a connection, but is much less specific in how you're connected to another person. Essentially, the more shared, "hits", you get, the closer the relationship. You then work through conventional BMDC records to find the exact connection.

Mitochondrial will show a connection on the direct female line. This is very specific, but will miss any connections from any other line.

Y-chromosome testing looks at the direct male line, so same as above but for men.

To be thorough, you'd do all three. And then test if you're related to the scarf.
    Last edited by Disco Stu; 08-04-2015, 01:22 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Stu View Post
      It could confirm it, however the specific test will give different results:

Autosomal (a popular commercial offering) testing is more likely to find a connection, but is much less specific in how you're connected to another person. Essentially, the more shared, "hits", you get, the closer the relationship. You then work through conventional BMDC records to find the exact connection.

Mitochondrial will show a connection on the direct female line. This is very specific, but will miss any connections from any other line.

Y-chromosome testing looks at the direct male line, so same as above but for men.

To be thorough, you'd do all three. And then test if you're related to the scarf.
      My problem is that I don't know any relatives of the person. However this person who's family history is pretty straight forward and leads to the right name claims they are related to a suspect, I am trying to find a confirmed link, so in effect have no connection to a "known". was thinking Autosomal but have had little experience as to how close it can get you. Mtd and Y I know a fair bit about and if I had a known would go down that path.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Ultimately, you'd need a sample that was 100% definitely related to each person to guarantee a connection. Let's say you found a sibling of one candidate, and they agreed to provide a sample, you'd still need to prove they were definitely siblings so you'd have to test the original candidate to be sure. It all depends on how sure you want to be. Common sense is usually enough; a supposed sibling will be an actual sibling most of the time, but are you trying to convince yourself or the general public?

If you don't have access to your candidate where are you going to get your sample from?

Comment

Ultimately, you'd need a sample that was 100% definitely related to each person to guarantee a connection. Let's say you found a sibling of one candidate, and they agreed to provide a sample, you'd still need to prove they were definitely siblings so you'd have to test the original candidate to be sure. It all depends on how sure you want to be. Common sense is usually enough; a supposed sibling will be an actual sibling most of the time, but are you trying to convince yourself or the general public?

If you don't have access to your candidate where are you going to get your sample from?
          Well first step is to convince myself.

Someone has contacted me and their story adds up so far.

Their claimed GG Grandfather and mine certainly had reason to know each other and in fact, their GGGF Baptised at least three of my GGGF's children. Now I know for fact that the person they claim to be descended from was related to a person to do with the Jack the Ripper case.

They say that they have a number of letters between our relatives and that is how they located me, and some that have an impact on part, at least, of the case.

Before I am willing to take things any further though I want confirmation that they are who they say they are.

I hope that makes sense without me saying too much.
          G U T

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure we'll see the book in a few years either way.

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure we'll see the book in a few years either way.
              Not from me you won't.
              G U T

Comment

DNA testing services

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                Has anyone ever used the DNA testing services offered by ancestry type organisations.

What sort of information do you get. How closely can they link you to other families.

EG say someone was telling me they were related to someone whose name crops up on these boards fairly regular could this testing confirm this.
                My brother used 23&me. We were trying to clarify the mtDNA that Oxford Ancestors had done for me in 1999. He was happy with the results, we are less French than we are West African..big surprise for the racist cousins. Their Y designations, however, appeared to be a bit old for the ubiquitous vanilla western male..the Ribi etc. is now called RU-106. If he wants to refine it, though, he will probably use Ancestry DNA. Oxford was about £200 then. 23&me was $99 for a basic kiss and tell, or spit and tell.
                From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
                "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

Working...
                X