JTR Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dane,

Please don't be offended - its the rhyme that counts, it's not meant to be descriptive.

BTW there is a very knowledgeable American poster on the boards called Colin Roberts. His ID is Septic Blue, recognizing his nationality and that he is a supporter of Chelsea (a London football team who play in a blue strip).

And consider yourself lucky that you are not a Scotsman. Scotsmen are traditionally called 'Jock' by Englishmen, and the rhyming slang for that is Sweaty Sock - better to be a Septic than a Sweaty, I'd have thought.

Gary

Comment

I must say I had wondered about Colin's Septic Blue as here it is/was a cleaning product suitable for septic tanks, you hang it in the cistern.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

A poster on another forum objected to the nickname 'Jocks' being applied to Scots as she said it was derogatory and akin to calling Irish people 'Paddies'. So we were all slapped down.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
          Isn't "yank" pretty derogatory in itself?
          I guess some Americans might think so. I've never had a problem with it since it's just short for Yankee. I mean we have an entire baseball team called the Yankees. Our USMNT World Football has the nickname of Yanks. I guess I've always just looked at Yank in the same way I would view Brit or Aussie.

To be clear, for my non US friends here, Yank is not a term basically ever heard in the USA except when talking about the Yankees (however we never shorten it to Yanks) and when we talk about our Soccer team (World Football :P) we usually say Men's National Team (sometimes I will hear them called Stars And Stripe).

There is only one exception to this. In the southern states people will sometimes call those from northern states Yanks/Yankees. But even this is very rare nowadays. Almost all of my experiences with the term have come from my British friend who calls me a yank jokingly. It's a term I think most Americans would know but just never use.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
            Dane,

Please don't be offended - its the rhyme that counts, it's not meant to be descriptive.

BTW there is a very knowledgeable American poster on the boards called Colin Roberts. His ID is Septic Blue, recognizing his nationality and that he is a supporter of Chelsea (a London football team who play in a blue strip).

And consider yourself lucky that you are not a Scotsman. Scotsmen are traditionally called 'Jock' by Englishmen, and the rhyming slang for that is Sweaty Sock - better to be a Septic than a Sweaty, I'd have thought.

Gary
            Haha. Not at all. My friends and I joke around enough that calling me a Spetic Tank would not be the worst thing I've heard. As far as which I prefer being called. . .in the U.S. A Spetic Tank is used to collect all the contents of the toilet when you flush, so I'm not sure I'd rather be that than a Sweaty Sock.

Some of the most interesting differences to me come in the use of the "B" word by Brits compared to how we use it and how "bloody" in the states is basically meaningless. There are a couple Yanks who might use the term but even then it is only used in an English Accent and a joking tone. Also. . .my British friend has a very hard time saying (and I mean no harm) "balls". While people here use it similarly to how "bloody" is used in England. It is a VERY common word to use instead of using a curse word. Yes, to us "balls" is used when you want to go lighter than a curse.

Comment

Ok do you Yanks call POMS, POMS or what do you call them.

And what do either of you call Aussies, other than the greatest of course.

I can't say what we call New Zealanders for fear of a ban. But non of you mob better call 'em that.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                Ok do you Yanks call POMS, POMS or what do you call them.

And what do either of you call Aussies, other than the greatest of course.

I can't say what we call New Zealanders for fear of a ban. But non of you mob better call 'em that.
                I had to google POM to even be able to answer this question. Suffice to say, no we don't call POMS, POMS. The closets we have to a nickname for someone from England is Brit. We do call Aussies, Aussies if we give them a nickname at all.

That's the thing about The States. I suppose we are so much a melting pot that we don't really have nicknames and usually just call people by where they're from. "He's an Australian. He's English. He's Irish. He's an Italian."

We do have some pretty bad slang for South American people, and there is some slight slang held over from the early 1900s (and earlier) that certain immigrants would be called (the biggest example being the "N" word for African Americans) but for the most part a lot of our slang for people involves where people inside of the States live. We don't have a ton of slang for foreigners.

For example I'm 50% Italian, 35% British, then I have Spain, French, Irish, Scottish, Native American, and multiple other origins all in my blood. It's kinda hard to find a slang term that I could call anyone without it applying to me too. The closets I can think of someone calling me something is my Grandfather who was 100% English would call me Italian slangs such a Dego (sp? No idea what it meant) and WOP or Wopsicle (stood for With-Out Papers because apparently a lot of Italians came to the states that way). What do you call a cold Italian? A
                WOPsicle.
                Last edited by Dane_F; 07-28-2015, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dane_F View Post
                  I had to google POM to even be able to answer this question. Suffice to say, no we don't call POMS, POMS. The closets we have to a nickname for someone from England is Brit. We do call Aussies, Aussies if we give them a nickname at all.

That's the thing about The States. I suppose we are so much a melting pot that we don't really have nicknames and usually just call people by where they're from. "He's an Australian. He's English. He's Irish. He's an Italian."

We do have some pretty bad slang for South American people, and there is some slight slang held over from the early 1900s (and earlier) that certain immigrants would be called (the biggest example being the "N" word for African Americans) but for the most part a lot of our slang for people involves where people inside of the States live. We don't have a ton of slang for foreigners.

For example I'm 50% Italian, 35% British, then I have Spain, French, Irish, Scottish, Native American, and multiple other origins all in my blood. It's kinda hard to find a slang term that I could call anyone without it applying to me too. The closets I can of someone calling me something is my Grandfather who was 100% English would call me a Italian slangs such a Dego (sp? No idea what it meant) and WOP or Wopsicle (stood for With-Out Papers because apparently a lot of Italians came to the states that way). What do you call a cold Italian? A
                  WOPsicle.
                  Aussies tend to be big on nicknames, not just for other nationalities, but also each other (hence Gut a name I've carried for nigh on 50 years now).

I am similar with a host of nationalities, primarily from what is now the UK, but also The Nethlands France and Germany.

Dego is actually Dago and was/is highly offensive to most Italians.

The N word is a funny one, as at one stage it was preferred to others.

I think the most common used for Aussies is eithe Skips or some reference to our convict heritage (even though only a fairly small percentage have such heritage).

I didn't think Americans would use POM as it probably started as an insult, and most likely either came from

POHM = Prisoner Of Her Majesty or

POM = Skin as pale as a pomegranate or

POME = Prisoner Of Mother England.

Or something similar.
                  G U T

Comment

As people may or may not know it appears this museum went in under false pretenses and originally applied for a permit under the pretense of being a "woman's museum". I wrote to Mark Palmer-Edgecumbe yesterday, the man who is listed on the permit and as the founder on the website to ask about the discrepancy in what the permit stated and what the museum is. If he writes back (I doubt it) I'll let you all know what if anything he says.
                    Last edited by Ally; 07-29-2015, 05:16 AM.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ally View Post
                      As people may or may not know it appears this museum went in under false pretenses and originally applied for a permit under the pretense of being a "woman's museum". I wrote to Mark Palmer-Edgecumbe yesterday, the man who is listed on the permit and as the founder on the website to ask about the discrepancy in what the permit stated and what the museum is. If he writes back (I doubt it) I'll let you all know what if anything he says.
                      Thanks Allly I didn't know that.

Interestinger and interestinger.
                      G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        Thanks Allly I didn't know that.

Interestinger and interestinger.
                        Hi,
                        There is an article relating to this in the London Evening Standard on line today, intresting reading an a few upset locals.
                        Sorry but don't know how to download the link.

Comment

• As a proud Yank... I do not find the term derogatory at all.... but I must say, I do still hear it used that way, usually by southerners (southern states of America)... Yanks are northern and Crackers are southern... you don't hear Cracker used much anymore.. but Yanks I still hear (I am also a diehard NY Yankees fan.. maybe why I embrace the term like I do)

POMS is not used here at all... I have heard Brits or sometimes Limeys as a derogatory term.....

Australians we call Aussies or Ozzys

New Zealanders we call Kiwis

as an Irish American I have been called, Mick, and Paddy (while in London believe it or not)

And as an Italian American ( I am about half Irish and half Italian) I have been called Mick and Paddy hahahah ( as I am 6'5 with curly reddish hair (well with lots of grey now but...) and blue eyes nobody thinks I am Italian)

Also. Thank you Ally for the info on the Museum.. once again...maybe I am in the minority here, but what i have seen of this museum on the website seems interesting to me and i for one would love to see it.

Steadmund Brand
                          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• I've never considered 'Yank' a derogatory term, though I tend to say 'Americans.'

The Americans use it of themselves, anyway :

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                                As a proud Yank... I do not find the term derogatory at all.... but I must say, I do still hear it used that way, usually by southerners (southern states of America)... Yanks are northern and Crackers are southern... you don't hear Cracker used much anymore.. but Yanks I still hear (I am also a diehard NY Yankees fan.. maybe why I embrace the term like I do)

POMS is not used here at all... I have heard Brits or sometimes Limeys as a derogatory term.....

Australians we call Aussies or Ozzys

New Zealanders we call Kiwis

as an Irish American I have been called, Mick, and Paddy (while in London believe it or not)

And as an Italian American ( I am about half Irish and half Italian) I have been called Mick and Paddy hahahah ( as I am 6'5 with curly reddish hair (well with lots of grey now but...) and blue eyes nobody thinks I am Italian)

Also. Thank you Ally for the info on the Museum.. once again...maybe I am in the minority here, but what i have seen of this museum on the website seems interesting to me and i for one would love to see it.

Steadmund Brand
                                Crackers for southerners? I've never heard that term used for them. Crackers was always a derogatory term for white people (you're as white as a cracker).

The term I've always heard for southerners was usually Rednecks and sometimes Hicks. Of course when you get to my area, Louisiana, people will usually call us Cajuns. But to us it's a source of pride.

Comment

Working...
                                X