X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
    Hi GUT,

What's a tea towel? ;-)

I hadn't heard cobblers 'stalls' before , surely it should be 'awls'.

Did you catch the youtube clips?

Chas and Dave at their ' Best'.

Gary
    Yeah I think it should be "Cobbler's awls".
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Nice one, MrBarnett. Ever since seeing those adverts, I've never been able to work out why rabbit=talk. Now a tea-towel provides the answer :-)
      Not that it provides the last word...I'm pretty sure half inch=pinch, not steal; that doesn't even rhyme.

Comment

Hi Joshua,

Of course you're right, half-inch (pronounced arf-inch) rhymes with pinch, which is slang for steal. I've never heard of Ten being rhyming slang for Big Ben, surely its the other way round.

The list is a useful primer for foreign students, although there a few classics missing, GUT's China, for example.

There are a dozen or so in the list that I regularly use without thinking.

Gary

Comment

Yes, definitely a few obvious ones missing (not through lack of space as I see Damon Hill is on there twice). But it's probably best that Berkeley Hunt didn't make it...

Comment

Trouble and strife is on there twice as well, but considering how much trouble and strife I get into with mine that may be fitting!
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

In Aus Todd Sloane would be Pat Malone. But mean the same. Often shortened to "on me pat".
              G U T

Comment

Apparently Casebook is a "Wind and Kite" (website), according to an entry at the bottom of the following URL titled "How is Cockney slang developing?"
                http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk...rhyming_slang/

I like some of those used for money. Years ago (25-30 years) I was in the East End and heard a second hand car salesman say to somebody checking out a car that he'd do it for a monkey (£500)
                http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/subjects/money
                These are not clues, Fred.
                It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                We will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                  Apparently Casebook is a "Wind and Kite" (website), according to an entry at the bottom of the following URL titled "How is Cockney slang developing?"
                  http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk...rhyming_slang/

I like some of those used for money. Years ago (25-30 years) I was in the East End and heard a second hand car salesman say to somebody checking out a car that he'd do it for a monkey (£500)
                  http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/subjects/money
                  It's a monkey because it is half a Gorilla.

In Aus we have a few

Skipies (our $1 has Kangaroos in it)
                  A lobster, the color of our $20
                  A pineapple $50 is yellow
                  An apple $100 is green
                  G U T

Comment

I've never heard of a Commodore, before....that's brilliant!

GUT, what's a gorilla? (other than two monkeys)

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                      I've never heard of a Commodore, before....that's brilliant!

GUT, what's a gorilla? (other than two monkeys)
                      A gorilla is a grand or $1,000.
                      G U T

Comment

I thought it must be, but that's another one I've never heard before.
                        I've probably never had enough money to worry about slang for that much!

Comment

Over on JTR Forums Ed Stow has posted some photos. The museum is apparently not yet open.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                            Over on JTR Forums Ed Stow has posted some photos. The museum is apparently not yet open.
                            Thanks I'll never see it. A bit too far.
                            G U T

Comment

I'm not sure how I feel about Spetic Tank being Cockney for a Yank. . .

Comment

Isn't "yank" pretty derogatory in itself?

Comment

Working...
                                X