X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

Is there another plausible explanation?

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
    A skilled operator who can work using his experience and touch.

No light required.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
      Hi Trevor

Dr Sequira was in Mitre Square that morning and he said (at the inquest):

"I am well acquainted with the locality and the position of the lamps in the square. Where the murder was committed was probably the darkest part of the square, but there was sufficient light to enable the miscreant to perpetrate the deed"
      Seems he visited the spot quite often.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
        But all of the facial mutilations do no appear to be as a result of cutting and slashing by what we have seen and read. They appear to have been carefully crafted which would I suggest would have needed some degree of light which was not present at the murder scene.

We have to ask if all of the victims were killed by the same hand why suddenly out of the blue go to great lengths to do so with Eddowes. We also have to consider the time factor, and how long the killer had with the victim with regards to him being able to do all that he is alleged to have done including the facial mutilations?

Is there another plausible explanation?

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
        Hello Trevor,

But didn't your own expert, the forensic pathologist Dr Biggs, cautiously conclude that Eddowes' killer would have had enough time to commit the murder and the mutations?

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
          Hello Trevor,

But didn't your own expert, the forensic pathologist Dr Biggs, cautiously conclude that Eddowes' killer would have had enough time to commit the murder and the mutations?
          I could have told you that.

Ranks with what Sequeira said.

Just a bit OT,however,if Jack the Ripper had premises at 6 Mitre Street,a lot of the timing is solved.

A strangled Eddowes is dragged out the fence gate between police beats.

Comment

Hello Trevor,

John

Time is immaterial if the killer did not inflict all of them.

With regards to the new pathologist he actually goes against what my original pathologist stated, and that was the killer would not have had time to do what he is alleged to have done.

I don't recall asking the pathologist to specifically comment on the facial mutilations in any event

Just goes to show that even experts will disagree

Last edited by Trevor Marriott; 05-27-2015, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
              I could have told you that.

Ranks with what Sequeira said.

Just a bit OT,however,if Jack the Ripper had premises at 6 Mitre Street,a lot of the timing is solved.

A strangled Eddowes is dragged out the fence gate between police beats.
              Hi Debs
              The statement made by Sequeria is ambiguous and lacks clarity.

Comment

Hi Harry,

To respond;

Originally posted by Harry D View Post

This does kind of prove Batman's point. The initial murders did not include any kind of facial mutilations. Therefore, if the murders of Eddowes & Kelly were copycat killers trying to disguise their crimes as Ripper murders, why would they break with precedent? You're implying it's because these victims had some previous relationship with their killers, but that still doesn't rule out a serial killer. Maybe the Ripper knew Eddowes & Kelly, or they reminded him of his mother or an ex-lover? Why the need to invent multiple killers when there was already one knife-wielding prostitute slayer at large?

I don't believe I was implying anything Harry, I just merely pointed out that in the vast majority of violent crimes involving facial mutilation there is a pre-existing connection between the victim and the perpetrator. Why would I ignore that fact when interpreting these kinds of wounds? I also said that the copycat murders, (which isn't an accurate term for what Im describing...more like setting a murder scene to implicate someone else..in this case, someone unknown)....do not seem to have the focus and repeated methodology that we see with Polly and then again with Annie within 10 days. The examination of Annie led the physician to conclude that everything that was done to her by knife was to facilitate the organ removals. Can you say that with Kate or Mary? Or Liz for that matter?

That's a kind of contradiction in terms, because it's only by studying the post-mortems that one can infer any kind of motive in the first place. Moreover, you make it sound like the Ripper murders were fairly commonplace, as if anyone could go out into the street and start butchering women and removing their viscera.

Many, many, murders are solved without having the specific nature of the physical wounds being the catalyst for the revelation. The Motive, the reason for the murders of Kate and Mary will not be found by examining those wounds, and assumptions that proclaim the assumed killer of the five Canonicals was the only man committing violent crime in a severely depressed and overcrowded neighborhood,... rife with anarchists, Irish self rule terrorists and predjudice, is ...well, its in its most polite terms, very naïve and detrimental to any legitimate attempt to solve these crimes. When we know that a number of women that exceeds the Five in the alledged Ripper series were also killed during that period, many with similar wounds, you either have to blame all of them on one person or grudgingly accept that there MUST HAVE been more than one killer, in cases, based only on the actual physical evidence. You know when an ostrich buries its head in the sand it believes its "hiding" from predators? Despite the obvious fact that the vast majority of it is still exposed to the threat. If it realized that simple fact it could choose other ways, more logical and effective ways to evade danger. Assuming that a solo serial killer explains all these murders is just like an ostrich burying its head.
                If a criminal intentionally or accidentally killed someone in London during that Fall, there would be lots of information on how to recreate a Ripper killing in the local newspapers, by virtue of the microscopic review of the physical evidence. Assume that virtually anyone can be a potential mutilator if given the proper rationale for doing so...check the papers from around the globe daily and youre likely to find cases of murderers dismembering and defacing the victims in order to evade suspicion or capture. You will also find, on occasion, people killing just because they have psychological problems. Both sets of victims could look extremely similar in terms of the damage inflicted, (however in the case of the Canonical Five there is clear differentiation in that physical evidence alone), but the Reasons, the Motives, the driving, compelling WHY that damage was done in the first place may be entirely different.

It appears that Someone killed Polly and Annie so that they could cut their abdomens open and remove organs to take with them. The venue in Bucks Row was too public, and that's why we see a change and a successful venture when the killer moved off the street the next time.

Tell me with a straight face that the evidence in the case of Liz Stride, Kate Eddowes and Mary Kelly reveal the same "Reason" within the physical evidence alone.... . Obviously an unsustainable perspective at this juncture.

Realize that...fact... there were other murderers working in that area, (there are lots of murders in the Unsolved File besides the Canonical Group)...and that anyone can cut people up or open. Why they do so is the only question that matters....not what they do.

Cheers
                Last edited by Michael W Richards; 05-27-2015, 10:25 AM.
                Michael Richards

Comment

Hello Michael,

We do not know what the killer's motivation was because he was never caught. There is not a single example, in recorded history, of two serial killers operating at the same time in such a small geographical area.

Murders involving mutilation are incredibly rare. That fact alone provides, in my opinion, to link NIcholls, Chapman, Eddowes and Kelly.

Comment

Hello Michael,

We do not know what the killer's motivation was because he was never caught. There is not a single example, in recorded history, of two serial killers operating at the same time in such a small geographical area.

Murders involving mutilation are incredibly rare. That fact alone provides, in my opinion, to link NIcholls, Chapman, Eddowes and Kelly.
                    Hi John,

Your first sentence is at the heart of the issue....we do not know why these women were killed. Therefore, a position that is based upon a serial killer is presumptuous, because mental illness would be the underlying motivation for all these murders. Not for money, not in the heat of the moment, not to avenge or to punish, not because they knew things that were dangerous to others...."not" for an infinite list of possibilities, but rather a single serial killer that we need only identify to solve the crimes? Are you telling me that this is the only logical position, and that the discrepancies with skill, knowledge, MO and activities performed among the Five is explained by that premise?

Now, If you had a serial string with Polly, Annie, Kate and Alice... I would have to say I couldn't find much fault with that as a preliminary stance. They are similar in many key respects and because of that, group able,... but the continuing myth about these Five Canonical victims being the ones most probably done by the same person... based on their similarities.....needs to be abandoned to get any further in this area of study. It leaves far too many things unanswered and flies in the face of some compelling evidence that we can still review today.

In Whitechapel in the late 1880's "Monsters" of one kind or another lurked around corners throughout the dark hours, one it would appear decided to satisfy an urge, compulsion or obsession.. and on the dirty streets themselves, gutted female human beings. And other women were killed dramatically too by other people. It was a very violent ghetto...lest we forget.

Lets not confuse the 2.

Cheers John
                    Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                      Hi John,

Your first sentence is at the heart of the issue....we do not know why these women were killed. Therefore, a position that is based upon a serial killer is presumptuous, because mental illness would be the underlying motivation for all these murders. Not for money, not in the heat of the moment, not to avenge or to punish, not because they knew things that were dangerous to others...."not" for an infinite list of possibilities, but rather a single serial killer that we need only identify to solve the crimes? Are you telling me that this is the only logical position, and that the discrepancies with skill, knowledge, MO and activities performed among the Five is explained by that premise?

Now, If you had a serial string with Polly, Annie, Kate and Alice... I would have to say I couldn't find much fault with that as a preliminary stance. They are similar in many key respects and because of that, group able,... but the continuing myth about these Five Canonical victims being the ones most probably done by the same person... based on their similarities.....needs to be abandoned to get any further in this area of study. It leaves far too many things unanswered and flies in the face of some compelling evidence that we can still review today.

In Whitechapel in the late 1880's "Monsters" of one kind or another lurked around corners throughout the dark hours, one it would appear decided to satisfy an urge, compulsion or obsession.. and on the dirty streets themselves, gutted female human beings. And other women were killed dramatically too by other people. It was a very violent ghetto...lest we forget.

Lets not confuse the 2.

Cheers John
                      Hello Michael,

Keppel et al took the view that the C5 and Tabram are linked by signature characteristics. However, I don't think we can draw any firm conclusions as to the level of skill involved in any of the murders, especially as we are reliant on somewhat vague, and incomplete, medical reports from a group of Victorian GPs. In fact, even Trevor Marriott's modern experts can't seem to agree. However, I do agree that something very odd seemed to be happening during this period: Mylett, Coles, Smith and McKenzie were also very rare murders, as was Haynes, for that matter. The Torso murderer was also active during the same period, however, his signature was very different.
                      Last edited by John G; 05-27-2015, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Did he maybe cut the areas that apealed did he mutilate areas of attraction or parts of that woman's body that aroused him?

Comment

Originally posted by PC Fitzroy-Toye View Post
                          Did he maybe cut the areas that apealed did he mutilate areas of attraction or parts of that woman's body that aroused him?
                          Aroused by an ear or eyelids?

Now there's an idea.
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                            Aroused by an ear or eyelids?

Now there's an idea.
                            Lol ho man I was thinking of the whole face but mr j was a strange one so you never know!.............

Comment

Originally posted by PC Fitzroy-Toye View Post
                              My answer to that would be that there are within the Canonical Group 2 sequential victims that do have a continuing theme and physical evidence that they were killed in very similar fashion, and therefore it is quite possible even probable, that those 2 murders... at least... were committed by the same person or persons who did in fact have some obsession with specific locations on a womans body...and specific organs inside the body.

There is no other evidence within that Canonical group that strongly suggests a probable link by killer from one victim to the next.

Unless of course you feel a crazy guy was running about killing women in a variety of ways and performing unique acts each subsequent murder. For myself the "BOOGYMAN" conclusion is reliant more on emotional response than it is on any evidence.

Cheers
                              Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                                My answer to that would be that there are within the Canonical Group 2 sequential victims that do have a continuing theme and physical evidence that they were killed in very similar fashion, and therefore it is quite possible even probable, that those 2 murders... at least... were committed by the same person or persons who did in fact have some obsession with specific locations on a womans body...and specific organs inside the body.

There is no other evidence within that Canonical group that strongly suggests a probable link by killer from one victim to the next.

Unless of course you feel a crazy guy was running about killing women in a variety of ways and performing unique acts each subsequent murder. For myself the "BOOGYMAN" conclusion is reliant more on emotional response than it is on any evidence.

Cheers
                                Please give an example were a serial killer has performed unique acts, which are consistent throughout a series. Serial killer signatures evolve or become more elaborate, for example, one killer progressed from genital mutilations to dismemberment. There is therefore nothing unusual in a series of crimes which involves certain dissimilarities, i.e. such as between Chapman and Kelley.
                                Last edited by John G; 07-09-2015, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X