No announcement yet.

The 1961 Landscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not even a test card, Rosella. After the epilogue - which was some vicar talking for a couple of minutes - they'd say that they were now closing down, so good night. Then the screen would be filled with 'snow' (a small quantity of which was due to the cosmic background radiation). About 30 seconds later the announcer's voice would come back to say "And you won't forget to switch off your sets, will you?"

In the case of the BBC, they used to close down with the national anthem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
      Not even a test card, Rosella. After the epilogue - which was some vicar talking for a couple of minutes - they'd say that they were now closing down, so good night. Then the screen would be filled with 'snow' (a small quantity of which was due to the cosmic background radiation). About 30 seconds later the announcer's voice would come back to say "And you won't forget to switch off your sets, will you?"

Many a night spent in front of that snow with my then girlfriend [now wife] "talking" so her parents would think we were still watching TV.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Who says TV ruins the art of conversation?

Comment

Who says TV ruins the art of conversation?

Well our lips were being exercised, that's like talking.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
            Many a night spent in front of that snow with my then girlfriend [now wife].
            Would that be Peter or Jon Snow ?
            "A body of men, HOLDING THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY, ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine ["Rights of Man"]

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]

Comment

Not even a test card, Rosella. After the epilogue - which was some vicar talking for a couple of minutes - they'd say that they were now closing down, so good night. Then the screen would be filled with 'snow' (a small quantity of which was due to the cosmic background radiation). About 30 seconds later the announcer's voice would come back to say "And you won't forget to switch off your sets, will you?"

My parents and I were safely tucked up in our beds long before the snow came on.

The BBC was always so patriotic. However, my husband is Australian and in the early 1960's, in Melbourne, he and his mate were told to 'stand up and show some respect' by the manager one day at the cinema when they were sitting down during the national anthem.

Cinemas in Britain used to show the Queen on horseback at the Trooping of the Colour to accompany the Anthem I seem to remember.

Comment

• I can't say I remember much about the cinemas. I do know that I don't like the anthem - a disjointed tune that sounds like it was written by a committee.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                  ...The BBC was always so patriotic...
                  What do you mean was?

It has to be, and it still is. It has a Royal charter, so we all have to put up with the brown nosing and nauseating royal stories on the news etc.

My 2d

Del (not expecting an MBE any time soon)

Comment

I do know that I don't like the anthem - a disjointed tune that sounds like it was written by a committee.
                    That makes at least 3 of us, including my imaginary pet hamster who I haven't taken for a walk for ages.

The lyrics are awful, as offensive as the nationalistic ones in 'Rule Brittania'.

What puzzles me is what the Almighty is supposed to save the queen from.
                    "A body of men, HOLDING THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY, ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine ["Rights of Man"]

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                      my husband is Australian and in the early 1960's, in Melbourne, he and his mate were told to 'stand up and show some respect' by the manager one day at the cinema when they were sitting down during the national anthem".

Saw that happen a number of times.
                      One Saturday matinee at the Broadway Cinema in Camberwell springs to mind.

"Cinemas in Britain used to show the Queen on horseback at the Trooping of the Colour to accompany the Anthem I seem to remember.
                      Same here in Oz.
                      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Instrumental recordings were popular from the early to mid 1960s and this is one of my favourites - which charted in 1961.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Good one. This one...er....not so good :

A classically trained German pianist, Horst Jankowski is most famous for his internationally successful easy listening music. Jankowski's fame as a composer ...

Comment

Good one. This one...er....not so good :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQqHCb16MNg
                            I actually really like that one Robert.

Comment

• Hi Julie

You do? I can see you're going to be a tough nut to crack.

OK then, how about this?

Percy Faith recorded the most popular version of the tune, which spent an at-the-time record of nine consecutive weeks at number one on the still-young Billb...

Comment

• Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                                Instrumental recordings were popular from the early to mid 1960s and this is one of my favourites - which charted in 1961.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM6wKMH-JRM

A powerful and memorable instrumental that "Theme from Exodus".

The charts of 1961 were full of great music. The Beatles were to make their first appearance in the charts the following year in October, the very month of the so called "Cuban Missile Crisis".

Back to the summer 0f '61 and this memorable instrumental from The Shadows was still in the top 30 at the time of the A6 murder.......

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                X