Was The Ripper A Police Official?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveShuts View Post
    It's interesting and an idea I've had before - I have a name for you below, but I don't think it's JtR....

I've often thought when pondering how JtR managed to avoid capture, and I'm sure in one of Paul Beggs books he mentions a witness who swore that she saw a policeman walk past shortly before a murder when there was no police officer supposed to be there.

Anyway, Pearse went on to become a landlord, so I doubt it's him, but in line with the idea that JtR might have killed himself after Kelly, I went and checked the records to see if any Police officer had killed himself shortly afterwards, and there was one....

PC William Crook warrant card no. 47028 who worked for the 4th division (docklands), suicide by hanging on 12th November 1888, like I say though, I don't think it's him.

I did have trouble trying to find his birth certificate, but in perhaps an odd coincidence (if you're into conspiracy theories) there was a William A Crook born in the right year who is then on record as having died in 1922 after being confined to a mental hospital in Bucks for some years....

Didn't get any further than that - don't think it's him, and don't think the guy in the asylum is the same person, just a coincidence.

PS - PC William Crook (if I have the right person in the birth records) was born in Bucks.
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info

I wonder if there is any connection to Annie Crook, perhaps not. It would be interesting to find out more about him.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveShuts View Post
      I went and checked the records to see if any Police officer had killed himself shortly afterwards, and there was one....

PC William Crook warrant card no. 47028 who worked for the 4th division (docklands), suicide by hanging on 12th November 1888, like I say though, I don't think it's him.
      DS, thanks,

Have you read up on the PC Richard Brown's suicide in Hyde Park on 16, November 1888?

Here is a link to a nice article written by Chris George on the subject. http://blog.casebook.org/chrisgeorge...richard-brown/
      Last edited by jerryd; 06-13-2015, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Hi Dr Strange,

I hadn't heard about that. What was the story with this guy?
        I believe he was a travelling salesman who recognised himself from the description, came forward and gave a good account of himself.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

The month of October 1888 saw unprecedented levels of police numbers around Whitechapel , doubling up in numbers and bringing them in from other forces .....the result of this ? = No murders !!!!

This may well have been because the killer was afraid of being caught ......but it may also be argued that it was because the killer was being accompanied by a colleague .....

I've always thought October 1888 to be the most interesting of the whole case

Comment

Sorry Natasha

Just saw an earlier post where you mentioned PC Brown.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
              The month of October 1888 saw unprecedented levels of police numbers around Whitechapel , doubling up in numbers and bringing them in from other forces .....the result of this ? = No murders !!!!

This may well have been because the killer was afraid of being caught ......but it may also be argued that it was because the killer was being accompanied by a colleague .....

Jason,

Also interesting is when the force was pared down in 1889, Alice McKenzie was murdered. This caused speculation that somebody had inside information with the police force.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                I believe he was a travelling salesman who recognised himself from the description, came forward and gave a good account of himself.
                Thanks Bridewell

Originally posted by Jason View Post

Hi Jason,

Good point about the colleagues being accompanied

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
                Sorry Natasha

Just saw an earlier post where you mentioned PC Brown.
                Hi Jerry,

No problem

Comment

Anyway, Pearse went on to become a landlord, so I doubt it's him,
                  Harold Shipman was a doctor.........
                  I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Western Gazette - Friday 23 November 1888

Another Suicide in Hyde Park - A man since recgnised as Louis S Tauer of Kings Cross Road shot himself in the mouth with a revolver in Hyde Park on Friday afternoon. He was taken to st Georges Hospital but died soon after admission.

The Friday before this article was Friday the 16th. Did two people commit suicide with a gun in Hyde Park on this day?

Pat...........................

Comment

PC Brown's Uncle

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      Another Suicide in Hyde Park - A man since recgnised as Louis S Tauer of Kings Cross Road shot himself in the mouth with a revolver in Hyde Park on Friday afternoon. He was taken to st Georges Hospital but died soon after admission.

The Friday before this article was Friday the 16th. Did two people commit suicide with a gun in Hyde Park on this day?

Pat...........................
                      I believe so, Pat. In fact I believe the man you speak of here is actually Louis Sidney Torre, PC Brown's uncle. In my mind I have always thought this to be a murder suicide. Notice the two men shared the same initials, Louis S.Tauer (Louis Sidney Torre) AND both lived in Percy Square. Tauer might be a mis-spelling by the press for Taure, pronounced like Torre.

Comment

The following article appears to clarify my incorrect conclusions, though.

Evening News
                        London, U.K.
                        17 November 1888

SUICIDE IN HYDE PARK.
                        A man, since recognised as Louis S. Tauer, of Percy-square, King's-cross-road, shot himself in the mouth with a revolver in Hyde Park, yesterday afternoon. He was taken to St. George's Hospital still living, but died soon after admission. Plus, Torre spoke to the coroner about his nephew after the suicide which pretty much rules out his death. lol (duh)

IDENTIFICATION
                        The man who committed suicide in Hyde Park yesterday by shooting himself in the mouth with a revolver has now been fully identified as Richard Brown, a constable of the E division, belonging to Hunter-street Police-station.

I had it in my mind that PC Brown died immediately in Hyde Park from the gunshot wound. The man, Tauer, died after admission to the hospital, so it seemed like two separate individuals. This clipping leads me to believe the man was initially thought to be Tauer but was later identified as PC Richard Brown.
                        Last edited by jerryd; 06-13-2015, 09:41 PM. Reason: added last line

Comment

Add the fact that Torre spoke to the coroner regarding his nephew's death and that pretty much makes me look stupid. Late night posts are not smart. Night!

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
                            Add the fact that Torre spoke to the coroner regarding his nephew's death and that pretty much makes me look stupid. Late night posts are not smart. Night!
                            Happens to all of us at one time or another.

You post something and later look at it and say "What was I thinking".

I often read a tyopescript of a case and think "Did I really say that?"

Simply sometimes the mouth, or posting fingers, get ahead of the brain.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                              Harold Shipman was a doctor.........
                              I meant by virtue of the fact that he was still alive rather than having died - that's assuming JtR stopped because he died of course.

Comment

Brown committed suicide after being dismissed from the force for missing duty. This may or may not have been the night Kelly was murdered. Torre was his 2nd uncle and what reason would he have had to shoot himself shortly after his nephew's suicide...shortly meaning a few weeks. What could he have uncovered that would make him want to do himself in, and was it related to his nephew's events the night he missed duty? Why was Briwn dismissed for one incident? Is it because of Kelly's death on a night he (perhaps) would have been posted in the vicinity? Was there a lesson being taught here? Was there more to it?

Mike
                                huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X