No announcement yet.

Image Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many thanks, Ken. Whilst I can take no credit for finding these images, I certainly share your sentiments regarding the children. The sad reality, however, is that such deprivation continued for decades. Jon Pearson's The Profession of Violence, a sublime book that charts the rise and fall of the Kray twins, confirms that the socioeconomic situation was every bit as bad in the Thirties and Forties and only improved as a consequence of the 'clearance programme' undertaken by the Luftwaffe. Worse still, virtually every town and city in the UK had its own Spitalfields, hence the rise of the Trades Union movement and the Labour Party - though given that this culminated in the emergence of Tony Blair, it might have been better for all concerned had we stuck with the Luftwaffe.

Comment

• Here are three more of Horace Warner's thirty or so surviving Spitalfields photographs ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	warner24.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	662600

Name:	warner23.jpg
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	662601

Name:	warner22.jpg
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	662602

Comment

• I'd almost forgotten about this thread. Here's a couple of images I saw floating about the internet recently which I believe were captured by Jack London ...

Name:	Abyss1.jpg
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	666069

Name:	Abyss2.jpg
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	666070

Comment

• Just discovered this thread today, and really enjoyed all of the photographs. Wonderful work on cleaning up these old images so we can see details more easily.
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

• Thanks, Pat. Most kind.

Comment

• Here's two more of the same ...

Name:	Abyss3.jpg
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	666073

Name:	Abyss4.jpg
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	666074

Comment

• And another two ...

Name:	Abyss5.jpg
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	666076

Name:	Abyss6.jpg
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	666077

Comment

• Viewing these photos makes me appreciate the fact I was born in 1967 and not in 1867.
                  Last edited by pinkmoon; 05-30-2015, 08:01 AM.
                  Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• Things were still pretty grim in certain parts of East London in 1967 and beyond, PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post
                      Things were still pretty grim in certain parts of East London in 1967 and beyond, PM.
                      I will concede that the east end in 1967 was a long way away from being the best place to live but compared to 1888 it must have been paradise .My dad and his two sisters were evacuated to the country side because of the blitz my father has always reckoned that saved his and my aunties lives not because of the bombs and v1s and v2s but the improved living conditions simple things like fresh air meant the dreaded t.b. was kept at bay his grandparents actually lived in Whitechapel when they were kids at the time of the ripper murders hence my life long interest and of course the story told from my ancestors that the ripper was a doctor who drowned himself after the murder of the women in the room means my favourite suspect is........we all moan about how we live sometimes but how would we have fared living in 1888 I'm just glad I was born when I was.
                      Last edited by pinkmoon; 06-01-2015, 01:36 PM.
                      Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• I've heard many such anecdotes over the years, PM, and fascinating they are too.

Comment

• Not an image enhancement but a merge that I thought I put here:

JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
                          JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website
                          ---------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Stunning

What stunning work you have achieved. Actually, that's too poor an adjective. You've made it live for me in all its sadness, hardness, but occasional spots of joy. Still the woman and baby, and girl holding baby, barefoot. Speechless.

I cannot thank you enough.
                            From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
                            "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosemary View Post
                              What stunning work you have achieved. Actually, that's too poor an adjective. You've made it live for me in all its sadness, hardness, but occasional spots of joy. Still the woman and baby, and girl holding baby, barefoot. Speechless.

I cannot thank you enough.
                              Any of richard's photography or video work is well worth checking out.
                              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Confused, easily because I from Down Deep South

Difference between Richard & Garry??
                                From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
                                "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

Working...
                                X