No announcement yet.

Australian newspaper archives online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good stuff Robert! Look forward to the new thread.

Comment

Hi Debs and AP

I'll start a thread in a minute.

Comment

Take a look at what http://www.nambour-chronicle.com is doing. It's an archive of the Nambour Chronicle & North Coast Advertiser first published in 1903.

Comment

Hi all,

From The West Australian News, 2 Oct 1888 in the foreign telegrams section (spelling mistakes and all)

THE MYSTERIOUS MURDERS IN
          ? ENGLAND.
          TWO MORE VICTIMS.
          London, Sept. 30, 6.30 p.m.
          At 2.20 p.m. to-day, a woman, ap-

parently abont thirty-five years of age,

was discovered murdered at the junction

of Leadenhall and ¦- Feuchurch- streets.
          Her body was completely disembowelled
          and the nose severed from the face.

About an hour earlier another woman

was found with her throat cut from> ear

to .'ear, in the backyard pf a honse in
          Berner streets
          '?"¦¦'-'? 03.0 p,m;
          There is .intense excitement in . the
          city concerning the fearful murders re-

ported to-day. v The horrors of the Ald-

gate innrder totally eclipse the details

of those which took place in Whitechapel.

As yet no arrests have been made. It

is doubted if the Berner street murder

belongs to the same class as the others

Nicole
          ---------------------------------------------------
          "We serial killers are your sons, we are your husbands, we are everywhere. And there will be more of your children dead tomorrow."
          - Ted Bundy

Comment

Nicole and Realdeal

Thanks for that stuff. I could be wrong here, but I think that right from the start the British press assumed the two murders were by the same hand, so it's interesting to see doubt expressed.

This is from the Chronicle Oct 24th 1924, about the retirement of Det-Insp Scholes. Two murders in the same street is a new one on me.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by evilina View Post

Galveston Daily News
              Texas, USA
              6 December 1897

CONFESSED JACK THE RIPPER
              TALE OF A SEA COOK WHO SAYS THE CONFESSOR WAS A CRAZY SAILOR

"I reached Whitechapel district late one night and met up with a woman, who joined me and we went into a dark alley. There I killed her. The body was mutilated and left to lie in the cold. I escaped. No officer seemed to get on my track, and the idea came to me that it would nice to kill a few others.

So lacking in detail that it could almost have been quoted from the Maybrick Diary.

Comment

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

So lacking in detail that it could almost have been quoted from the Maybrick Diary.
                Now now PI, if you're going to denigrate the "incontrovertible" thread and it's purpose, I suggest you head over there and have it out with Ike. I guarantee if nothing else, he'll give you a run for your money.

A more literal translation, "now now PI, if you're going to denigrate the Maybrick Diary and it's quality as source material, I suggest you contribute to the "incontrovertible" thread, where Iconoclast will debate any point you care to make, you may not be swayed by his answers but he'll openly debate any point you make. Ike doesn't venture far on these boards, so you'll have to take the discussion to him.
                Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

Now now PI, if you're going to denigrate the "incontrovertible" thread and it's purpose, I suggest you head over there and have it out with Ike. I guarantee if nothing else, he'll give you a run for your money.

A more literal translation, "now now PI, if you're going to denigrate the Maybrick Diary and it's quality as source material, I suggest you contribute to the "incontrovertible" thread, where Iconoclast will debate any point you care to make, you may not be swayved by his answers but he'll openly debate any point you make. Ike doesn't venture far on these boards, so you'll have to take the discussion to him.

I think I would rather not.

I had some exchanges with him on Who were they?

​He was unable to substantiate his claim that the term 'one-off' was already in use in 1888.

He also suggested that the murderer originally put Kelly's breasts on the table, then moved them, and then forgot he had moved them​ - in order to explain why the diary repeats the mistaken newspaper report that the breasts were found on the table.

But to return to my comparison of the Galveston story to the Maybrick Diary, the narrator in both cases makes no mention of any route taken, any street name, the time, the date, the conversation he had with his victim, any interruption, nor anything that might be termed inside information.

In the Galveston story, assuming it is the Nichols murder, why is there no mention of Lechmere's approach and the murderer's disappointment at not being able to finish the job?

If it is Tabram's murder, does his description of it seem apt when he had stabbed his victim 39 times?

Comment

Working...
                  X