the Goulston St Graffiti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post

Since the graffiti contains a double negative it can also be interpreted as saying the Jews are sick and tired of being blamed for everything that happens. Again, we can all say what we think it means but only the author really knows
    Since the "double negative" is written out, it seems much more likely that the intended meaning is, "the Jews will be blamed for something..."

rather than an unintentional double negative as one would say in every day speech, such as, "I didn't do nothing" --intended meaning, "I didn't do anything."

The implication being that having to write something out would negate the tendency to unintentionally invoke a double negative as one would spontaneously do verbally or in every day speech.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
      Since the "double negative" is written out, it seems much more likely that the intended meaning is, "the Jews will be blamed for something..."

rather than an unintentional double negative as one would say in every day speech, such as, "I didn't do nothing" --intended meaning, "I didn't do anything."

The implication being that having to write something out would negate the tendency to unintentionally invoke a double negative as one would spontaneously do verbally or in every day speech.
      For a literate person perhaps, but for one who wrote as they spoke?
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• The 'Old Jewery' and the investigators where not confused over its meaning at any point from when it was found to later life writings. Its just double cockney as pointed out by Martin Fido. If there is evidence they where confused over it, would like to see that.
        Last edited by Batman; 03-30-2015, 11:07 PM.
        Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

• Originally posted by Batman View Post
          The 'Old Jewery' and the investigators where not confused over its meaning at any point from when it was found to later life writings. Its just double cockney as pointed out by Martin Fido. If there is evidence they where confused over it, would like to see that.
          Indeed, Dew stated it had nothing to do with the crimes.

Monty
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
            Indeed, Dew stated it had nothing to do with the crimes.

Monty
            In 1938.... 50 years later.

Comment

• The 'Old Jewery' and the investigators where not confused over its meaning at any point from when it was found to later life writings.
              You mean a later life writing?

Monty
              Monty

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                You mean a later life writing?

Monty
                Yes, it is one of odd ones. I was talking about the better known memoirs at the end of the 1800s, start of 1900s, to show they hadn't changed position.

The value of a 50 year old memoir, is what it is, 50 years of recollections.

Comment

• We do not know when Dew wrote his recollection, just when it was published.

The fact we have contradiction does, indeed, show a degree of confusion.

Monty
                  Monty

Comment

• Is there any record of him making this statement at the time or close to it?

I think the investigation clearly indicates no confusion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Batman View Post
                      Is there any record of him making this statement at the time or close to it?

I think the investigation clearly indicates no confusion.
                      No, nor is there any record it wasn't made close to it, however he did join H Division a month after the event.

Warrens actions in seeking advice from the Jewish community also shows there was a degree of confusion, so not clear cut, but the majority ran with an anti semetic message, yes.

Monty
                      Monty

Comment

• Hi All,

Forgive me if someone else has mentioned this before, but why is there discrepancies between Halse and Long's versions of the GSG?

D.C. Halse´s Version - "The Juwes are not the men That Will be Blamed for nothing"

P.C. Long´s Version - "The Juwes are the men That Will not be Blamed for nothing"

I would like to think that if the GSG was important enough to note as evidence in the first place, then it would be copied exactly as it was written. I suppose you could argue that the writing was perhaps sort of indecipherable. I think Long's version sounds more accusatory, while Halse's version sounds more like the jews will be blamed though they didn't do it.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but the placing of the 'not' is very important, as it IMO changes the message somewhat.

Which version was actually written on the wall?

Comment

• Originally posted by Natasha View Post
                          Which version was actually written on the wall?
                          The short answer is "Who knows", personally I lean towards Halse's version as I think did at least one senior officer, I think [off the top of my head Warren].
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                            The short answer is "Who knows", personally I lean towards Halse's version as I think did at least one senior officer, I think [off the top of my head Warren].
                            I do think the placing of not in the GSG does change the meaning somewhat. Why didn't Halse and Long compare all their notes to make sure the GSG was copied word for word. Long had no problem changing his spelling of jews, so why not the rest? Unless Long's version was actually the version that was written.
                            Last edited by Natasha; 04-01-2015, 12:45 AM.

Comment

• Sorry it was Anderson who said that it was:

The Jewes are not the men to be blamed for nothing.

But considering there are at least five different versions and in the inquest Jews is spelt off the top of my head 3 or 4 different ways, well it is anyone's guess what was actually on the wall.
                              G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                                Sorry it was Anderson who said that it was:

The Jewes are not the men to be blamed for nothing.

But considering there are at least five different versions and in the inquest Jews is spelt off the top of my head 3 or 4 different ways, well it is anyone's guess what was actually on the wall.
                                Sorry for driving you mad with the nit picking. It is a lil strange that they wrote two different things, it's like they didn't even write it while standing in front of it, more like they wrote it from memory.

Comment

Working...
                                X