Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is "Mr. Blotchy" the best suspect we have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is "Mr. Blotchy" the best suspect we have?

Based on the eyewitness testimony?

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    Based on the eyewitness testimony?
    If we went with inquest findings, Cox gives the best eyewitness testimony. Blotchy. Blotchy was never found and overlooked due to Hutchinson's suspect and time of death but there is no reason why he couldn't have done it. He was there. No one saw him leave.

Second is Lawende. It is likely Lawende withheld details from the inquest at the request of Mr. Carpenter, the police lawyer. So he must have had something important.

Outside of inquest testimony you have Schwartz and Hutchinson. Schwartz was never doubted by the investigation and there is a police report Swanson mentions to say no doubt has been cast on his story. Why he didn't attend has some answers, none entirely satisfactory, but will do. They believed him.

Schwartz gives a good description of the suspect, like Lawende. Hutchinson, well there is nothing to suggest his longevity as a witness lasted more than a few weeks. Which says a lot.

Blotchy. Never found. Never sold his story to the press. Not a thing after except for the Galloway sighting where a policeman suggested his was a person cooperating with the police (not a policeman due to what the policeman said). I suspect this person was part of the Whitechapel Vig. Commitee.
    Last edited by Batman; 03-29-2015, 11:18 AM.
    Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

My main difficulty with this suspect is that he had such a distinctive complexion, which would surely have stood out. And yet no other witness refers to a similar looking suspect.
      Last edited by John G; 03-29-2015, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Mr blotchy could well have been married(poor sod) so if that's the case is he going to come forward I don't think so.
        Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Blotchy is certainly a suspect, but can't be said to be the "best", if we give consideration to the previous suspect descriptions.

There is nothing about the description provided by Cox, that resembles a sailor. Neither does it resemble the Mitre Sq. suspect, nor the man described by Schwartz, or Mrs Long for that matter.

The first concern with Cox's testimony is, that it was contradicted as to time, to some degree by that of Mrs Prater.
          The second concern is that inquiries in local pubs & beer houses could not turn up anyone who saw a man resembling Blotchy prior to the time Cox said she saw him.
          Two indicators that the time given by Cox may have been inaccurate, for what ever reason. Which then calls his viability as the killer into question.

And, Pinkmoon is right (I think we can all appreciate that), a married man is not going to come forward even if innocent.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
            Blotchy is certainly a suspect, but can't be said to be the "best", if we give consideration to the previous suspect descriptions.

There is nothing about the description provided by Cox, that resembles a sailor. Neither does it resemble the Mitre Sq. suspect, nor the man described by Schwartz, or Mrs Long for that matter.

The first concern with Cox's testimony is, that it was contradicted as to time, to some degree by that of Mrs Prater.
            The second concern is that inquiries in local pubs & beer houses could not turn up anyone who saw a man resembling Blotchy prior to the time Cox said she saw him.
            Two indicators that the time given by Cox may have been inaccurate, for what ever reason. Which then calls his viability as the killer into question.

And, Pinkmoon is right (I think we can all appreciate that), a married man is not going to come forward even if innocent.
            I have always thought that anybody out and about in the area at the time of the murders would be very reluctant to come forward it is quite possible that someone saw something and never contacted the police.
            Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Indeed, and that problem is just as present today as it ever was. Police often have to seek out witnesses, even close neighbours, who are well aware a crime has been committed, but are reluctant to get involved.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                Indeed, and that problem is just as present today as it ever was. Police often have to seek out witnesses, even close neighbours, who are well aware a crime has been committed, but are reluctant to get involved.
                It certainly explains our killers superhuman powers which enabled him to avoid detection.

Comment

Mrs. Fiddymont saw a redhead. Lawende saw a "fair haired" man. Either of these could have been blotchy.

Comment

Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post
                    Mrs. Fiddymont saw a redhead. Lawende saw a "fair haired" man. Either of these could have been blotchy.
                    Correct. As was Ada Wilson's attacker. Red face. Similar description.

Hair colour would be a lesser understood factor given hats and no street lights except for Miller's Court. Cox got the best look.

[Coroner] The chin was shaven ? - Yes. A lamp faced the door.

Marshall with the Stride murder described a stout man. So did Brown.

What makes someone look like a sailor is their dress, not their physical shape, but maybe sunburn, which Blotchy may have.

Comment

These people had fleeting glimpses in poor light how can we take any of the descriptions seriously.Today at work I spent over an hour dealing with a customer I was sat with him for just under an hour I couldn't possibly describe him now a few hours on.

Comment

Cox had a light.

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post

What makes someone look like a sailor is their dress...
                          Exactly, but when was a sailor identified by a billycock hat & longish dark coat?

Especially when some put absolute faith in a peaked cap & short jacket?
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                            These people had fleeting glimpses in poor light how can we take any of the descriptions seriously.Today at work I spent over an hour dealing with a customer I was sat with him for just under an hour I couldn't possibly describe him now a few hours on.
                            Probably because there was no importance attached to him. I mean he isn't thought to have gone on to murder someone I suppose?

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

John Arnold

I posted this over at jtrforums earlier. I'm referring to John Arnold that reported the Pinchin Torso 2 days before the body was discovered. aka John Cleary,John Leary, John Kemp, Denis Lynch

John Arnold fits the description of Mary Ann Cox's 'Blotchy' to a tee. Granted this description of Arnold was several months after the murder of Mary Kelly.

Mary Ann Cox stated: I live at No. 5 Room, Miller's-court. It is the last house on the left-hand side of the court. I am a widow, and get my living on the streets. I have known the deceased for eight or nine months as the occupant of No. 13 Room. She was called Mary Jane. I last saw her alive on Thursday night, at a quarter to twelve, very much intoxicated. [Coroner] Where was this ? - In Dorset-street. She went up the court, a few steps in front of me.

[Coroner] Was anybody with her ? - A short, stout man, shabbily dressed. He had on a longish coat, very shabby, and carried a pot of ale in his hand.

[Coroner] What was the colour of the coat ? - A dark coat.

[Coroner] What hat had he ? - A round hard billycock.

[Coroner] Long or short hair ? - I did not notice. He had a blotchy face, and full carrotty moustache.

John Arnold:

Build: 5'4", Medium build
                              Dress: Dark Coat and Waistcoat; dark velveteen soiled trousers; dirty white handkerchief; round, black, stiff felt hat (shabbily dressed)
                              Complexion: light; small fair moustache; blue eyes; inflamed spot on left cheek from a boil he was healing from.

He walked with a shuffle and spoke in the usual fashion of the developing citizens of Whitechapel, whom, in all respects, he resembled.

Arnold was also known to the police and had a reputation for drinking and gambling. This could explain the pot of ale.
                              Last edited by jerryd; 03-29-2015, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X