Slowly whittled away..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slowly whittled away..........

After weeks of planning I finally visited Whitechapel only to discover that Durwood Street is a building site... I fear that Nichols's murder location will be harder to locate in the future. Mitre Square isn't a square anymore... but you can still see where Eddowes met her end, but only just. I knew all the other locations are long gone. But I did find Swallow Gardens , you can't actually get to it mind (like a little time capsule in there I imagine). I think I'm right in saying that Mitre Square will be only place still in existence that you can actually stand on... Interestingly there's no plaque or anything. Thought they'd have marked it somehow for the tourists.......?

It seems that someone wants to destroy all trace of JTR/ sites, it's curious that the last sites are all being worked on, The whites row car park is closed and that whole area will soon be ripped down, I'd imagine more offices are needed!

I would imagine at some point, even the cobbles in Mitre sq will be taken up as some city oik will object to them near the beautiful new steel and glass structure going up there. Is this Boris' dream I wonder? If so he should be jailed for ruining the East End and the history of the area - shameful.

Comment

Robin, will you put "Batman" in his place? He's all over the boards with his nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
        Robin, will you put "Batman" in his place? He's all over the boards with his nonsense.
        Most of the time just try and ignore him.

The nonsense being spouted here is getting worse.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

If the idea of losing the last of Victorian Norton Folgate gets you down, have a butchers at this:

Comment

I had a wander around before a football match against QPR several years ago..armed with a map i copied off here lol
            I would honestly suggest you do the tour with one of the guides..I was a bit out of my depth...
            Its still an eerie feeling wandering the East End though...especially with a Wednesday scarf on

Comment

Ok. I have to ask. What is a "Wednesday scarf?"

c.d.

Comment

Its a football scarf...not a scarf you wear on a "Wednesday"

Its also a sign of a fall from grace that pains me that you have to ask lol

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                  Ok. I have to ask. What is a "Wednesday scarf?"

c.d.
                  As in Sheffield Wednesday, a so-called "football team".

Comment

Must be a pleasant change for Whitechapel to see some Owls around. Makes a difference from all the Blades.

Hello? Hello? *taps mic* Is this thing on?

Comment

I suppose it's difficult to have plaques when Whites Row and Durward St are out of bounds and Henriques Street has a school.

I did spot a spray on 'Elizabeth Stride Street' graffito on Henriques St today, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                        Ok. I get it now. Thanks, Harry.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                          So-called by whom

Never heard such tom foolery SW a Football team, what next.
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Alas it seems the witty art of football banter disappears apace with our "whittled" buildings

Comment

Originally posted by andy1867 View Post
                              Alas it seems the witty art of football banter disappears apace with our "whittled" buildings
                              One of my close friends was a Wednesday man and he was the first to tell me that SW weren't really a football team.

But of course here in Aus soccer ain't really football anyway.
                              G U T

Comment

Working...
                              X