No announcement yet.

Why do we do this to ourselves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry Harry, Pc Dunn has provided a link earlier in this thread.

I used search terms Jack the Ripper and it's on the first page.

All the best.

Comment

You're welcome, Martin.
      Harry, The link is www.nines.org
      Nineteenth Century Networking for Scholars.
      I had done a quick search with JTR and got 114 hits, though not all to the case itself. Interesting how many journal articles on Jekyll and Hyde also mention Jack.
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
        Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is a little bit more likely, and it's like human mad cow. And there are a couple of other prion diseases that can be transmitted through eating infected flesh. Of course, the physical symptoms are a real problem, just like with Kuru. The uncontrollable shaking makes for a lousy serial killer.

On the other hand, there's nothing to say he didn't get the clap from eating infected tissue, so there's a gross angle for you.
        Nice, just as I sat down for a bit of lunch

Steadmund Brand
        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Hi all

This one might have you spluttering in your coffee SB.

Welsh Newspapers online, SUICIDE OF AN ARTIST'S MODEL. 15th October 1887.

The suicide(?) of Bessie Smith 24, who almost managed to sever her own head according to Dr Downes divisional surgeon.

Plus the interestingly named Ernest W. Marshall, a clerk, who provided money from time to time.

All the best.

Comment

For what it's worth, the only crumb of comfort we can take from all this is that his name is there somewhere. Hidden amongst all the records from this time, he'll be there even if we don't have enough evidence to entice him out. I have a feeling the Ripper wasn't some mad doctor, medical student or tortured artist. He was just a guy. Some nobody who had a criminal record for minor offences. I would imagine for thievery and petty assaults on women.

Comment

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post

Welsh Newspapers online, SUICIDE OF AN ARTIST'S MODEL. 15th October 1887.

The suicide(?) of Bessie Smith 24, who almost managed to sever her own head according to Dr Downes divisional surgeon.

Plus the interestingly named Ernest W. Marshall, a clerk, who provided money from time to time.
              martin, this is interesting, thanks

Comment

Hi Ausgirl

I'll see what else I can find, the article isn't very long so there may well be a more detailed report of the medical findings elsewhere to support Dr Downe's opinion.
                My initial reaction was what??
                That's the second time I've come across a Marshall, there is a William Marshall 18 convicted for robbery with violence in 1884 (Old Bailey Online) the same age as the witness William Marshall's son, also called William.
                The redoubtable Sgt Thick arrested him at a common lodging house in Flower and Dean street. of course. Where else?
                All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Ausgirl View Post
                  Sometimes I hope Jack is never discovered, for fear places like this might fizzle and much of value to me would be lost...
                  I'll agree with that.

Some people like to search for stuff and NOT find what they're looking for.

They're actually disappointed when they do find it. I think they make the best searchers and/or researchers.

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                    Nice, just as I sat down for a bit of lunch

Steadmund Brand
                    You can eat while reading about about severing a woman's colon and spraying the contents on the killer, but getting the clap from an infected kidney is too much?

This is the downside of this obsession. Our "normal" gets yanked pretty far off course.

I know I'm not the only who occasionally hears about a pretty vanilla serial killer and thinks to themselves "Eh. I've heard worse. It's like he's not even trying."
                    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                      Hello, Martin.

Typed it into Google but computer says no.
                      It's Harriet, rather than Hannah.
                      These are not clues, Fred.
                      It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                      They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                      And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                      We will not.

Comment

Hi Harry D,

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                        For what it's worth, the only crumb of comfort we can take from all this is that his name is there somewhere. Hidden amongst all the records from this time, he'll be there even if we don't have enough evidence to entice him out.
                        You've presented what I consider to be the most alluring aspect of this case:
                        His name is in the records, and I highly suspect he will be listed in the records pertaining to the Whitechapel district. Whether it be census; workhouse; infirmary/hospital; pension; rental; civil/criminal courts; or even witness records, his name is there somewhere in at least one or more of these archives.

I have a feeling the Ripper wasn't some mad doctor, medical student or tortured artist. He was just a guy. Some nobody who had a criminal record for minor offences. I would imagine for thievery and petty assaults on women.
                        Agreed, and even if his background had no arrests or criminal convictions, I tend to think he was known to the local police officers, if only by casual acquaintance. They knew who he was by name, but not necessarily what he was in a criminal sense.
                        The "Mr. Nobody" theory has always been my favorite culprit too, and I also tend to think the only time he ever felt that he was "Somebody" was after he began killing.

Best Regards,
                        MacGuffin
                        Regards,
                        MacGuffin
                        --------------------
                        "If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" - Albert Einstein

Comment

The "Mr. Nobody" theory has always been my favorite culprit too, and I also tend to think the only time he ever felt that he was "Somebody" was after he began killing.

Highly possible.
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post

I know I'm not the only who occasionally hears about a pretty vanilla serial killer and thinks to themselves "Eh. I've heard worse. It's like he's not even trying."
                            Bahaha, true that.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGuffin View Post
                              Agreed, and even if his background had no arrests or criminal convictions, I tend to think he was known to the local police officers, if only by casual acquaintance. They knew who he was by name, but not necessarily what he was in a criminal sense.

Best Regards,
                              MacGuffin
                              I'm with you on this. The vast majority of serial killers fit this bill, precisely.

And the few who don't (who were, say, apparent pillars of the community, police officers, etc, no accident many seek to be cops, jobs with authority, 'somebody') were known to police and quite a few citizens as well, for being 'odd' in some regard, creepy, violent or otherwise.

It's shocking, really, how many people who knew these men were surprised at what they were capable of. "He seemed like a nice young man.. a bit odd but not like THAT..." etc
                              Last edited by Ausgirl; 02-01-2015, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Peter Sutcliffe, a 'mr nobody' in his local community had a self-aggrandising note that was found in the cab of his truck, didn't he?

'IN THIS TRUCK IS A MAN WHOSE LATENT GENIUS IF UNLEASHED WOULD ROCK THE NATION, WHOSE DYNAMIC ENERGY WOULD OVERPOWER THOSE AROUND HIM: BETTER LET HIM SLEEP.

It must be incredibly frustrating to be a serial killer and not be able to tell others how very clever you are!

Comment

Working...
                                X