No announcement yet.

Vote the Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I must be one of the few who believe in the 'diary' 100% all day long, or at least one of the even fewer that dare stand up and admit to it on this site, considering the amount of anticipated tirades faced in reply ;-)

The 'diary' was on poor footing from the start with it's dubious introduction, but putting this to one side my thoughts are, that the diary originated from Battlecrease House, making it's way to Ann Graham's family from her fathers step mother via a servant at Battlecrease.
    When Maybrick say's in the 'diary' he will "place this where it will be found", there is only one place it could logically have been put. Maybrick couldn't risk it being found whilst bedridden and so must have kept it with him, if he lived it was safe, if he died it didn't matter.
    The 'diary' was probably placed under the mattress. Had a family member found it, then it would have been destroyed. In all likelihood it would have been found by the lowliest servant of the house charged with changing the bed linen after Maybrick's death.

Regards
    ‘There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact’ Sherlock Holmes

Comment

• The diary should like the recent shawl business not have been given so much attention untill it could have been proved where it originated from
      Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• Then, of course, the Diary would never have gotten any attention. The same goes for the watch.

The lack of proven origin hurts every theory.

Of course if it was real and was kept by a family, that was either ignorant of what it actually contained, and maybe forgot about it, or was ashamed of the implications for the family, its origins, journeys, and connection to the family would remain a mystery.

Wouldn't the direct trail, leading back to a forger, be easier to track?

Comment

• I think that, had the 'diary' been a later forgery then the forger/nest of forgers would have been traced. An earlier forgery would be more difficult to trace.
          At the end of the day, it has caused nothing but misery, conflict, ill health and divorce for many involved in it.
          It has made little money (except in publishing books) for anyone, including any alleged forgery author and ultimately changed hands for a nominal £1.
          A pretty pointless forgery if it is ;-).

Regards

Comment

• Originally posted by Spider View Post
            I think that, had the 'diary' been a later forgery then the forger/nest of forgers would have been traced. An earlier forgery would be more difficult to trace.
            At the end of the day, it has caused nothing but misery, conflict, ill health and divorce for many involved in it.
            It has made little money (except in publishing books) for anyone, including any alleged forgery author and ultimately changed hands for a nominal £1.

Regards

I'm not so sure about the "making little money" part.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I think that, had the 'diary' been a later forgery then the forger/nest of forgers would have been traced. An earlier forgery would be more difficult to trace.

Regards
              A lot of money went Mr Barretts way believe me not bad when all he wanted was to be able to buy a green house but the whole thing got out of hand .
              Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                A lot of money went Mr Barretts way believe me not bad when all he wanted was to be able to buy a green house but the whole thing got out of hand .
                It is 'relatively' little in terms of publishing rights etc, wasn't it about £40k total? No idea what publishing books would bring.

If it were a forgery it didn't work out financially for the forgers that's for sure and Mr. Barrett certainly wasn't capable of undertaking it.

Regards

Comment

It is 'relatively' little in terms of publishing rights etc, wasn't it about £40k total? No idea what publishing books would bring.

If it were a forgery it didn't work out financially for the forgers that's for sure and Mr. Barrett certainly wasn't capable of undertaking it.

Regards
                  I think Mr Barretts roll in this was purely by chance and not by any planning of his doing.

Comment

The Old Hoax theory, at least, has science on its side although, admittedly, the science can be faked if you know how.

I don't believe there's an Old Hoax theory per se, only an Old Document theory, so from that standpoint, I'd say the author's early, insider knowledge of the Ripper case, and of the Maybrick household, is a clue to the author himself.

Who or what is the link between Maybrick and the Ripper investigation, or between James and Jack himself? What was the connection and who would have made it?

Comment

• Love the title of the poll ;-) The [B]Dairy[B] of Jack the Ripper

Why would any forger pick a suspect living 200 miles away from the crime scene?

Regards

Comment

• Love the title of the poll ;-) The Dairy of Jack the Ripper
                        Cue the "milking" jokes!

I just wonder if Old Hoax theorists are interested in finding their forger by looking at possible links between the Maybrick circle and the Ripper investigation.

Comment

• I'd just assumed that they used "Dairy" because of all the BS around the "Diary".
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• That'll be enough Dairy jokes Mr. Gut

Just try making a pole sometimes. Not as simple as it looks

Roy

Sink the Bismark

Comment

• G'day Roy

You've got my Hereford sympathies on the Poll issue
                              G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
                                That'll be enough Dairy jokes Mr. Gut

Just try making a pole sometimes. Not as simple as it looks

Roy

Bit of a cow when you make that sort of mistake isn't it?
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X